Sponsored

Best way to find out if a hotel or motel has any charging options?

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
What's the best way to find out if a hotel or motel has any charging options? Could be a charger or a receptacle. And what about getting info on campground receptacles?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

What's the best way to find out if a hotel or motel has any charging options? Could be a charger or a receptacle. And what about getting info on campground receptacles?
Plugshare is my go-to for hotels, for campgrounds it's usually dependent on the particular camp site, so when putting in the reservation I either ask about power or look it up on their website.

In my experience, most of the front desk people at hotels don't have a clue about the charging situation, just that "they have one".

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Most likely it'll be listed in PlugShare. I usually have my filter set to CCS and J1772 plugs only, and toggle the J1772 on/off depending on whether or not I care about Level 2 chargers. Note, if you get a Tesla Tap or the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter you can also use the Tesla Destination chargers (not Superchargers).

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

Definitely check Plugshare. It captures the feedback of people who have actually tried to charge there. In many cases they will even list 110v outlets if accessible. As pointed out above, front desk people often don't have a clue even when a hotel website lists charger availability, as they increasingly do. If they have valet parking, that's where to ask.

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

Other thing to be aware of, chargers are typically first come first serve so you may want to get there close to checkin time, and be courteous about how long you charge and stay parked.

I recently got to a hotel with Tesla and J1772 plugs and starting charging on the J1772. When a KIA arrived minutes later we talked about sharing it. I eventually moved to the Tesla charger when it opened up to allow them to charge since I had an adapter. The adapter is a worthy investment since Tesla L2 chargers are common.

one other note: you can filter in Airbnb for places with charging. Be sure to ask the type there as well unless you have the adapter.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Other thing to be aware of, chargers are typically first come first serve so you may want to get there close to checkin time, and be courteous about how long you charge and stay parked.

I recently got to a hotel with Tesla and J1772 plugs and starting charging on the J1772. When a KIA arrived minutes later we talked about sharing it. I eventually moved to the Tesla charger when it opened up to allow them to charge since I had an adapter. The adapter is a worthy investment since Tesla L2 chargers are common.

one other note: you can filter in Airbnb for places with charging. Be sure to ask the type there as well unless you have the adapter.
Only thing to be careful about is the Tesla can charge off of 277V that's common in commercial spaces like parking garages. J1772 as a spec doesn't allow it. I have no idea if the Rivian will support it but none of my other EVs would.
Sponsored