Sponsored

Automakers are starting to admit that drivers hate touchscreens. Buttons are back!

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
For discussion: https://slate.com/business/2023/04/cars-buttons-touchscreens-vw-porsche-nissan-hyundai.html

You don’t see a lot of good news about road safety in the United States. Unlike in most peer countries, American roadway deaths surged during the pandemic and have barely receded since. Pedestrian and cyclist fatalities recently hit their highest levels in 40 years, but U.S. transportation officials continue to ignore key contributing factors. In a February interview with Fast Company, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said that “further research” is needed before addressing the obvious risks that oversized SUVs and trucks pose to those not inside of them.

Happily, there is one area where we are making at least marginal progress: A growing number of automakers are backpedaling away from the huge, complex touchscreens that have infested dashboard design over the past 15 years. Buttons and knobs are coming back.

The touchscreen pullback is the result of consumer backlash, not the enactment of overdue regulations or an awakening of corporate responsibility. Many drivers want buttons, not screens, and they’ve given carmakers an earful about it. Auto executives have long brushed aside safety concerns about their complex displays—and all signs suggest they would have happily kept doing so. But their customers are revolting, which has forced them to pay attention.

For well over a decade, touchscreens have spread like a rash across dashboards. As with other dangerous trends in car design (see the steering yoke), this one can be traced back to Tesla, which has for years positioned its vehicles as “tablets on wheels.” As a result, touchscreens were seen as representing tech-infused modernity. But cost has been a factor, too. “These screens are presented as this avant garde, minimalist design,” said Matt Farah, a car reviewer and host of The Smoking Tire, an auto-focused YouTube channel and podcast. “But really, it’s the cheapest way possible of building an interior.” Although they look fancy, Farah said that carmakers can purchase screens for less than $50, making them significantly less expensive than tactile controls.

As I explained in a 2021 Slate article, the trend toward car touchscreens has been a dangerous one for road safety. Those who drove in the 1990s will remember using buttons and knobs to change the radio or adjust the air conditioning without looking down from the steering wheel. Despite their name, touchscreens rely on a driver’s eyes as much as her fingers to navigate—and every second that she is looking at a screen is a second that she isn’t looking at the road ahead. Navigating through various levels of menus to reach a desired control can be particularly dangerous; one study by the AAA Foundation concluded that infotainment touchscreens can distract a driver for up to 40 seconds, long enough to cover half a mile at 50 mph.

“The irony is that everyone basically accepts that it’s dangerous to use your phone while driving,” said Farah. “Yet no one complains about what we’re doing instead, which is fundamentally using an iPad while driving. If you’re paying between $40,000 and $300,000 for a car, you’re getting an iPad built onto the dashboard.”

Seeking to address these risks, NHTSA published voluntary guidance in 2013 recommending that a driver be able to complete any infotainment task with glances of under two seconds, totaling a maximum of 12 seconds. But NHTSA’s guidance had no enforcement mechanism, and carmakers have violated it with impunity.

In the last two years further evidence has suggested that touchscreens represent a step backward for auto design. Drexel researchers found that infotainment systems posed a statistically significant crash risk even in the early 2010s, before carmakers added many of today’s bells and whistles. A widely publicized Swedish study found that completing tasks with screens takes longer than with physical buttons.

Meanwhile, a revolt has been brewing. A recent J.D. Power consumer survey on vehicle dependability concluded that “infotainment remains a significant issue for new vehicles.” It wasn’t hard to understand why. In a 2022 New York Times opinion piece titled “Touch Screens in Cars Solve a Problem We Didn’t Have,” Jay Caspian Kang wrote, “I can think of no better way of describing the frustration of the modern consumer than buying a car with a feature that makes you less safe, doesn’t improve your driving experience in any meaningful way, saves the manufacturer money and gets sold to you as some necessary advance in connectivity.”

Other stories railing against car touchscreens ran in newspapers like the Los Angeles Timesand tech sites like Tom’s Guide, which declared, “I’m sorry, but touchscreens in cars are stupid.”

Carmakers have noticed—and they’ve begun to change their tune. Given the higher costs of using physical controls, it’s unsurprising that Porsche has been at the vanguard, returning buttons to the interior of the 2024 Cayenne. (Bugatti, meanwhile, never adopted touchscreens in the first place.) “One would hope that luxury trickles down,” said Farah. “As they reject the screens, it could over time be seen as luxurious to have buttons instead.”

Volkswagen, which owns Porsche, has acknowledged that customer feedback led it to drop its much-loathed steering wheel touch controls that were nearly impossible to use without looking down from the windshield, and executives have suggested adding more buttons to its future EVs.

Meanwhile, the few big automakers that skipped the touchscreen craze have not been shy about letting the world know—while offering a few digs at their competitors. “I think people are going to get tired of these big black screens,” Alfonso Albaisa, Nissan’s senior VP for global design, told Green Car Reports. Hyundai, too, has voiced its commitment to buttons and dials.

With automakers backing away from a trend that has contributed to the U.S.’s sky-high levels of crash deaths, you might expect the federal government to offer a tailwind, perhaps with new regulations or at least by publicly congratulating the carmakers that are adopting safer interior designs. But NHTSA has stayed mum. Asked about any new programs or approaches, the agency said in an email that “Distraction-affected crashes are a concern, particularly in vehicles equipped with an array of convenience technologies such as entertainment screens and other visual displays.”

While much of the recent infotainment news has been positive, that’s not true for all of it. Some automakers seem to be doubling down on their commitment to screens; the new Mercedes 2024 E-Class will come with up to three of them. Even more troubling was General Motors’ recent announcement that its future models would be incompatible with widely used Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, instead requiring owners to navigate a new infotainment interface. As a result, those accustomed to CarPlay or Android Auto will need to ascend a learning curve when they buy a new car, borrow a friend’s vehicle, or get a rental. Learning curves and car safety do not mix well.

Still, automakers like Nissan and Hyundai deserve praise for standing against a Tesla-fueled trend that has made driving more dangerous. And Volkswagen should get at least partial credit for belatedly seeing the light, even if it was a consumer backlash that forced them there.

The invisible hand has done road safety few favors; carmakers’ inability to profit from protecting those outside of the cars is a big reason they shrug off the danger they create for pedestrians and cyclists. But with touchscreens, at least, market forces seem to be helping to make U.S. roadways a bit less deadly.
Sponsored

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
I love the giant touch screen, but I desperately want hard buttons for key activities.

Aircraft cockpits have been doing this right for decades:

Rivian R1T R1S Automakers are starting to admit that drivers hate touchscreens. Buttons are back! 1682686205152

You can have the usability of a dedicated hard key but the flexibility of software refinement.

Activities expected to be used during most drives should have a hard key:
Climate temp
- Ideally heated / cooled seats & wheel, but that could also be fixed with simple SW logic
- MOVING THE DAMN AIR VENTS
- Defrost
Audio volume & mute
Audio Next/previous track
Nav/other toggle (Navigation should be 1 hard button press away at all times if you're going to integrate it)

Plus the basics that we have - Turn signals, wipers, lights, cruise, etc.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I think a lot of the concerns about taking your eyes off the road can be addressed by a good in-car virtual assistant. If I can say, “Alexa, set the driver’s temperature to 70 degrees.” or, “Alexa, turn off the second row seat heaters.” then I’m not spending any time with my eyes on a screen or my hands off the steering wheel.

Tmack7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,Subaru Ascent
This is one of my biggest concerns for this vehicle. Still confused why they won’t drop the vent thing. Seems like an expensive, unsafe, and failure point feature that’s not wanted or needed. Easy cost savings to cut a gimmick few want, in fact most dislike. My concern also comes down to if my wife will reject the vehicle after becoming frustrated by the points mentioned in the article. I am excited for the car so have a bigger bandwidth to learn and adapt. I was worried about this in f150 lightning but it didn’t end up being as bad as I thought. Got fairly use to it but still would buy some sort of aftermarket physical button attachment, maybe that plugs into obd?

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Personally, I genuinely like the touchscreen format and I think Rivian hit the right mix of touchscreen to physical (with the stalk functionality and steering wheel buttons) for me. With better voice assistant functionality a lot of complaints (though I don't have trouble navigating it) UX inefficiency would be resolved.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I think a lot of the concerns about taking your eyes off the road can be addressed by a good in-car virtual assistant. If I can say, “Alexa, set the driver’s temperature to 70 degrees.” or, “Alexa, turn off the second row seat heaters.” then I’m not spending any time with my eyes on a screen or my hands off the steering wheel.
That only works for people who want to use the voice assistant. I refuse to enable that in my car, I don't need to opt into a wire tap.

bgoldber88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T LE, 2021 BMW X3 PHEV
Occupation
Engineer
I love the giant touch screen, but I desperately want hard buttons for key activities.

Aircraft cockpits have been doing this right for decades:

1682686205152.png

You can have the usability of a dedicated hard key but the flexibility of software refinement.

Climate temp
- Ideally heated / cooled seats & wheel, but that could also be fixed with simple SW logic
- Defrost
Audio volume & mute
Audio Next/previous track
Nav/other toggle (Navigation should be 1 hard button press away at all times if you're going to integrate it)

Plus the basics that we have - Turn signals, wipers, lights, cruise, etc.
I used to build software for avionics and these buttons were so satisfying to use too. All the equipment in the cockpits are just such high quality. I mean, I guess I should hope so considering the price!

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
That only works for people who want to use the voice assistant. I refuse to enable that in my car, I don't need to opt into a wire tap.
Haha, yep. I use Google assistant at home, but I don't feel any desire to log into Amazon in my truck.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
I understand the reason for the touchscreens now and I'm not willing to give up all the extra functions that having a computer interface provides over hard buttons. I do agree that the air vents could be manual, but I also set those once and leave them where they are at so it's not a huge issue for me.

I get that touchscreens can be dangerous but that's up to the driver to use them when appropriate. Don't search for a song while in motion, make a playlist before heading out and just use that. There are things you can do as a driver to take responsibility and still drive safely using these interfaces.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
“Alexa, now put the baby back to sleep!”

Seriously, though, this is why I love cars with Google Assistant. It’s so incredibly good.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Climate temp
Why do you need to mess with the climate settings constantly? Ever since cars started coming with thermostats instead of uncalibrated 1 through 10 knobs I set up the climate control once and don't touch it again for the life of the vehicle.

I don't think many people adjust the temperature or vent locations in their house every few minutes. So why do you need to do that in the car?

I agree if you are adjusting the temperature 10 times an hour a dedicated button would be very useful. I just don't understand why you would want to do that. If 70° was comfortable at the beginning of the drive, why is it not comfortable a few minutes later?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I positioned my vents once (since that one update that fixed their weird behavior) and haven't changed them since...but I guess everyone has their hot spots....for me....that's taken care of by the ventilated seats. ;)

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
Why do you need to mess with the climate settings constantly? Ever since cars started coming with thermostats instead of uncalibrated 1 through 10 knobs I set up the climate control once and don't touch it again for the life of the vehicle.

I don't think many people adjust the temperature or vent locations in their house every few minutes. So why do you need to do that in the car?

I agree if you are adjusting the temperature 10 times an hour a dedicated button would be very useful. I just don't understand why you would want to do that. If 70° was comfortable at the beginning of the drive, why is it not comfortable a few minutes later?
Agreed but the heated and ventilated seats could have a dedicated button. That I do toggle on and off on an as needed basis. Especially in the Rivian where they work really well so my ass can get quite cold if I leave them on too long.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
You obviously haven't experienced Rivian's so called automatic climate control.

And Rivian quirks aside, here in Texas summer heat, we've always found ourselves wanting the vents blowing directly on us during the day (especially if we're on the sunny side of the car, even with ceramic tint) but not so much at night. We'll see how we fare in the Rivian when things start to heat up this summer. Perhaps it will be a bit less of an issue given that we will most likely be leaving the climate control on when parked (or pre-cooling if parked for longer periods).
Sponsored