Best Floor Jack?

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
I have my jack pucks and am planning my first tire rotation. Does anyone have a recommendation on a floor jack (will get 2 so I can rotate)?

I read somewhere that the jack needs to extend to at least 23" and lift 3 tons. Correct?
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Why do you want two jacks? You only need one jack, although you should get at least one pair of jack stands.

skunn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T, Tesla Model 3
I did rotation with 1 floor jack. Torin Big Red 4-ton. Got high enough with 1EV puck and truck in Tire change mode. Its also low profile enough to get under our Tesla model 3 (looks like you have some Tesla in your profile pic) I did a 5-wheel rotation, so only one corner up at a time.

OP
OP
mkennedy1996

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Why do you want two jacks? You only need one jack, although you should get at least one pair of jack stands.
I have 4 tires on the car and no spare. If I take one off, how do I take the other one off at the same time to rotate them?

OP
OP
mkennedy1996

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
I did rotation with 1 floor jack. Torin Big Red 4-ton. Got high enough with 1EV puck and truck in Tire change mode. Its also low profile enough to get under our Tesla model 3 (looks like you have some Tesla in your profile pic) I did a 5-wheel rotation, so only one corner up at a time.
Thanks for the info. That jack has a 20" lift plus the puck was enough. That is what I needed to know. Were you at the top of the jack or could it have gone higher?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I have 4 tires on the car and no spare. If I take one off, how do I take the other one off at the same time to rotate them?
That’s what jack stands are for.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That’s what jack stands are for.
I haven’t jacked mine up yet, would you have to remove the plastic belly pans in order to use a jack stand since there isn’t a frame or unibody pinch weld to put the jack stand on? I have a spare so the one jack/five tire method is my plan but I’m curious.

skunn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T, Tesla Model 3
Thanks for the info. That jack has a 20" lift plus the puck was enough. That is what I needed to know. Were you at the top of the jack or could it have gone higher?
was pretty close to max lifting the rear wheels off the ground (Again in tire change lifted mode). I had planned on maybe stacking two pucks if needed, but didnt need to.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I haven’t jacked mine up yet, would you have to remove the plastic belly pans in order to use a jack stand since there isn’t a frame or unibody pinch weld to put the jack stand on? I have a spare so the one jack/five tire method is my plan but I’m curious.
The Rivian recommended solution is basically a rennstand.

I’ll probably use the lower control arms, as I’ve done with previous vehicles.

OP
OP
mkennedy1996

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
The Rivian recommended solution is basically a rennstand.

I’ll probably use the lower control arms, as I’ve done with previous vehicles.
The rennstand looks like it uses the same location as the jack puck??

If you can put a jack stand on the lower control arms, why not just jack it from there?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
These look like they go into the same spot as the jack puck???
They look the Same as ones that used to be made by a company called safejack. “rennstand”. I believe they are made by safejack.

The central part comes off. you sit that on the floor Jack, put it on the jack point, lift the vehicle, and attach the legs.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Where is the approved jack stand location?
Anyone know the answer here? My inclination is “at the puck locations” but since there are not three per side, this logic is clearly flawed.
Sponsored