First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Model 3, R1T VIN 34XX LE Glacier White
Occupation
Engineer
I just signed the PBA on my R1T order this week and will be giving up my Model 3 to make it happen. Please don't flame me, but I'm curious if anyone has made the change to an R1T and had any regrets? I ask because my Model 3 does so many things well and I have some concerns that I might really miss some of them (excellent voice nav, voice commands in general, autopilot). My hope is the R1T can provide those things AND everything else I'm looking for from it, like a larger/taller vehicle with a more upright seating position, more space, more refined (and quiet) ride, craftsmanship, utility of truck, etc. I know I risk being immediately downvoted by even raising this question, but it's an honest concern/question that I'd really like to hear from current R1T owners about. Any insights, regrets or feedback you'd be willing to share would be appreciated.
While we didn't give up our M3, the R1T has replaced it as the vehicle to drive. The build quality for the first production build is pretty high. There are some gap and fit issues, but only if one is really interested in looking for them. We have only had a few minor issues: the passenger sun visor fell out due to an expansion clamp not being installed correctly and wind noise around the driver and passenger door seals, and one minor paint defect (service call scheduled).
For Driver +, I have found it to be better than basic Autopilot for lane keeping/adaptive cruise control. I've used it for over 1k miles and it is just better tuned. We have found the map data to be a little suspect. Addresses are wrong. Road features are incorrect (tunnel when there is none). So, as always, be aware of what the system is saying and check it. Don't end up in a lake!
I am holding out hope for CarPlay. The M3 doesn't have it, so fail for both.
Sponsored

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I just signed the PBA on my R1T order this week and will be giving up my Model 3 to make it happen. Please don't flame me, but I'm curious if anyone has made the change to an R1T and had any regrets? I ask because my Model 3 does so many things well and I have some concerns that I might really miss some of them (excellent voice nav, voice commands in general, autopilot). My hope is the R1T can provide those things AND everything else I'm looking for from it, like a larger/taller vehicle with a more upright seating position, more space, more refined (and quiet) ride, craftsmanship, utility of truck, etc. I know I risk being immediately downvoted by even raising this question, but it's an honest concern/question that I'd really like to hear from current R1T owners about. Any insights, regrets or feedback you'd be willing to share would be appreciated.
I'll answer this from the perspective of an automotive enthusiast.

The Model 3 and Rivian obviously are completely different types of vehicles, but both can function as your all-around daily driver. Plus the Rivian is more utilitarian, after all, it is a pickup truck. Because of that, the Rivian can replace your Model 3 (if you were your average car owner).

However the Model 3 is a smaller and more nimble vehicle. It will feel more planted on the road and handle better, even if it isn't a Performance model. It will be more fun to drive in 99% of cases, which is on the road, and around town. You can toss aggressive summer tires on it and out-perform most sports cars. Lots of options.

I personally would keep the Model 3 and use it when I need it, or want to drive something more sporty. I don't know if yours is a long range, but the charging network and range of it will beat the Rivian for quite a while. Support and dare I say, reliability, will be better too. Nothing bad on Rivian, but most people here are early adopters and will have to deal with the pains of that.

As an enthusiast, it is nice to have a vehicle for multiple situations:
- Sports car for weekend canyon carving
- EV for daily driving
- SUV/pickup for utilitarian/off-road activities
- I'll never say minivan :p, but a high horsepower sport wagon/SUV with 600+hp to haul the family around
- Motorcycle (and multiple types too!)

Same with tires. Lots of people talking about off-road tires. Why not both? Summer sport tires for every day and off-road tires/wheels when you need them. Swap them out. I'm one of the nutty guys who live in Southern California who owns dedicated winter tires for when I want to drive up to the mountains to ski/snowboard. A non-enthusiast would have all seasons or toss on chains.

So in conclusion, keep the Telsa if you can. It is a great vehicle. If you can't, that's okay too. Only you can really decide.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

As an enthusiast, it is nice to have a vehicle for multiple situations:
- Sports car for weekend canyon carving
- EV for daily driving
- SUV/pickup for utilitarian/off-road activities
- I'll never say minivan :p, but a high horsepower sport wagon/SUV with 600+hp to haul the family around
- Motorcycle (and multiple types too!)
Current fleet includes an off-road built/lifted 4Runner, Corvette, EV MINI, and a moto. In my case, it's going to be a hard sell to keep my MINI even though it's almost more fun on the street than the Corvette. So for me, I'm consolidating the MINI and 4Runner into the Rivian to merge EV daily and off-roader/people-hauler into one vehicle. It makes sense to me anyway, but I will miss the MINI a lot.

wsgrunner

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
You are asking a valid question. I am giving up my Model Y for the R1T and had some of the same concerns. For me the higher stance and utility of a truck (we have 3 Australian Shepherds) will be a big plus. Not to mention the R1T is just cool all the way around. It will take some time, but hopefully Rivian will have a decent DC charging network, but I don’t see it being close to the scale of Tesla Superchargers for a while.

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Sorry. Probably not the exact thread but wanted to post a few progress pics on my R1T. Just got clear bra on front. Now they need to finish the paint correction, put on ceramic coat, and tint. Exciting.

Rivian R1T R1S Ask us Rivian R1T owners ANYTHING [AMA]! 4BC698E4-4798-420E-84D3-972C90058294

Rivian R1T R1S Ask us Rivian R1T owners ANYTHING [AMA]! 080101A3-E4EF-4669-8E7C-488974B2EEDB

Sponsored

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

Sorry. Probably not the exact thread but wanted to post a few progress pics on my R1T. Just got clear bra on front. Now they need to finish the paint correction, put on ceramic coat, and tint. Exciting.

4BC698E4-4798-420E-84D3-972C90058294.jpeg

080101A3-E4EF-4669-8E7C-488974B2EEDB.jpeg
If I may ask, who are you using for this service? Also, how much are they charging for clear bra on just the front? I am considering doing this as well. Thanks!

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

If I may ask, who are you using for this service? Also, how much are they charging for clear bra on just the front? I am considering doing this as well. Thanks!
Zac

The place is called Polished Protection. Let me check the quote as I only have the total for everything. Full front ppf, tint, paint correction, and ceramic coat everything. That was 5168 out the door. They said they would give the discount to anyone who mentioned me when they bring it in (Adam Birozy

HackyMoto

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 (Gray), Toyota Highlander (Gray)
Occupation
Engineer
Our plan is to use the truck to adventure around Central America.

1. Does the current onboard map cover central America
2. Currently, are you able to create a route from your current location to say, Tapachula, mx using charge points?

Although our plans are 5-6 years out from now, and the hope is that by then these countries would have increased the number of charge point locations. But if not then just plug her into a wall for 12-24 hours and chillax, we're not in a rush.

I'm interested to learn what your Rivian tells you when you try to plot these routes. Tesla software gets me just south of Mexico City and then having to use outlets to go any further. No big deal

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Our plan is to use the truck to adventure around Central America.

1. Does the current onboard map cover central America
2. Currently, are you able to create a route from your current location to say, Tapachula, mx using charge points?

Although our plans are 5-6 years out from now, and the hope is that by then these countries would have increased the number of charge point locations. But if not then just plug her into a wall for 12-24 hours and chillax, we're not in a rush.

I'm interested to learn what your Rivian tells you when you try to plot these routes. Tesla software gets me just south of Mexico City and then having to use outlets to go any further. No big deal
I wouldn’t rely on built in nav that is heavily dependent on cellular data for those sorts of trips. Buy a Garmin or similar.

HackyMoto

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 (Gray), Toyota Highlander (Gray)
Occupation
Engineer
I wouldn’t rely on built in nav that is heavily dependent on cellular data for those sorts of trips. Buy a Garmin or similar.
yeah, I thought as much. I have my eye on on of those Tread XL's

Thanks for the reply

Sponsored

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
They have not fully baked their subscription program yet. For the time being, everything is just on and included, and they've said it'll all be free for at least a year. I think once they spin up some of the other elements of the offering (e.g., the charging network sites), they may actually announce the program's structure & pricing, and start the clock on a specific trial period.

The obvious subscription elements will be the vehicle wifi hot spot and the RAN access. They suggested some other things that may wind up being part of it, but I honestly don't think even they have a clue just yet.
I ran into a Rivian employee (over 7 years he said) at an EA station this week. He said he is involved with the subscription program and other things. I suspect he is rather high up as he got his R1T (VIN 009) last October. Anyway, he said they will be releasing a lot of information about this in the next few weeks - AKA: s00n!

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I haven't taken the Rivian on an extended trip yet, but anticipate the Large pack being fine. Max pack will just increase the flexibility on the trip.

Still waiting on my Livewire One to get delivered, but this is hopefully going to be my solution. Not sure if I'll ever try to put it in the bed.

1651263828828.png
I'll be very interested to see how this affects your range. I rented a Uhaul motorcycle trailer this week to do a quick trip and my efficiency at 70 mph was 1.55 mi/kW. I used to carry my 700+ lb Triumph in the bed of my Canyon, but it's so much easier to load/unload a heavy bike using a trailer. For just a couple of days at $15/day the UHaul trailer option is much easier for me.

What is the weight capacity of the Black Widow? Have you carried anything on it yet?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'll be very interested to see how this affects your range. I rented a Uhaul motorcycle trailer this week to do a quick trip and my efficiency at 70 mph was 1.55 mi/kW. I used to carry my 700+ lb Triumph in the bed of my Canyon, but it's so much easier to load/unload a heavy bike using a trailer. For just a couple of days at $15/day the UHaul trailer option is much easier for me.

What is the weight capacity of the Black Widow? Have you carried anything on it yet?
600 lbs. Still waiting on the bike. Weight for the bike is 562 lbs, so it'll be interesting.

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
Is there a gag order on pricing?

Just curious if the black wheels are $3500 for LE or if they adjusted it.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Is there a gag order on pricing?

Just curious if the black wheels are $3500 for LE or if they adjusted it.
Dark 20"s and 22"s were always $3,500 more even for Launch Editions.

I was forever on the "why don't they just charge us the difference" train until pricegate :D
Sponsored