Best tire / wheel combo for deep snow.

messinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Tech bro
Recalling the TFL offroading test, one of the main takeaways for me was the weight being an issue in ice. I spent 8 hours getting back from Whistler -> Seattle (instead of 5) yesterday due to freezing rain on roads/bridges and was OK in my model 3 on snow tires but was wondering how the R1S on ATs would do as its twice the weight. I suppose I have plenty of time to wait and see how others fare, but I'm likely in the camp of getting the 21" + whatever snow/ice tires are available in 21" by then.

The 20" AT seem great but I'll only ever need it in the winter and I'm worried i might want more for the semi-frequent freezeovers. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Recalling the TFL offroading test, one of the main takeaways for me was the weight being an issue in ice. I spent 8 hours getting back from Whistler -> Seattle (instead of 5) yesterday due to freezing rain on roads/bridges and was OK in my model 3 on snow tires but was wondering how the R1S on ATs would do as its twice the weight. I suppose I have plenty of time to wait and see how others fare, but I'm likely in the camp of getting the 21" + whatever snow/ice tires are available in 21" by then.

The 20" AT seem great but I'll only ever need it in the winter and I'm worried i might want more for the semi-frequent freezeovers. Thoughts?
In winter conditions at 7000 ft. with potential deep snow/ice every day, and driving a heavy Tesla X, winter tires are preferable because of the “softer” rubber — though all terrain for 4 seasons are preferred by some because they save $ and the trouble of swapping out. For me in Jackson the issue is winter vs. winter plus studs. When I lived in Park City at the same elevation with better and more frequent plowing and sand/salt, winter tires and wheels were enough for Sequoia and Tesla 3 — no need for studs.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Studded nokians, if it is as icy as in their video.

on the other hand, of a road has an equivalent amount of ice on it as the trail they were on, it’s probably closed

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Members like the Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded tire models, LT3 or 10 SUV, for cold, snow, and especially ice. Which model of these two is better for the Rivians? I face snow and ice for 5+ months. The LT3 is size 275/65 R20 and the 10 SUV is 275/60 R20. LT3 top speed is 100 mph and the 10 SUV is 118 MPH. Weight is an issue too, the LTE is designed for light trucks, and the Rivians are heavy, but both models are designed for substantial heavy vehicles!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Checking out separate set of Rivian 20 inch wheels for winter tires. They have three choices, but I have no idea which will suffer less damage in deep snow or even if it will make a difference which I get. Thanks…

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Checking out separate set of Rivian 20 inch wheels for winter tires. They have three choices, but I have no idea which will suffer less damage in deep snow or even if it will make a difference which I get. Thanks…
I think the dark grey ones will clog up with snow less and be easier to remove any accumulated snow/ice from. The feeling of a wheel put out of balance from being packed up with snow isn’t much fun.

TheGymKid

First Name
RivianRunner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, LE, El Cap, 22"
I'm seeing the 22" stocks aren't having 'sliding' issues in the snow.
Sponsored