Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
https://marketrealist.com/p/who-makes-rivian-batteries/
This article eludes to LG Chem being the supplier for our R1's batteries. Does anyone else have clues on this? With so many recent articles relating to batteries, recalls, shortages, patent infringement... I am curious to find out all I can about a key part of my upcoming $75K purchase. Anyone have insight on this?
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
This is really all we think we know. Personally, I think it would be in their (and our) best interest to have multiple suppliers.

OP
OP
Trandall

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
This is really all we think we know. Personally, I think it would be in their (and our) best interest to have multiple suppliers.
Yikes! forget about apple car play, interior colors and front lightbar functionality THIS is scary. We could have R1's configured with batteries that are already subject to recall like Hyundai Kona etc...?!

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Yikes! forget about apple car play, interior colors and front lightbar functionality THIS is scary. We could have R1's configured with batteries that are already subject to recall like Hyundai Kona etc...?!
I have a Bolt, which has the same recall right now. The year/models affected were specific to a plant in Korea. I know that newer Bolts are not affected and have batteries made in the US at a new plant. FYI, Tesla had to reduce charge levels on some Model S cars recently via an OTA for similar reasons to the Bolt and Kona. This is not a unique issue just to LG Chem.

There was a recent published article that Hyundai has found root cause of the issue and will be releasing information soon. GM has already replaced batteries on some Bolts, based on data from OnStar and are disassembling the suspect batteries as part of the investigation.

ICE vehicles can go up in flames also, and that actually happens at a higher rate than electrics, so far. I personally watched an F-150 burn up right in front of me on a freeway about 20 years ago. Fortunately the driver stopped and got out with no injuries, but I could see the gas pouring out of the bottom of the truck just before it ignited. Later I found out they had a recall on those.
Sponsored