First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
If you had the chance to drive / ride in the R1T, and compare to your R1S…which vehicle is quieter at slow speed, regular speed, and highway speeds?

how happy are you with the quality of the sound system? If you had the chance to drive / ride in the R1T, can you compare it to the R1S?

does your R1S have any outstanding squeaks or rattles?

how well does phone as a key work?

thanks in advance!
1) I did drive an R1T for my first mile event back in May and I would say handling, noise, and the other metrics you mention they are equivalent. I have noticed that my R1S has a better turn radius which is expected given it is shorted but I was surprised at how small the turn radius actually is.

2) typing on my phone so I won't go find the link but I have an entire thread about audio with real metrics and frequency response graphs of my R1S

3) no squeaks or rattles. I had a loose Screw in the top of my liftgate but for it fixed at the Denver SC. Now it is dead quiet.

4) I don't really rely on phone as a key. I always have my FOB with me so I can't really comment on PaaK
Sponsored

OP
OP
svet-am

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
This question isn't R1S specific, but do the dashboard climate vents remember the preferred position set by each driver? My wife and I will want the vents blowing different places, just like we'll have the seat in different positions. Is the positioning of the vents tied to the driver profile (assuming there are drive profiles), or do they need to be readjusted "manually" each time?

Thanks!
No, they are universal rather than tied to a user. I really hope they change that in an OTA. In addition, paired Bluetooth devices are universal rather than tied to a user. More than once my wife has gotten in the car first and her phone took over music and such even though I am driving. I really hope they make this more like Android Automotive where you pair phones on a per user basis.

onebassplayer

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Infiniti M37x
Occupation
HR
I saw the comment about windows closing when you walk away from the car and I am wondering if they can, at all, be operated remotely (ie: holding down the lock or unlock button)?

Also, do the mirrors collapse once the vehicle is parked and locked?

Appreciate your time with all of this!!!

onebassplayer

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Infiniti M37x
Occupation
HR
Do you have any car seats installed in the vehicle? I would potentially have two car seats and one booster...trying to map out where I'd put them...
I don't own one yet but have sat in one (and I have the same need for multiple car seats). You can easily fit 2 car sets in the 2nd row and even in the 3rd row. I may play around with the configuration once mine arrives - might even give my boys a little input :cool:

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Once you start the delivery process, do they give you an opportunity to add the rear cargo cover to your order or is that something you just have to order through the gear shop no matter what?

Sponsored

Chgroth

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover LR4 and Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
Insurance Company Executive
So long as Amazon keeps buying vans, they will stay afloat or at least find new VC funding. Once AZ pulls out, they are royally fubar.
There’s clearly a risk to the ability of Rivian maintaining itself as a stand alone company. However, it has a lot of value from its technology, patents and production potential, so if if Amazon pulls it’s orders (if that is contractually possible), there’s a good possibility under that downside scenario that another investor would buy in (e.g. a well established auto manufacturer). The brand might even survive that.

jffkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Once you start the delivery process, do they give you an opportunity to add the rear cargo cover to your order or is that something you just have to order through the gear shop no matter what?
You have to buy it directly from the gear shop vs add to order. At least that has been my experience after talking to my guide. The variability in guide responses is quite high though so you may get a totally different answer :)

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

1) You really don't need the sideview mirrors tilt down when reversing. Rivian has something better... the birdseye view is PERFECT to assist backing up and parking; or you can use the side cameras but I found that the birdseye view is much much better.
How does birdseye view work? Will it detect a kid/person walking behind the vehicle? Or is it computer graphics based on movement of the car? Or a combination?

3K+D

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Toyota Sienna Ltd AWD, Lexus 450h
Since there was a similar thread for the R1T I decided to start one for the R1S bow that there are increasingly more of them being delivered.

So, whatcha want to know?
I'm looking to move to the R1S from a minivan. I haven't seen detailed mention of the 2nd row seat options. Specifically: is it possible to have the outboard seats up but with the part in the center down? (Every time I've seen the seats going up and down, the center part is connected to the left side.)

If it's possible, is it at all workable for someone to move from one of the 2nd row seats into the 3rd row? In minivan-land, I'm used to an aisle between 2nd row captains chairs. Where I keep one seat up in the 3rd row and the rest down for storage/access. I realize that if that middle section of the 2nd row is down, it's not at floor level; more like elbow height. I'd like to know if, even with height, it's a usable passage to the back.

I appreciate the chance to ask. Not sure when I'm going to have a chance to see an R1S in-person.

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
How does birdseye view work? Will it detect a kid/person walking behind the vehicle? Or is it computer graphics based on movement of the car? Or a combination?
It is real time; it uses all the cameras from your car and put together an overhead picture surrounding your car. It recognizes most things if they are not moving; you may see only a blurry object if it is moving.

Sponsored

DinNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - LE/LG/BM/20” Dark

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

It is real time; it uses all the cameras from your car and put together an overhead picture surrounding your car. It recognizes most things if they are not moving; you may see only a blurry object if it is moving.
Thanks. With a more powerful processor or stitching software, the moving image wouldn't be blurry? I'm certainly in the habit of using my rear camera and mirror to visualize objects behind me in my model S, but the R1S is quite a bit bigger. Would be nice to get a clear view of objects at creeping speed (0.5mph) as one backs out of garage for example.

OP
OP
svet-am

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
OP
OP
svet-am

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thanks. With a more powerful processor or stitching software, the moving image wouldn't be blurry? I'm certainly in the habit of using my rear camera and mirror to visualize objects behind me in my model S, but the R1S is quite a bit bigger. Would be nice to get a clear view of objects at creeping speed (0.5mph) as one backs out of garage for example.
Rivian has both the 360 bird's eye view and also three point rear and front facing cameras. For the use case you are talking about I use the three point camera rather than bird's eye.
Sponsored