Bed Rails

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
Compared to other pickups out there the truck bed on the R1T seems pretty basic. It looks like you only have 4 tie downs and nothing else. I would like something more capable and flexible for securing stuff I put in the bed. Doing some research it seems like L-track is a versatile, proven and reasonably priced solution, but I've never used it.
Is that the best solution for adding multiple, strong tie downs in the bed? Is there something else I should look at? I am just looking for a way to keep normal stuff (bikes, mowers, tools, etc) tied down so they don't slide around.
I am considering contacting customer support to see if they would add something like this as an accessory in the future. While it looks dead simple to install in a normal pickup, I would be worried about what's behind the space I am drilling into and would hate to mess up something just because I chose a poor spot to drill. I would also think they could make it look much better and more integrated. Anyone else think this would be useful?
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Yes, L-Track is a good option.

You may also be able to get a deal from a parts yard on the "Utili-Track" system out of a Nissan Frontier or Titan.

I agree the absence of any rails is an odd oversight on an adventure-focused vehicle. I had a Nissan Frontier, and the Utili-Track was a great feature!

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
L track is awesome. I just wish I didn't have to drill holes in the bed (even possible?).

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
L track is awesome. I just wish I didn't have to drill holes in the bed (even possible?).
You could grind down the paint and TIG weld the rails on... But I assume that would be even less desirable damage, for you.

Sponsored

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

Anyone do this? I how did you install?

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

How close is the floor of the bed to the battery pack? Drilling holes could be problematic.

Brian

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Might want to A: consult rivian how drilling or tacking to the bed, and B: watch the Munro video where they have the plastic pulled off it as well as where they lift the body off the skateboard. Would be instructive.

IIRC it should be fine drilling anywhere roughly spare wheel well and back, as well as a decent distance in front of it on the large pack trucks.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

B: watch the Munro video where they have the plastic pulled off it as well as where they lift the body off the skateboard. Would be instructive.
I thought I watched all their videos but I don't remember seeing this in any of them. Got a link?

JEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 2016 Volvo S60
Occupation
Technical Support
The rear motors and suspension components are under the area in front of the spare tire. The battery is under the passenger compartment. Here are some pictures from the skateboard platform at the factory delivery center.
Rivian R1T R1S Bed Rails IMG_4437
Rivian R1T R1S Bed Rails IMG_4436

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I thought I watched all their videos but I don't remember seeing this in any of them. Got a link?
No, you're right. I was thinkingof some picture from IG. Looks like they haven't (wont?) Make a video covering these.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

No, you're right. I was thinkingof some picture from IG. Looks like they haven't (wont?) Make a video covering these.

Videos take a while to make, but this should give OP all the info they need about the possibility of adding rails. I'm really curious about the amount of void space that still exists in places- behind the battery and behind the air compressor tank. I'm going to investigate putting a larger compressor in and a larger buffer tank so it can switch modes quicker and more reliably.

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
it's not metal under the plastic cover? What is it then?
There’s a frame, but the plastic isn’t like a bed liner. There’s no bed underneath the plastic.

Edit: looks like I was already beat with pics. I don’t see how you think you just “sand through to the metal”.
Sponsored