First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
IMO it should always be in front of the driver - as easy to see as the gas gauge on his ICE vehicle.

The problem with the miles display is that it is deceptive. It does not indicate the miles the driver can go beyond this point unless the consumption in the driving he is about to do is the same as the consumption used to calculate the miles. The nominal rated consumption of the RIT is 135000/314 = 430 Wh/mi. An estimated range of 207 mi with 69% charge indicates consumption of 0.69*135000/207 = 450 Wh/mi. And there is a note indicating that the estimate is based on "Conserve Mode". WTF? But all that is mooted by the fact that the driver, in his next leg, will experience neither 430 nor 450 Wh/mi but rather whatever his actual driving conditions dictate.

69% battery is, OTOH, always 69% battery and the driver can easily use it to estimtate his remaining range if he has any idea as to what's in front of him. Quickie calculation takes 69% of the EPA range: 210 mi by rounding range to 300 and % to 70. Now note that that's very close to what the display shows and I think that probably the mind set that leads drivers to rely on miles displays. Problem is that if the driver intends to drive at 70 - 80 or there is snow or rain on the road it does not reflect that range is going to be, perhaps, only 160 miles because under those conditions consumption goes up (and range down) by easily 20%.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

The nominal rated consumption of the RIT is 135000/314 = 430 Wh/mi. An estimated range of 207 mi with 69% charge indicates consumption of 0.69*135000/207 = 450 Wh/mi.

69% battery is, OTOH, always 69% battery and the driver can easily use it to estimtate his remaining range

Quickie calculation takes 69% of the EPA range: 210 mi by rounding range to 300 and % to 70
Pretty sure the $75k truck includes Doing math 🙃

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Pretty sure the $75k truck includes Doing math 🙃
Not quite sure what that means but you don't have to do any math if you don't want to. Most of us are pretty well trained to keep an eye on our fuel gauge and take action if it is falling faster than it should be. It's the same in BEV - if the fuel gauge is right out there where we can see it.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Not quite sure what that means but you don't have to do any math if you don't want to. Most of us are pretty well trained to keep an eye on our fuel gauge and take action if it is falling faster than it should be. It's the same in BEV - if the fuel gauge is right out there where we can see it.
I'm confused what you're complaining about. "Why would we ever want range on the display?! We need to see the battery percentage so we can do that math ourselves and figure out remaining range! "

The truck takes your average consumption and gives you estimated distance remaining. When you Cannonball Run, your estimated range drops. When you drive Miss Daisy, it goes up. ICE vehicles do this too, even my wife's 2012 Civic does this.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Does your ICE vehicle not put it's fuel gauge in a prominent place?

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Does your ICE vehicle not put it's fuel gauge in a prominent place?
There is a gauge on the main cluster - it reports in estimated miles remaining. I'm not by my truck at the moment. Lower right corner. Looks like a pill that has decreasing amount of juice - like you'd see on your phone. It's green until about 20% remaining I believe when it goes to yellow. So you can somewhat judge based on position of the green bar within the pill what the remaining % may be and how quickly it is moving. You get a warning around the 20% mark when it goes into yellow also. You can see estimated range dropping as well.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
There is a gauge on the main cluster - it reports in estimated miles remaining. I'm not by my truck at the moment. Lower right corner. Looks like a pill that has decreasing amount of juice - like you'd see on your phone.
Interesting that your ICE truck uses range remaining but note that phones show battery%.

As to my complaint: it's that battery percent isn't available as the primary display option. Many of us who have had this as an option in other cars have come to vastly prefer it for whatever reason. Just call us eccentric if you like. We will sorely miss it in the Rivians.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Interesting that your ICE truck uses range remaining but note that phones show battery%.

As to my complaint: it's that battery percent isn't available as the primary display option. Many of us who have had this as an option in other cars have come to vastly prefer it for whatever reason. Just call us eccentric if you like. We will sorely miss it in the Rivians.
Rivian R1T R1S Ask us Rivian R1T owners ANYTHING [AMA]! PXL_20220415_132640560

Very prominent. Estimated mileage, which actually adapts as you drive or change modes, and battery gauge.

Does your ICE fuel gauge say 4.25 gallons? No. It's a rough line.

Sorry, bro, your complaints are unwarranted.

Sponsored

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
A question on the display....does the display notify you when regen is reduced due to a cold battery? On my Tesla, whenever regent is limited due to a cold battery, a get dashed yellow lines. This lets me know the car won't be stopping as quickly as when regen is not limited.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Very prominent. Estimated mileage, which actually adapts as you drive or change modes, and battery gauge.

Nope, and that's good enough for most purposes.
Thing is it would be so easy for them to put the SoC at the right side of the display and make everyone happy.

That is, after they change the ridiculous miles/kWh display to the much more meaningful wH/mi (which, at the very least, does not have to be truncated when going very slowly as is shown in the screen in the post).

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
A question on the display....does the display notify you when regen is reduced due to a cold battery? On my Tesla, whenever regent is limited due to a cold battery, a get dashed yellow lines. This lets me know the car won't be stopping as quickly as when regen is not limited.
It will inform you if regen is reduced, yes. I haven't seen this specifically for a cold battery, but I have seen the message.

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

PXL_20220415_132640560.jpg

That's the picture I was trying to get and describe.
Alas, I think we have a situation where you can't please everyone.
@ajdelange - this is what Rivian currently has available. It's software, so it can be updated. Just like my iPhone used to have %, now it's not a default. Did that change the function or my ability to determine it's battery level? No. Maybe Rivian adds the ability to flip the estimated range remaining to a % with a future update. Maybe not. You have to judge for yourself if what they have provided fits your needs - if the current version does not, there is no guarantee that you will have what you need and you may need to look at alternatives. Many different members have shown you multiple ways that you can see and find some of that information.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)

Nope, and that's good enough for most purposes.
Thing is it would be so easy for them to put the SoC at the right side of the display and make everyone happy.

That is, after they change the ridiculous miles/kWh display to the much more meaningful wH/mi (which, at the very least, does not have to be truncated when going very slowly as is shown in the screen in the post).
Man, I feel bad because I started this by just asking if you could display state of charge (I couldn't find it in the menus and just wanted to see if I was missing it).

My preference for the % of battery is rooted in my Tesla experience, for which the estimated mileage remaining wasn't as accurate as you'd hope. Hence I my preference became to see the state of charge instead as that told me exactly how much battery was left.

Best guess is that this toggle will come through as a software update at some point and then people will have the option to display their preference.
Sponsored