Sponsored

At home 25kW DC charging

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Isn't Tesla wall charger 48A? That's the same as Rivian's onboard charger
They used to sell a higher power unit. The current ones max out at 48A, however.
Sponsored

Viperssd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Audi Q7, Tesla Model 3
They used to sell a higher power unit. The current ones max out at 48A, however.
Correct, Gen 3 I think dropped to 48, I still have the higher power gen 2 unit.

Edit : The Gen 2 Tesla HPWC can do up to 80A

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

You should set load sharing to 48A. A 60A breaker should be derated to 80% to insure you don’t risk an overload of the circuit.
Just checked, that is indeed what it is set to. My memory just rounded it. :-D

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Correct, Gen 3 I think dropped to 48, I still have the higher power gen 2 unit.

Edit : The Gen 2 Tesla HPWC can do up to 80A
It's the Gen 1 that can do 80A, the Gen 2 dropped to 48A. Tesla also hasn't sold a vehicle capable of 80A charging over AC in many years. I would assume the Cybertruck will bring back 80A.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It's the Gen 1 that can do 80A, the Gen 2 dropped to 48A. Tesla also hasn't sold a vehicle capable of 80A charging over AC in many years. I would assume the Cybertruck will bring back 80A.
Cybetruck will be DC only.

Sponsored

Viperssd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Audi Q7, Tesla Model 3
Here is the guide for the Gen1 HPWC (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...l-connector-installation-installation-a-b.pdf) - pg6 - Max 80A

Here is the guide for the Gen2 HPWC (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/wall_connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf) - pg7 - Max 80A

Gen3 is the current gen and when it dropped to 48A
(https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/wall-connector#installation)

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Cybetruck will be DC only.
No way, there is no way they'd eliminate AC charging at home over night, it's the best type for long life of the pack.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
No way, there is no way they'd eliminate AC charging at home over night, it's the best type for long life of the pack.
EV batteries are always charged by DC. The conversion from AC takes place in the vehicle when using an EVSE (L1 or L2), while when DC charging the equipment converts from AC before feeding it to the vehicle.
Where the conversion from AC to DC takes place has zero impact on battery longevity.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I was joking mostly. TBH, I'm surprised it took this long for someone to note how crazy that was to say. lol.

Tesla says crazy shit all the time, and there aren't any specs for the CT available anymore. So entirely plausible. Nobody knows. It's definitely coming out at $39k in 2022. For sure.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Probably at the same time I get my LE R1S. ?
All - 48A breaker pushing out 40 amps 200 volts can still be plugged in and will charge one of these monsters pretty much over night. Are you really ever going to need more than that?

I spent a bunch of time looking into this, and it seemed like the most logical solution.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I don’t disagree @DB-EV and my comment wasn’t in relation to that at all.

I had a dedicated line run for my EVSE and it partially is re-using a prior electrical run for a hot tub by the previous owner of my house. The wire is actually #6 wire so I could technically run at 48A with a breaker change from 50A to 60A but I will leave it because I think the 40A will be sufficient.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
All - 48A breaker pushing out 40 amps 200 volts can still be plugged in and will charge one of these monsters pretty much over night. Are you really ever going to need more than that?

I spent a bunch of time looking into this, and it seemed like the most logical solution.
No, no, no. Several EVSE are equipped with a NEMA 14-50P plug and are rated at 40A max charging rate. Such a unit MUST be plugged into a 14-50R receptacle wired to a 50 Amp. breaker using conductors rated for 50 Amps. Because of a weird exception in the NEC there are 14-50R receptacles wired to 40 Amp breakers. EVSE plugged into such an outlet must not charge at more than 32A and in order to be safe several manufacturers (Tesla and Rivian for example) limit the current their 14-50P equipped EVSE can deliver to 32 A.

If you have a 14-50R receptacle in your house you must insure that the breaker and wiring are rated at 50A before plugging in a 40A EVSE. If your 14-50R is on a 40A circuit you must not install EVSE capable of charging at 40A.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I had a dedicated line run for my EVSE and it partially is re-using a prior electrical run for a hot tub by the previous owner of my house. The wire is actually #6 wire so I could technically run at 48A with a breaker change from 50A to 60A but I will leave it because I think the 40A will be sufficient.
There is a bit more to it than that. The wire must be THN, THWN, SE... (i.e. rated 75 °C) and not NM-B or UF-B (60 °C) in order to use a 60A breaker with it and charge at 48A. The fact that your house has a 50 A breaker protecting this wire suggests it is not rated 75 °C. Unless you can verify that the wire is rated 75 °C you will have to stick with the 50A breaker and charge at 40A max.
Sponsored