Beginners' guide to EV charging?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Are you just using the vehicle to current limit that then?
Yeah, dialed it down to 24, though it did change itself from 48 to 32.
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I am quite disappointed with Rivian's included charger that only supports 14-50 and 5-15 outlets. There are a lot outlets out there with less than 240Vx50A but more than 120Vx15A.

I was really hoping the included charger would be more like Tesla's that via included/optional plug-and-play pigtails you can plug it into nearly any outlet type and charge the max rate that the outlet can handle.

I recently saw this product/service to converts Tesla's mobile charger (that can be plugged into nearly any outlet type) into a J1772. I'm probably going this route unless something better comes along (or I buy a different house). http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67&product_id=105

Only downside is that it has max of 32A (max you can pull from a 40A circuit breaker). But I'll also have Rivian's included charger for situations where I am plugging into a 50 amp breaker.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I am quite disappointed with Rivian's included charger that only supports 14-50 and 5-15 outlets. There are a lot outlets out there with less than 240Vx50A but more than 120Vx15A.

I was really hoping the included charger would be more like Tesla's that via included/optional plug-and-play pigtails you can plug it into nearly any outlet type and charge the max rate that the outlet can handle.

I recently saw this product/service to converts Tesla's mobile charger (that can be plugged into nearly any outlet type) into a J1772. I'm probably going this route unless something better comes along (or I buy a different house). http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67&product_id=105

Only downside is that it has max of 32A (max you can pull from a 40A circuit breaker). But I'll also have Rivian's included charger for situations where I am plugging into a 50 amp breaker.
Rivian's portable charger is also limited to 32A for the same safety/code reason as Tesla's portable charger.

Reactions: sub

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Just because they've only released two pigtails doesn't mean the portable unit can't support others if Rivian decides to make them. My guess is, from a product point of view, they prioritized the two most common configurations.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just because they've only released two pigtails doesn't mean the portable unit can't support others if Rivian decides to make them. My guess is, from a product point of view, they prioritized the two most common configurations.
True - it is possible that it has undocumented features that Rivian plans to utilize down the road. But is there any reason to suspect that is the case?

To detect multiple 240v or multiple 120v plug types, there would have to be plug amperage identifying circuity in pigtail. I don't think anyone has confirmed if such circuitry exists or not. That's actually a really good question for the "ask me anything" thread.

Unless Rivian (or someone else ) shows that it was designed to support other plug types, think it is wise to plan assuming that it does not.

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
True - it is possible that it has undocumented features that Rivian plans to utilize down the road. But is there any reason to suspect that is the case?

To detect multiple 240v or multiple 120v plug types, there would have to be plug amperage identifying circuity in pigtail. I don't think anyone has confirmed if such circuitry exists or not. That's actually a really good question for the "ask me anything" thread.

Unless Rivian (or someone else ) shows that it was designed to support other plug types, think it is wise to plan assuming that it does not.
Oh, it wasn't in this thread. I shared these close up photos elsewhere...

There are extra pins on the pig tails. I'll let one of the paid influences tear theirs down, but I would absolutely bet that the pigtails have identifying circuitry in them.

Rivian R1T R1S Beginners' guide to EV charging? 20220311-DSC_7644

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh, it wasn't in this thread. I shared these close up photos elsewhere...

There are extra pins on the pig tails. I'll let one of the paid influences tear theirs down, but I would absolutely bet that the pigtails have identifying circuitry in them.

20220311-DSC_7644.jpg
Thanks - and yes that is encouraging! It does seem very likely that one of the extra pins is used to identify amperage.

If that is the case, I bet that even if Rivian doesn't sell other pigtails someone else will. Just like there are 3rd party pigtails for Tesla's mobile charger.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Thanks - and yes that is encouraging! It does seem very likely that one of the extra pins is used to identify amperage.

If that is the case, I bet that even if Rivian doesn't sell other pigtails someone else will. Just like there are 3rd party pigtails for Tesla's mobile charger.
I'm locked out of the frunk while I'm waiting for the software update to complete, but I'll measure the resistances across the pigtail pins later and report back if I find anything noteworthy.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

Keep in mind that 4 are used for 220v, so only 1 extra.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Keep in mind that 4 are used for 220v, so only 1 extra.
The pigtail may well drop the neutral when using the 240v plug since it shouldn't be needed. That'll be an easy test with the multimeter...

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Some initial findings:

Rivian R1T R1S Beginners' guide to EV charging? IMG_8503

• Pin 1 is always hot.
  • Pin 2 is hot for 240V, neutral for 120V.
  • Neutral is dropped for 240V dongle.
  • Pin 3 is always equipment grounding conductor
  • Pins 4 and 5 have a resistance across them. My multimeter probes are too big to make good contact, and I was only able to find something too small to make a good connection. I'll try to find something just right to stick in there and report the ohms. I'm kind of expecting them to match the Level 2 control resistances -- in which case custom dongles might be totally reasonable.
Sponsored