Sponsored

andisimose

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas
I saw on an out of spec video that the third row vents only were working when the seat belts were connected? Iā€™ll be having the third row down with the dogs in there and need the vents but not the seat belts :)

Can anyone confirm this?

0=====0

First Name
Rajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
O|||||||O and R1S LE 0====0
Occupation
Engineering
Seeing everyone up in arms regarding the LTE subscription and how if you do not pay the LTE $$$ the maps and audio streaming system will not work?

Does the R1T/R1S not connect to your phone's wifi?
I know it has its own hotspot, but I think you can connect it to home Wifi for firmware updates right?
how else will they push updates without the LTE connection?

I think the maps and streaming should work just fine if you connect it to your phone Wifi,

Is this already confirmed/answered?
if not, can someone please check?

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

Seeing everyone up in arms regarding the LTE subscription and how if you do not pay the LTE $$$ the maps and audio streaming system will not work?

Does the R1T/R1S not connect to your phone's wifi?
I know it has its own hotspot, but I think you can connect it to home Wifi for firmware updates right?
how else will they push updates without the LTE connection?

I think the maps and streaming should work just fine if you connect it to your phone Wifi,

Is this already confirmed/answered?
if not, can someone please check?
I can tether to the phone no problem. Iā€™m not sure how to shut off LTE to check the functionality though. Sorry

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I can tether to the phone no problem. Iā€™m not sure how to shut off LTE to check the functionality though. Sorry
Can you drive around tethered to it. Tesla used to drop the connection unless in park until recently.

Sponsored

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

Can you drive around tethered to it. Tesla used to drop the connection unless in park until recently.
I only tried the tethering one day in the driveway. I will give it a shot while driving tomorrow and let you know. Itā€™s a great question. My phone is 5G so it would actually be better in theory.

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
Any comments on the ride quality improvements on the R1S with the latest SW updates?

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

I only tried the tethering one day in the driveway. I will give it a shot while driving tomorrow and let you know. Itā€™s a great question. My phone is 5G so it would actually be better in theory.
Okay...so this doesn't work unfortunately. You can tether the car to your phone but as soon as you put it in drive WiFi disconnects. As soon as you put it back in park it reconnects.
This is a real bummer as I can see what is coming a mile away(forced LTE contract for data features used while driving). There is absolutely no reason in the world why they could not have the system favor a known WiFi network over LTE. Every cell phone is the world does it and the other cars that I have do it. This needs to be fixed in an OTA.
PS this is almost as dumb as the concept of an in car WiFi HotSpot, using LTE, I already have a more capable phone I can set up as a hotspot in my pocket that can do the same thing,, twice as good,.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Okay...so this doesn't work unfortunately. You can tether the car to your phone but as soon as you put it in drive WiFi disconnects. As soon as you put it back in park it reconnects.
This is a real bummer as I can see what is coming a mile away(forced LTE contract for data features used while driving). There is absolutely no reason in the world why they could not have the system favor a known WiFi network over LTE. Every cell phone is the world does it and the other cars that I have do it. This needs to be fixed in an OTA.
PS this is almost as dumb as the concept of an in car WiFi HotSpot, using LTE, I already have a more capable phone I can set up as a hotspot in my pocket that can do the same thing,, twice as good,.
Thanks for confirming. This is how Tesla used to work as well but the changed that in an OTA a year or so ago. It will be interesting to see if Rivian opens that up.

I think Tesla opened it up because they had some older cars that were on 3g wireless and those are going away.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
But the phone in your pocket doesn't have the advantage of an external antenna which might make a difference for some (it's external and typically has better sensitivity than an in-phone antenna). I currently stream Spotify through Android Auto in my Volvo using my phone's data connection and there are far too many times when the signal suffers. I'm actually hoping for some improvement as a result of using the vehicle's antenna.

Regardless, it's still massively annoying to have to pay for multiple/redundant data plans because certain devices won't support sharing.

Sponsored

Jblaze121

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1S 20" A/T
Clubs

I saw on an out of spec video that the third row vents only were working when the seat belts were connected? Iā€™ll be having the third row down with the dogs in there and need the vents but not the seat belts :)

Can anyone confirm this?
Correct.
Havenā€™t tried in a while but yeah 3rd row has to be up and back floor vents turned on for 3rd row vents to work. I put down the rear windows for now and he gets crazy breeze, but youā€™ll get a little slobber on the 2nd row seats from time to time. Wish they add a button to keep the vents on for this purpose.

0=====0

First Name
Rajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
O|||||||O and R1S LE 0====0
Occupation
Engineering
Now imagine paying 10 dollars every month for LTE in 2025! For a cellular modem built in 2019? Your smartphone will provide so much more bandwidth!
Would you buy an iPhone 9 in 2023?

Why would anyone pay 10 dollars to use the touchscreen?
If its bundled in with charging perks, road side assistance etc, then maybe I could justify. Just standalone for lte so I can use maps from map quest?

No thank you.
Can see the subscription model failing before it even starts!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Correct.
Havenā€™t tried in a while but yeah 3rd row has to be up and back floor vents turned on for 3rd row vents to work. I put down the rear windows for now and he gets crazy breeze, but youā€™ll get a little slobber on the 2nd row seats from time to time. Wish they add a button to keep the vents on for this purpose.
This has the potential to be a real deal-breaker for me if Rivian doesn't address.

Is it physically possible to fasten the seat belts with the 3rd row folded to ensure the 3rd row vents work? Wonder if connecting a seat belt extender would be enough to ensure the vents work?

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

There are F/R climate settings but R doesn't distinguish between 2nd and 3rd row. I think it's unlikely that it uses seatbelt connection but I'm personally curious so now I'm going to test.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Ok... so here's the verdict. There appears to be a weight sensor in the 3rd row that activates the vents. Weight on either side (it's a 50/50 split 2 seater) activates both the L/R vents regardless of seat belt status. ONLY when the A/C is on. If heat is on, 3rd row vents aren't active at all. There are no climate settings for 3rd row but seems like they could be added via OTA. What other questions?
Sponsored