Sponsored

ryanpei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Ford F150 Hybrid
My personal experience with Model Y and reports on forums is that there is no significant vampire losses on Teslas anymore. Sure if using cabin protection in Las Vegas you might experience similar drain, but your Tesla is not representative of the Tesla fleet whatsoever. Every Rivian has this problem though.
It certainly is representative of my Tesla MY (loss 2-3% /day) until about 2 months before trade in. (Then vampire drain appears to have "stopped". My unfounded speculation at the time was that vampire drain was becoming a talking point on forums, and they figured out how to "fix it". But that's just speculation.)

A larger point, and one that I've made before is that we actually have no idea from these anecdotal reports how much drain there actually is (no disrespect to @zonehawk as I still appreciate seeing these reports, and his is one of the longest duration/controlled tests I've seen). But as whole:
- As a group, they are taken in different vehicles with different configs
- Different software settings on each vehicle
- As individuals and as a group - different temps between readings (ie take one reading when I get home and one the next morning, both the ambient and battery temps are different).
- Different use of app (quitting app? leaving it running but not checking in? checking in?)

Furthermore:
- How accurate is judging vampire loss on what the display says?
- What does the % battery remaining actually even mean and how is it calculated (nobody outside Rivian knows this) and is is calculated the same method as a Telsa? as Ford? is Ford simply programmed to display the last known range until driven? Hyundai? Do they all adjust as you drive?
- There are reports Ford does not change in cold temps. That can't be right?
- Why does my rivian percentage occasionally go UP while driving? Doesn't this speak to inaccuracy?
- Does a 3% decrease in percent equal a 3% loss of range?

My Tesla used to tell me I had 300 miles available, but would only reliably go 200. So...which is worse? Notorious inaccuracy? Maybe the Rivian % is a more accurate predictor. Maybe it's not. I can tell you from experience that the range is way more accurate.

I just think we need to take all anecdotal figures with a grain of salt.
And the one by the OP, with a grain of salt, is more promising than some others.
Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
So…about 600kwh per year of usage. That’s insane. What a waste of energy. In California, that’s $250-300/yr just in idle state. Where we live, equivalent to 1 solar panel needed just for idle state of truck.
Waste yes, but you may need to sign up for a different energy plan. I live in CA and 600 kWh would only run me about $60

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Waste yes, but you may need to sign up for a different energy plan. I live in CA and 600 kWh would only run me about $60
Bay Area. The cheapest plan rate has $0.25/kWh but it is $0.60/kWh between 2p and 9p. Current is between $0.36 and $0.49 winter/summer.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
Bay Area. The cheapest plan rate has $0.25/kWh but it is $0.60/kWh between 2p and 9p. Current is between $0.36 and $0.49 winter/summer.
Those are a little cheaper than the normal SDG&E rates we have down her in San Diego. Fortunately SDG&E has some decent EV plans. It drops the Super Off-Peak rates 12am -6am weekdays and 12am - 2pm weekends and holidays to just $0.10 kWh. We typically do all our charging during those Super Off-Peak times. Still not as cheap as other parts of the country but what is in California.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
.10 cents is an excellent off peak rate. It beats the electric utility to your north, SCE, for off-peak pricing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Those are a little cheaper than the normal SDG&E rates we have down her in San Diego. Fortunately SDG&E has some decent EV plans. It drops the Super Off-Peak rates 12am -6am weekdays and 12am - 2pm weekends and holidays to just $0.10 kWh. We typically do all our charging during those Super Off-Peak times. Still not as cheap as other parts of the country but what is in California.
I pay $0.11 flat rate in upstate SC, so at least your super off-peak is cheaper than mine! :cool:

JAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Interesting, calculates to about 65 watts to maintain standby. I'm really curious what the car is doing to require what's basically a laptop running full-time. I know there are various sensors and low-power radios running but these generally don't require a whole lot of energy

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
R1T - Vin 12xxx
Gear Guard: Off
Camping Mode: No
Vehicle Drive Mode: All Purpose
Ambient Temperature while Parked: 0-20 Degrees

Over the course of 8 days, I averaged a loss of 0.66 miles per hour, losing a total of 130 miles while sitting. Or approximately 5-6% a day.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
That’s a lot of paid for electrons going down the drain.

Let‘s hope Rivian makes this a priority for their engineers next year. This amount of energy loss is unacceptable. Vampire drain is a non issue for Ford Lightning owners.

Last edited:

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Must be a cold weather issue. I’m Vin 15xxx and live in SoCal and have noticed no appreciable vampire drain. Gear guard and proximity unlocking are off.

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I'm still waiting for my L2 install but when I return from a cold weather drive I have to hard reset in order for L1 charging to make any headway. On L1 for 8 hours it would maintain % and range but not add to it. Hard reset and start a new charge and the trickle worked just fine. This is in a 50 degree garage after driving in 0 to 15 degree weather. So I bet the vampire electron sucking is more active in cold weather. Rivian needs to get this shit fixed.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
That’s a lot of paid for electrons going down the drain.

Let‘s hope Rivian makes this a priority for their engineers next year. This amount of energy loss is unacceptable. Vampire drain is a non issue for Ford Lightning owners.
I can confirm this. My Pro loses nothing while sitting, making it a better vehicle to take to the airport despite a battery that is more than 25% smaller.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Same with our 2021 Model 3, you'd have to not use it for a few days to see any range drop because overnight there is basically no range loss any longer.
The Ys and 3s seem to be better off. The X owners particularly have the largest drains.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
R1T - Vin 12xxx
Gear Guard: Off
Camping Mode: No
Vehicle Drive Mode: All Purpose
Ambient Temperature while Parked: 0-20 Degrees

Over the course of 8 days, I averaged a loss of 0.66 miles per hour, losing a total of 130 miles while sitting. Or approximately 5-6% a day.
What was the starting and ending battery percentage?