Sponsored

Battery Nerd Alert - R1T and Home Backup

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
Buy a charger, plug-in to truck outlets and connect to batteries in powerwall. Or is powerwall meant to be a specific proprietary product VS a generic term?
Tesla specific in combination with my solar with an integrated gateway.
Sponsored

OP
OP

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Here's the functionality that is missing from the solar inverter in the video:

"The MultiPlus-II will prevent overload of a limited AC source, such as a generator or shore power connection. First, battery charging will automatically be reduced when otherwise an overload would occur. The second level will boost the output of a generator or shore side supply with power taken from the battery."

https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multiplus-ii

GregEVs

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sheet metal
My current home energy setup I wouldn't need 240V. I had done a setup similar to your suggestion with a Goal Zero power station (with 120V) and I can power my fridge, air handler, modem, TV and some lights. Even since I sold my GZ with my van I can still use the truck just as long as I don't connect the ground between the truck and my transfer switch.

Output would be <500W by my estimate so I could power those limited circuits for a week or more with a 70% SOC.
What I would like to known will there be a time that those that camp like boom docking will they every be able to charge their trailer/camper batteries with a charging point that charges EV

OP
OP

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
What I would like to known will there be a time that those that camp like boom docking will they every be able to charge their trailer/camper batteries with a charging point that charges EV
You would need a very large trailer battery bank to benefit from DCFC fast charging. 15kWh of LFP house batteries could perhaps be charged at 7kw, which is level 2.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Ecoflow sells a J1772 adapter and I'm pretty sure I have seen other brands with an actual J1772 socket on them, I just can't think of what they were offhand. L2 EVSEs are very easy to make work with a normal battery charger.

Sponsored

OP
OP

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Ecoflow sells a J1772 adapter and I'm pretty sure I have seen other brands with an actual J1772 socket on them, I just can't think of what they were offhand. L2 EVSEs are very easy to make work with a normal battery charger.
J1772 has a handshake, so that piece would be needed too.

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
There are two companies in Colorado that have promised / protoryped exactly that. I believe one is called teardrop Colorado. Cannot recall the other at the moment.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

J1772 has a handshake, so that piece would be needed too.
It's just a matter of two resistors and a diode to get a station to enable power. I have a cable I made with a j1772 inlet that activates a C13 plug immediately after being plugged in. Obviously the device that plugs into it isn't made aware of how much power/current is available, but if it's any kind of a standard station, it's going to exceed what you'd usually want to take from a C13. I use it for charging my e-bike battery, which is limited to ~350W.
Sponsored