DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
"... absolutely no downside ..."

So you knew - for absolute certain - that configuring an LE and then changing to Max Pack later wouldn't put you later in line than those folks who chose a Max Pack right away?

Maybe you were privy to some internal communication confirming that which most of us never saw?

Since the odds of me buying an LE were 0%, and the odds of me buying a Max Pack were 100%, and since I wanted to guarantee my Max Pack "place in line" was as high up as possible... I saw absolutely zero upside to reserving the LE and pulling a switch.

And even today - knowing that maybe I would've gotten invited to this first test drive even if I did the switcharoo - I still wouldn't have done it. Because I still see no guarantee that that wouldn't have hurt my place in line for a Max Pack.
They explicitly stated that switching would not affect your place in line.
This carries over from the original pre-order FAQ that stated the same (and still does).
You are still able to change anything - even switch between the R1T & R1S - without impacting your place in line (changes may impact delivery date due to production timing).

Sorry you missed it or misunderstood.
Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Invite received and confirmed. I have an R1T LE on order as well as a Max Pack R1T.

I'm gonna chat up CS prior and see if they will let me test load a dirt bike in the bed .... I mean I can easily bring a bike up to Sonoma.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Invite received and confirmed. I have an R1T LE on order as well as a Max Pack R1T.

I'm gonna chat up CS prior and see if they will let me test load a dirt bike in the bed .... I mean I can easily bring a bike up to Sonoma.
Ride the husky there. Ride directly into bed of R1T. Easy!

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
They explicitly stated that switching would not affect your place in line.
This carries over from the original pre-order FAQ that stated the same (and still does).
You are still able to change anything - even switch between the R1T & R1S - without impacting your place in line (changes may impact delivery date due to production timing).

Sorry you missed it or misunderstood.
"Switching configs away from Launch Editions doesn't affect your delivery order"
... cannot possibly be true at the same time as ...
"All Launch Editions will deliver before anything else"

So if I read it, I probably brushed it off as poor communication with ambiguous meaning at best.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
"Switching configs away from Launch Editions doesn't affect your delivery order"
... cannot possibly be true at the same time as ...
"All Launch Editions will deliver before anything else"

So if I read it, I probably brushed it off as poor communication with ambiguous meaning at best.
AFAIK, neither of these statements have been made by Rivian. Certainly not in conjunction with configuring your vehicle.

"Place in line" ≠ "Delivery order" (delivery order is dependent on multiple variables)

Switching away from LE will indeed affect your delivery order, but it will not change your "place in line". If you originally configure an LE, then later switch to a Max Pack (as an example), your delivery time will be the same as if you originally configured that way. Yes, it will be later than a Launch Edition (or other configuration that enters production sooner), but that is not the issue under discussion.

If you were order number 500 (as an example), and configured an R1T Max pack and 40 of the 499 ahead of you also configured R1T Max Pack, your effective order number would be 41.
If you originally configured an LE, then later switched to a Max Pack, those same 40 would still be ahead of you, but since your "place in line" was the same, you would still slot in at #41. Those that ordered later would not be ahead of you. It gets more complicated when you add in location, wheels, colors, packages, etc, but the same relationship holds.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
NON-LE, summer 2020 pre-order, R1T, based in SF: just got my invite to the Sonoma event. Signed up for 2nd week of Nov. Very interested to see what kind of course they set up there. It's a racetrack so... guessing we get to drive on a racetrack? Hopefully some offroad stuff too.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NON-LE, summer 2020 pre-order, R1T, based in SF: just got my invite to the Sonoma event. Signed up for 2nd week of Nov. Very interested to see what kind of course they set up there. It's a racetrack so... guessing we get to drive on a racetrack? Hopefully some offroad stuff too.
ughhuh.
I’ll be hanging around the gate forlorn and kicking a can around ?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Welp I get to go poke around R1Ts at the “preview”, but no driving. Il take what I can get

Jayhox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS
Welp I get to go poke around R1Ts at the “preview”, but no driving. Il take what I can get
I just got the invite today and signed up for November 11th. Crashmtb you're certainly welcome to attend with my wife and I that day if you're around.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just got the invite today and signed up for November 11th. Crashmtb you're certainly welcome to attend with my wife and I that day if you're around.
We‘re starting the drive down on the 11th, have to stop to visit father in law etc along the way. So we won’t be there yet - thanks though I appreciate the offer!

hannahman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'42 Willys MB
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate
Just got invite today. Signed up for morning of 11th. Have R1S reservation. My invite says I just get preview, not demo drive. Would love to drive but this is just fine at this point.

Kenshaka

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Titan/2005 Honda Accord/2017 Zero DSR
Occupation
Radiology Technologist
So excited to see Sacramento is considered "local" for SF events. I'm hopeful we're considered
to be in the service area for their shop there. Do you have a LE reservation or something later? I haven't gotten my evite yet but I didn't reserve until August.
A coworker told me that her husband ask her to tell me that his place of employment(auto repair shop) was sold last July. His boss just informed him that the purchaser was Rivian. The address is 1050 Triangle ct. West Sacramento.

Please be aware that this is second/third hand information. I cannot vouch for it personally.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Mid-2020, Max Pack R1T preorder in the South Bay.
Got the email in the second round on Friday.

Signed up for a test drive on Nov 18th.

My wife was more excited than I'd expected to move work meetings around to be able to join me.

gnatale

First Name
Natalie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX5, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Transit Vehicle Mechanic ( BART Train Cars )
Sonoma, CA​
November 5 - 21, 2021
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM PST

Sonoma Raceway
29355 Arnold Dr, Gate 7
Sonoma, CA 95476

Our First Mile Event Tour is finally here. As a preorder holder, you’ll have an all-access pass to experiences featuring the R1T.

You’ll be able to drive an R1T on a specially designed course to test its capabilities, check out its features up close and learn about the ownership experience.

You can bring up to two guests to ride with you and your Rivian Drive Coach.
Whoo hoo, ???I received my email invitation to the event and am excited to attend and see these tough beauties in person!
Sponsored