Sponsored

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
I have Gear Guard off 95% of the time (only on when I out and about). It's always under my Xfinity Home surveillance cams and I have extremely negligeable drain.

Phrogz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
'66 Ford Jeep, '01 SLK 32AMG, '10 Wrangler, '19 Q7
Occupation
Autonomous Driving Software
My most recent test, using the previous system software (not latest as of today).

Summary: In sub-freezing temperature parking, the truck lost 4.4% of charge per day. 😳

Charged to 85%, drove to the Denver airport. Parked at 69% 9am December 16th. Turned off Hotspot, Wi-Fi, and Gear Guard. Left Bluetooth on. I force quit the Rivian app on my phone and at no point during the trip did I re-launch the app.

Denver airport experienced cold temperatures while I was away, mostly below freezing, including 62 consecutive hours at the end below freezing.
  • 16th: 17°F to 30°F
  • 17th: 5°F to 29°F
  • 18th: 13°F to 39°F
  • 19th: 15°F to 46°F
  • 20th: 22°F to 45°F
  • 21st: -9°F to 50°F
  • 22nd: -18°F to -7°F
  • 23rd: -12°F to 11°F
  • 24th: 5°F to 10°F (it warmed up more after I picked up the truck at 6am)
Upon arrival 8 days later (really 7 days, 21 hours) the truck was at 35%.

Last edited:

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
@brancky3 to hammer this home. I spent a round trip total of 24% of my energy driving to and from the airport (12% each way) compared to 49% sitting idle.
Dude that’s absolutely abysmal. I hope they figure it out soon. Have you thought about trying to put the truck in “vehicle shipping mode” next time to see if this prevents drain?

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Dude that’s absolutely abysmal. I hope they figure it out soon. Have you thought about trying to put the truck in “vehicle shipping mode” next time to see if this prevents drain?
Next time, yea. But someone on here said it didnt make a difference (as did Alex on Autos) and my own testing at home doesn’t seem to care about shipping mode either.

Sponsored

LTD in CBTS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3, Vespa 300, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

In 7 days of sitting in SoCal (45-65 degrees) I went from 237 to 207. Gear Guard off, App off and logged out. Never checked the App once while away. I have 2 Teslas and neither lost a single mile during that short of a stretch. It is way too much drain in my opinion. I have solar and my energy bill is zero, so it doesn't bother me too much but if I was paying for electricity it would bother me over the long haul.

DSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T(22), R1T(23), R1S, ETron, Taycan, Model 3,
I am a new R1T owner, but have owned EVs for a couple of years. There is much to love about the truck and in the three weeks I've had it, my affection for it far outweighs the small handful of criticisms - with the possible exception of the resting battery drain.

I've left my Taycan in a garage for two months and come back to find 1% loss. I have an E-Tron that loses nothing overnight. Both vehicles can be accessed via their app for the status and to operate remote functions. Both monitor for keys within range. All similar functions to the R1T - and yet the R1T is losing 2%-3% per night. (More if left outside in the cold northeast).

It's unclear to me where the vehicle is sending the power. I can say that I'd gladly trade any climate pre-conditioning or any of the other non-selectable features that activate upon remote or proximity waking. I find it difficult to believe Rivian finds it necessary to condition the battery at rest when almost all other manufacturers do not.

So it's a mystery to me.
And a frustration.
And makes me question my R1S deposit.

I am very hopeful for a fix soon.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
For those defending Rivian by pointing to Tesla, here's a 2022 M3 with 5% loss over 37 days:

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
For those defending Rivian by pointing to Tesla, here's a 2022 M3 with 5% loss over 37 days:
This is my experience as well. And I’m doing a direct comparison in exact storage, settings, and weather. The Rivian has been like to like with my Model S. The only vehicle I own that doesn’t drop is the Lightning.

FWIW, I sat down and calculated my losses to see what it actually means. Since the loss happens regardless, I just don’t notice it the majority of time since it’s plugged in over night.

The R1T is on pace to lose roughly 1100kWh/year. For comparison sake, I set my 80 gallon heat pump water heater to 140F and utilize 1200kWh/year for hot water for a family of 4.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
My truck has been parked all week.

Monday around 8:45am
Rivian R1T R1S Battery Vampire Drain Test for R1T: 10 days parked unplugged = 1.2% per day loss. 2B08A0D1-4802-46E8-BDBB-CD2E46B77AAB

Friday at noon
Rivian R1T R1S Battery Vampire Drain Test for R1T: 10 days parked unplugged = 1.2% per day loss. 8BF37C16-8481-4194-B348-49F79FEB1F0C

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Strange question. Sorry if it has been discussed since I didn't feel like reading through another 4 page thread first.

I really like the recent app update that allows me to start and stop charging from the phone. I have a detached garage. Not like a few extra steps is usually that big of a deal, but when it was below 0 degrees it was. Previously I typically was losing 1-1.5% per 24 hours. When I leave it plugged in after charging, I have lost 3 to 4%. It wasn't just the cold weather. It did the same thing in warmer temps. Could be a coincidence because there were a few random days in the past few months when I would lose that much.

Has anyone else noticed that if they leave it plugged in but not charging that the vampire drain gets worse than not having it plugged in at all?

EVentually

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5, Rivian R1T
I lost 10 miles last night with gear guard off...I do park outside, but that's just ridiculous.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
I lost 10 miles last night with gear guard off...I do park outside, but that's just ridiculous.
What’s that in percentage? Miles can fluctuate at the same battery level depending on a lot of factors.
Sponsored