Sponsored

Gigawatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fast ones
Is front-end PPF essential if you want to keep your finish looking good? It seems like the flat nose would collect a lot of chips, bugs and road grime. Would be great to hear some owner's thoughts on this.
Sponsored

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Search brought me nothing, so here goes - how is the reflectivity of the dash on the windshield. I'm going for black mountain, but I see lots of "shiny bits".

In my current JGC, I have mostly black interior but the designers, in all of their lack of wisdom, left some "brownish chrome" bits that have horrible glare on the windshield and side windows in bright sun. Wondering if Rivian has the same issue.
I have not noticed anything that glares, except my wife's cell phone while I am driving.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Is front-end PPF essential if you want to keep your finish looking good? It seems like the flat nose would collect a lot of chips, bugs and road grime. Would be great to hear some owner's thoughts on this.
It is probably a wise idea. I already have a small chip after a month of driving.

Ginny

First Name
Ginny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 escalade ext, 2019 corvette
Occupation
retired
Off topic but wanted to know if anyone has used valet at a hotel and if so, experience.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Cooling it with what is my point, 112 degree air?
The fan moves air over a heat exchanger. So yes, ambient air

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I highly suggest it. I drove about 500 miles before professional PPF and got a couple marks. Then I bumped a tree doing dumb off-road stuff and my PPF took most of the damage, just a little bump in the front now. I just finished replacing the front and headlight PPF myself after my guy wouldn't touch it unless I got the bumper replaced 🙄

Gigawatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fast ones
I highly suggest it. I drove about 500 miles before professional PPF and got a couple marks. Then I bumped a tree doing dumb off-road stuff and my PPF took most of the damage, just a little bump in the front now. I just finished replacing the front and headlight PPF myself after my guy wouldn't touch it unless I got the bumper replaced 🙄
Thanks for the input. I suppose I'll do what intuitively seems like the right thing for me to do and take it straight in for PPF. I just hate the idea of waiting this long for the truck only to hand it over to someone else for 3 days for paint protection.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
Search brought me nothing, so here goes - how is the reflectivity of the dash on the windshield. I'm going for black mountain, but I see lots of "shiny bits".

In my current JGC, I have mostly black interior but the designers, in all of their lack of wisdom, left some "brownish chrome" bits that have horrible glare on the windshield and side windows in bright sun. Wondering if Rivian has the same issue.
I have forest edge and no glare in it.

Kdblondie

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Office Manager
Clubs

this may have been asked and I missed it but is there a light that comes on in the side mirror when a vehicle is in your blind spot? Or is it like Tesla where when you put your blinker on the it shows the lane next to you on the screen?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

this may have been asked and I missed it but is there a light that comes on in the side mirror when a vehicle is in your blind spot? Or is it like Tesla where when you put your blinker on the it shows the lane next to you on the screen?
Bolth

Sponsored

Kdblondie

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Office Manager
Clubs

Is the Rivian home charger plug a 14-5O? I currently have a 14-50 outlet that I use to charge my Tesla and wanted to know if I can use my existing outlet to charge the Rivian.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
What the heck are they hoping to accomplish running the fans in such heat?
They are cooling the battery. At 112 degrees the battery will get to hot and will degrade unless it is cooled.
Cooling it with what is my point, 112 degree air?
The fan moves air over a heat exchanger. So yes, ambient air
Note that what is probably on the other side of the heat exchanger is R1234yf at arounf 200 psig meaning it is at about 125 °F. Air at 112 will clearly cool this to the point where it condenses (if the radiator is big enough) and if the compressor only dores 5x compression you'll have liquid at about 30° F out of the metering device to cool the battery and cabin. Now you are probably only going to get 30 - 40 BTU/lb out of this so you would need to move 100 lb/hr through the system to get 1/3 ton cooling.

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Thanks for the input. I suppose I'll do what intuitively seems like the right thing for me to do and take it straight in for PPF. I just hate the idea of waiting this long for the truck only to hand it over to someone else for 3 days for paint protection.
I have a 7-10 day wait for my full ppf. The wait is hard but at least I got to drive it for a week! Here's a picture I was given for Day 1.

Rivian R1T R1S Ask us Rivian R1T owners ANYTHING [AMA]! 99AA5A2F-6FA9-458E-A095-FFA3CBD2F774

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yes, light in mirror and light on driver display.
Sponsored