Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

@Dark-Fx having now owned both vehicles, what made you chose (for now at least) to keep the Rivian over the Hummer?
Go pedal is more fun in the Rivian, especially when not going straight. Might have considered putting street tires on the hummer, but it would still weigh 2000 lbs more... Most of the offroading we might do is going to be pretty light. Which is why I opted for the 22s on the R1T
Sponsored

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
Why would he need to pay tax? If he's not a car dealer and it's not a business, why would the increase in value trigger a tax? Does this mean if I bought a dresser on Facebook to use in my house for $100, then found out it was an antique worth $2000, and promptly sold it for that, I would have to report the earnings?

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Congratulations! That's pretty sweet. Also glad to know someone that had both trucks preferred the Rivian.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Why would he need to pay tax? If he's not a car dealer and it's not a business, why would the increase in value trigger a tax? Does this mean if I bought a dresser on Facebook to use in my house for $100, then found out it was an antique worth $2000, and promptly sold it for that, I would have to report the earnings?
Yes, you would. It's considered a capital gain on property. If it's short term, it's at your ordinary income rate. Whether or not you report that transaction to the IRS is another story. Something like a vehicle sale has a lot of bread crumbs, especially this one.

It's just historically not something most people have had to think about. Vehicles used to depreciate as soon as you drove them off the lot. Right now that's not true, and especially of vehicles that are highly desired and impossible to get.

Last edited:

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Go pedal is more fun in the Rivian, especially when not going straight. Might have considered putting street tires on the hummer, but it would still weigh 2000 lbs more... Most of the offroading we might do is going to be pretty light. Which is why I opted for the 22s on the R1T
Another quick question, between the two tonneau covers which had a better execution? Any issues for you so far with either of them?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Another quick question, between the two tonneau covers which had a better execution? Any issues for you so far with either of them?
I've had fewer problems with the one on the Rivian, but the Hummer one runs nicer when it is working. Upside for the Rivian is it retracts almost entirely out of the bed space. The Hummer has a roll that takes up quite a bit of room.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

To be fair, if not for the gear tunnel and tonneau cover storage, R1T would have space for a 5.5’ bed.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
That is correct, you are obligated to pay as that is income.

Does that mean people do, of course not, but they are supposed to.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
To be fair, if not for the gear tunnel and tonneau cover storage, R1T would have space for a 5.5’ bed.
I think you are overestimating the amount of room they take from the bed. Someone could measure it for you, but I doubt you would gain as much as 6 inches.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

And the journey is over. Adios you big fat 🐷 of an EV 😁

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Had some fun with it, made some money for your troubles. Nicely done sir!
Sponsored