DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

This might be a good option for winter then, if you get studless then the extra clearance may be enough for chains. What is the difference in height between the 20s and the 21s or 22s?
Unfortunately, regardless of the height, Rivian doesn't look favorably on using chains on the 20' tires. I don't know how they would treat damage caused by chains on a different 20" tire. I'm guessing they wouldn't like that, either.

Interestingly, I found this on page 151 of the current version of the manual, but not on the previous one that was a few pages shorter. I believe it was the 178-page version, rather than this 185-pager downloaded from their site yesterday.

Rivian R1T R1S Best tire / wheel combo for deep snow. 20220127_123834
Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Unfortunately, regardless of the height, Rivian doesn't look favorably on using chains on the 20' tires. I don't know how they would treat damage caused by chains on a different 20" tire. I'm guessing they wouldn't like that, either.

Interestingly, I found this on page 151 of the current version of the manual, but not on the previous one that was a few pages shorter. I believe it was the 178-page version, rather than this 185-pager downloaded from their site yesterday.

20220127_123834.jpg
it’s definitely a clearance issue, given that the 20” size is an inch bigger OD than the other tire options.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH

20220127_123834.jpg
I remember reading this now. I interpret it as a "at your own risk" disclaimer which doesn't say chains won't work, just that there's always the risk of panel damage. If the mentioned risk of damage to suspension, brakes or perhaps there's specifically some vulnerable parts around the wheels, the design should be changed to protect anything around the wheel (as soon as you're off-road, there are rocks and branches trying to attack the back of the wheel … chains are designed to avoid damage.)
Anyway, I found these:
https://shopautosock.mcgeecompany.com/truck-autosock-69/p24412/?from=275-65r20

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Yes, indeed! Thank you for dropping this in. Unfortunately, it doesn't address the Load Index rating, although I think Rivian has taken the cautious approach, which is wise. Still, I'm looking forward to hearing from them about their minimum acceptable rating. Every acceptable point reduction will open up safe options for additional replacement tires.
1643265782430.png

Unfortunately, the Owner's Guide also doesn't mention the Load Index rating for the R1T's tires. It includes a Glossary of Tire Terminology, but not what I'm seeking to find.

Thanks again for finding this from the conversation @BigE and @DrTroy were having in the thread:
Rivian R1T - My (Owner) First Impressions that @Iwantatesla started for us.
I've never understood why they put those PSI's there when there's no way in hell that anyone should inflate their tires that high. If it's the max then why not state that?

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I've never understood why they put those PSI's there when there's no way in hell that anyone should inflate their tires that high. If it's the max then why not state that?
That's a factory recommended cold psi. It's much higher than most vehicle spec, but it's not a max for just about any car tire (usually that's about 50 psi) and truck tires max out at more like 80 psi.
I run 50 psi hot on every EV I've owned and on most of my road cars and trucks. There's a process for testing for correct psi. It's a bit complicated, but involved hot-cold temp range and contact patch measurement (temperature at outside, middle and inside of tread) as well as the "print" of the contact patch. In general, higher pressures are better (for wet traction, wear and rolling resistance.) I run lower pressures just for ride quality in some vehicles and (much) lower pressures for track driving (based on the same process of correct psi for the driving conditions.)

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's a factory recommended cold psi. It's much higher than most vehicle spec, but it's not a max for just about any car tire (usually that's about 50 psi) and truck tires max out at more like 80 psi.
I run 50 psi hot on every EV I've owned and on most of my road cars and trucks. There's a process for testing for correct psi. It's a bit complicated, but involved hot-cold temp range and contact patch measurement (temperature at outside, middle and inside of tread) as well as the "print" of the contact patch. In general, higher pressures are better (for wet traction, wear and rolling resistance.) I run lower pressures just for ride quality in some vehicles and (much) lower pressures for track driving (based on the same process of correct psi for the driving conditions.)
Annoyingly the requirement in the US is to display the tire pressure needed for full load only.

prior to whichever year thst started to be enforced, many European cars stil showed partial load pressures and full load pressures.

my focus RS shows 46 PSI front/rear on the placard, but in Europe it is 41/38 at partial load, 46/46 full load.

my previous mini showed three sets of pressures. Part load, full load, and speeds over 160km/h for instance.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

it’s definitely a clearance issue, given that the 20” size is an inch bigger OD than the other tire options.
Yes that was my thought as well.

I wouldn’t expect Rivian or any manufacturer to cover damage caused by chains in any case.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Yes that was my thought as well.

I wouldn’t expect Rivian or any manufacturer to cover damage caused by chains in any case.
Absolutely agree. Just thought the limitations mentioned for different sizes was unique.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
If I wanted to deal with having two sets of truck-sized wheels around that’s what I’d do. Would be near unstoppable.
I also kinda wanna roll them on steelies like these

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I also kinda wanna roll them on steelies like these
Kahn is a joke, leather lined defenders with the ugliest glued on bodykits imaginable… ?

if you want steelies, Cragar Soft 8s are the way. Is this not America? ? ?? ?

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Kahn is a joke, leather lined defenders with the ugliest glued on bodykits imaginable… ?

if you want steelies, Cragar Soft 8s are the way. Is this not America? ? ?? ?
Oh yeah, gaudy as fuck, but I still want Steelies like those. Because, why not?
Sponsored