First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Subject says it all… you can wish for fold flat seats or no glass roofs or yada yada yad, but pound for pound, is there a better Truck entering the market?

#2 is there a better SUV?

the truck market is very tight s00n, but 7 seater SUVs…… I don’t know of many/any?

Rivian is NOT the cheapest EV but there is tons of value for what you get.

Cancelling my Lightning first 12,000 preorder.
Still holding Fisker Ocean First preorder

Rivian’s just have good value IMO yet expensive.?
Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Couldn't agree more, on paper it's too good of a value for what you get when comparing to ICE equivalent.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

BTW, your Julia Quad is dope!

Haha ty. Also an amazing underdog car/value for what you get with the exception of service being hit or miss.

Sponsored

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Haha ty. Also an amazing underdog car/value for what you get with the exception of service being hit or miss.
Note purposeful misspelling of Giulia, long story of gal I’d rather not get into. Glad she hasn’t cost you too much yet!!

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Agreed. Seems like they are willing to hide all of their losses for selling these vehicles for so cheap (maybe even at a loss at first?) among all of the capital expenditures and depreciation expenses. Even if they were selling their vehicles for a healthy margin, they would still be a net loss over the next 5 years at least. Might as well sell them for a great value while customer loyalty is built. Kind of like Tesla did with Model S and X giving free supercharging for life. That benefit is worth thousands of dollars for those lucky enough to be grandfathered in. Seems like the early bird gets the worm as demonstrated by those of you who were the earliest adopters of Rivian getting a free wheel upgrade. Even more loss just to gain your loyalty.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Quality & value look good for the price point but not as amazing as people make it sound. If you're into serious off roading (and if it does in fact perform very well there, which early tests seem to indicate) that adds a lot of extra value. If you really really need the (likely quite cramped) 6th and 7th seats of the R1S that adds value, too.

But most won't and taking away those two things puts the R1T/R1S at an average/good value proposition. It's a nice looking car with a nice looking interior but certainly not equivalent to a luxury car. Early reviews seem to indicate the same of ride quality and driving experience.

Add in the fact that you have to deal with the cons of an EV and the risks of a first production from a brand new company. We already know that Rivian is struggling to build cars, they could/should turn it around but it's a real risk factor.

The R1T/R1S strength lies in being a jack of all trades. The downsides are all the unknowns/risks and being very large vehicles.

It's just a matter of people being honest with what they're looking for. If you're not going to offroad seriously (most forest roads don't really count) and don't need the 6th & 7th seats, it's becoming a very competitive market in 5 seat ev suvs.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Quality & value look good for the price point but not as amazing as people make it sound. If you're into serious off roading (and if it does in fact perform very well there, which early tests seem to indicate) that adds a lot of extra value. If you really really need the (likely quite cramped) 6th and 7th seats of the R1S that adds value, too.

But most won't and taking away those two things puts the R1T/R1S at an average/good value proposition. It's a nice looking car with a nice looking interior but certainly not equivalent to a luxury car. Early reviews seem to indicate the same of ride quality and driving experience.

Add in the fact that you have to deal with the cons of an EV and the risks of a first production from a brand new company. We already know that Rivian is struggling to build cars, they could/should turn it around but it's a real risk factor.

The R1T/R1S strength lies in being a jack of all trades. The downsides are all the unknowns/risks and being very large vehicles.

It's just a matter of people being honest with what they're looking for. If you're not going to offroad seriously (most forest roads don't really count) and don't need the 6th & 7th seats, it's becoming a very competitive market in 5 seat ev suvs.
Think this can be broken down more simply. If I wanted to reserve an electric pickup truck today the R1T is slightly cheaper with more standard equipment. I’m removing both $40k Chevy and Ford offerings because it’s unclear when the average person who didn’t preorder early will get access. Hummer and Silverado will cost over $100k until the cheaper versions are offered in a couple of years.
The R1S competes with the Model X at this point. And competes is pushing it since they don’t have the same mission.

I think “best” as OP states it is subjective. However I’d agree with someone like Doug Demuro when he said (paraphrased) the R1T gets you 70% of the Hummer for substantially cheaper.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

If you're into serious off roading (and if it does in fact perform very well there, which early tests seem to indicate) that adds a lot of extra value. If you really really need the (likely quite cramped) 6th and 7th seats of the R1S that adds value, too.

But most won't and taking away those two things puts the R1T/R1S at an average/good value proposition.
This makes sense logically, but most of us in the North American market don’t buy what we need, we buy what we want or think we might need. So, for many people the features you mentioned shouldn’t count in Rivian’s favor, but they do when cross-shopping.

Beyond that, I think a big component of the R1 platform’s value is the suspension. The fact that we can have a truck or SUV with off-road capabilities beyond most others while offering a comfortable ride means people can have what they want without paying the price in ride comfort on- or off-road. Then, because of the suspension design, we apparently get outstanding handling in addition to the ride comfort which means that the only compromise we have to make when it comes to the suspension is that we give up simplicity.

I think anyone who values the sophisticated suspension isn’t cross-shopping the Lightning or Silverado EV because they aren’t in the same class.

Sponsored

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
on the R1S value - assuming the vehicle is what has been communicated, I think it's an underappreciated / amazing value and PR Story just waiting to happen.

I commented to a friend the other day, when the R1S starts shipping in volume and showing up on streets, it will be a whole new level of 'buzz' Yes, the R1T has rightly been the focus, but now the competitive landscape has caught up (at least in terms of news). But the R1S, as far as I can tell, has NO equivalent - NONE. Oh sure, there's that Tesla thing - but come on that's not really an SUV - is it?

The R1S is going to be HUGE - again, assuming Rivian can deliver.

R1S LE LG (March-April delivery - fingers crossed)

OP
OP
Gearhead500

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
I guess prove me wrong.
What other available EV vehicle is out there?
The Fisker Ocean is 70k five seater vs R1S 7

R1T? Who? Fords overpriced dealer $pecial?
Put the R1T options into a Lightning and it costs more.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Put the R1T options into a Lightning and it costs more.
Exactly, and the Ford’s suspension is pretty basic compared to the Rivian’s. I think the most compelling differentiator in the Lightning’s favor is the bed size, for people who need the extra space.

I think the scale readout in the taillights of the Ford is clever, too. I wonder if Rivian could do something like that, but in a horizontal configuration with the tailgate light. If they can calculate loading from suspension data (pressure in the air suspension?) and address segments of the tailgate light to show a basic bar graph then it could even be an OTA update for the R1T.

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
The sales actual sales numbers will tell the real story.

GOLFISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Ridgline, Subaru Outback, Odyssey, Prius

When comparing ride quality. What are you comparing it to?
It has 4 corner air suspension combined with a hydrolic ride control system. And a 3 or 4 setting ride softenes control. Separate from ride height.
The rivian truck and suv are not "very large vehicles". A 4x8 sheet of plywood will not slide into a r1s.
And the r1t is smaller than the Ford, chevy, and ram full size
Sponsored