godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Have you tried using the 4gLTE as a hot spot? how well does that work?

If its decent, that is a huge game changer for road trips and working on the road for me
Rivian R1T R1S Ask us Rivian R1T owners ANYTHING [AMA]! Screenshot_20220311-161040_WiFiman
Sponsored

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What about a warning if I try to lock the R1 without removing the keys? I don't want to lock my keys in the car...
You have to have a key to lock it, but you can lock other keys in there, no warning.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Just want to say thanks to these guys for graciously doing this.

Hope you all have a chance to enjoy those rides this weekend!

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Are any of you planning on adding things like auxiliary lights or mobile radios? If so, how easy is access to the 12v battery?
I haven't been adventurous enough to go digging for the batteries or fuse panel. They are behind various plastic cladding. Doesn't seem like it would be super easy, and I'll probably wait for someone else to do a full tear down. There is a 12V receptacle under the main screen up front, so you can easily get access for something like a radio.

Have you tried using the 4gLTE as a hot spot? how well does that work?

If its decent, that is a huge game changer for road trips and working on the road for me
I wasn't sure it's enabled because it isn't working for us. But I haven't ruled out our driveway being a bit of a dead spot (and as I wrote this, I noticed @godfodder0901 reporting it's working for him). Hmm... more testing needed.

This is one you guys might not be able to test, but can you change the SIM card the system uses? Can you put a Tmobile one in?
Sorry, no idea. That's probably one to press support (or even the service staff) on.

It is not a camera, and the view is a little limited if I'm honest...

16470431550558640891562513000985.jpg
There is a rear camera view mode for the screen though.

Rivian R1T R1S Ask us Rivian R1T owners ANYTHING [AMA]! IMG_8443

Are you on Rivian insurance? I am curious to know if they do something similar to Tesla and base it off a driving score.
Didn't bother discussing it with them, so I'm unsure.

What about a warning if I try to lock the R1 without removing the keys? I don't want to lock my keys in the car...
You have to have a key to lock it, but you can lock other keys in there, no warning.
We have so far left the key fob at home. Our phones work ok as keys (we have the card keys in our wallets just in case). Vehicle locks automatically if it detects the key (phone) has gone far enough away. I have not been manually locking it. There is a chirp that confirms lock and a different sound effect that seems to convey "I won't lock because something is still open."

It is a little annoying that it seems like I have to turn my phone screen on to get it to first unlock the vehicle (don't have to unlock the phone, can just tap the wake button while it's still in my pocket).

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
not bad at all! that is plenty for most work I would end up doing. Thanks!!
I have an idea that will be part of the subscription. In the manual it says you can enable this on your account but need to contact customer service to disable it.

I just use my phone as a hotspot so probably would never turn this on.

drivetorun

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Can you keep the rear view camera on the center screen 100% of the time while driving?

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

How about pairing multiple Bluetooth devices? Like a phone and a radio? Or 2 phones.

Essential thinking about the SiriusXM radio paired while pairing a phone. Using the xm media while phone for txt and calling.

Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
How is the camera quality?

Can you select EA on the nav map filter for charging stations brands?

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I have an idea that will be part of the subscription. In the manual it says you can enable this on your account but need to contact customer service to disable it.

I just use my phone as a hotspot so probably would never turn this on.
The perk with a vehicle hot spot is they can send more power to the antenna since it's not a handheld device. We have a cell booster on top of our sprinter and it works wonders for getting reception where your phone just can't otherwise.

So if your goal is to do some work from the middle of nowhere, it can be a game changer. If you drive into the middle of nowhere for the express purpose of disconnecting, this may not sound like a perk at all ?

Can you keep the rear view camera on the center screen 100% of the time while driving?
Yes. You can't watch recorded Gear Guard videos, but the vehicle cameras can be on while driving.

Is it everything you hoped it would be? Worth the cost?
Yes x2

OP
OP
godfodder0901

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
How about pairing multiple Bluetooth devices? Like a phone and a radio? Or 2 phones.

Essential thinking about the SiriusXM radio paired while pairing a phone. Using the xm media while phone for txt and calling.
Only 2 phones as keys, but as music sources, I don't think there's a limit. Or at least, not an arbitrarily small one. I can try to play with it and see for sure.

How is the camera quality?

Can you select EA on the nav map filter for charging stations brands?
Camera quality is ok. Could be better -- I think part of the problem is the screen is so good, you can tell the camera isn't. We're also not on the latest software yet, so take my assessment with a grain of salt.

pcrampton

First Name
Perrine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90
Occupation
Manager