LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

This ought to stir the pot some.... on the topic of newly received Rivian "owners" flipping them for a tidy quick profit, what do you think is the smartest move in the marketplace right now? Question posed for either R1T or R1S. For the time being, let's assume the vast majority of re-sells are Launch Editions. Going with L.E. green paint may or may not prove to be the most profitable or desirable configuration. Then there's the choice of interior plastic cowskin shade, black (really gray), ocean (hardly gray) or forest edge (pea soup).

Picking L.E. green no matter which model may seem a no-brainer due to its eventual exclusivity and 'tell' for being a Launch Edition. But really any shade of green is far down the list of most popular vehicle paint colors. So L.E. green actually restricts your market appeal - right?

I know a poll here would tell us the math after a while but there's already enough paint color polls. Figured some may want to chime-in here and just express their opinions about the smartest way to configure a Rivian for the (hypothetical) purpose of reselling it and finding a wider audience and the most profit.

I'll start with the R1S. I think a no-extra cost selection of White paint and off-white Ocean Coast interior would make an appealing all-electric, 7-passenger SUV to sell into the emerging marketplace. Maybe going with the BM darker interior is better.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Silver and white generally have the highest resale value. Really any neutral.

exceptions being “rare” colours.

dzmconstr

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S 75D
Good points, it'll be LE or neutral tone exterior - doubt it'll be red/yellow/or Limestone. As for interior I think OC more so than BM.
All IMO,
Dzm

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
People willing to pay 1.5-2.0x retail on a flipped truck are all about image. I think you underestimate Launch Green in that regard. They want to be seen as trend setters and cutting edge. And launch green is the only color that will hold that into the future.

One thing I liked about my Model S is that it had the “original” nose cone design. I actually liked it better, but it also made a statement that I jumped in early vs. the masses that came in after it was more safe.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

This ought to stir the pot some.... on the topic of newly received Rivian "owners" flipping them for a tidy quick profit, what do you think is the smartest move in the marketplace right now? Question posed for either R1T or R1S. For the time being, let's assume the vast majority of re-sells are Launch Editions. Going with L.E. green paint may or may not prove to be the most profitable or desirable configuration. Then there's the choice of interior plastic cowskin shade, black (really gray), ocean (hardly gray) or forest edge (pea soup).

Picking L.E. green no matter which model may seem a no-brainer due to its eventual exclusivity and 'tell' for being a Launch Edition. But really any shade of green is far down the list of most popular vehicle paint colors. So L.E. green actually restricts your market appeal - right?

I know a poll here would tell us the math after a while but there's already enough paint color polls. Figured some may want to chime-in here and just express their opinions about the smartest way to configure a Rivian for the (hypothetical) purpose of reselling it and finding a wider audience and the most profit.

I'll start with the R1S. I think a no-extra cost selection of White paint and off-white Ocean Coast interior would make an appealing all-electric, 7-passenger SUV to sell into the emerging marketplace. Maybe going with the BM darker interior is better.
Compass yellow with Forest Edge interior

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Confident the CL listing with a Rivian website screenshot is absolutely legit and really quite a bargain! :CWL:

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Whichever color results in the fastest production so that you can actually flip it. :cool:

Sponsored

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Obnoxious Orange ...

... wait, I thought you said "FlipAt'em" (🖕) color. MY BAD 😁

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
One thing I liked about my Model S is that it had the “original” nose cone design. I actually liked it better, but it also made a statement that I jumped in early vs. the masses that came in after it was more safe.
To say that there are a lot of Tesla cars in my neck of the woods is an understatement. But, if you were to put two white Model S (one with the "original nose" on the left and the other on the right) next to each other in the grocery store parking lot and put a gun to each patron's head and asked them: "what statement does the Tesla on the left make versus the other Tesla?"

If the answer needed to be ... the owner was an early adopter (or the like) ... there would just be a pile of dead bodies in front of the grocery store.

KiloV

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5 Cabriolet, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Executive
It may sound weird, but Yellow is actually the paint color that has the best resale value in the general market. Don't know why; most yellow cars are pretty fugly to me. However, the Compass Yellow R1S with black 22" wheels and a Black Mountain interior looks really, really great to me. I think that's your flippin winner!
Sponsored