Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T / 2012 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Cameraman
Clubs

Hi all, has anyone else found that at night when you put into reverse the display for rear camera is way too bright? In a dark environment we turn the display brightness down (to minimum) so our eyes can adjust, only to be massively eye shocked when going into reverse. First time it happened I was so temporarily blinded that I could no longer see outside and I had to just stop and wait for my eyes to adjust before moving! I prefer to use mirrors so I try to block the bright display from my eyes so I could backup safely without the rear camera blinding my night vision. I believe this is a safety concern that causes drivers temporary loss of ambient vision which can lead to accidents. Rivian, please fix the backup camera Reverse brightness to match the Drive display brightness.
Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Have you set the brightness to auto? My driveway is pitch black and have not experienced any trouble.

OP
OP
Revtruk

Revtruk

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T / 2012 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Cameraman
Clubs

Have you set the brightness to auto? My driveway is pitch black and have not experienced any trouble.
Hi GB thanks for the suggestion. Yes generally Auto is fine for most conditions. However in very dark conditions I adjust to minimum display brightness and then going into reverse the rear camera display pops up way too bright.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I have noticed that my reverse camera is brighter while in reverse than while in drive. I know some of this may come from the reverse lights in low light conditions, but it is significant even in daylight conditions. It's like the exposure of the image or the brightness of the screen are increased for some reason.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
If it’s still too bright set to auto I would suggest turning on 1-2 interior lights before reversing in the dark. It won’t be as much of a shock to your eyes.

Sponsored

Byrd

First Name
JE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t quad, 2500 lbz, TL
try this: adjust the limits of the automatic display brightness. To do this, deselect auto, manually set the upper and lower limits of the brightness with the slider, then select auto. (this worked for me in v2022.43.2)

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Now that you mention it, yea it's pretty bright on the screen.
Sponsored