Sponsored

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

And I should add... the weight sensor isn't activated with the seat down, even with me sitting on the folded down seat.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
And I should add... the weight sensor isn't activated with the seat down, even with me sitting on the folded down seat.
wonder if wedging a pillow in there when folding down the seat would apply enough pressure to spoof it (I'm assuming the sensor is in the seat base cushion)?

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

wonder if wedging a pillow in there when folding down the seat would apply enough pressure to spoof it (I'm assuming the sensor is in the seat base cushion)?
Maybe? Hard to say if the folded seat deactivates the sensor or blocks it. I don't want to put a ton of weight on the folded seat with something on the seat. I can tell you that one side can be folded and the other side not and sitting on one side activates the vents for both.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Maybe? Hard to say if the folded seat deactivates the sensor or blocks it. I don't want to put a ton of weight on the folded seat with something on the seat. I can tell you that one side can be folded and the other side not and sitting on one side activates the vents for both.
I'll have to have both sides down for the dog crate.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Sponsored

andisimose

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas
Ok... so here's the verdict. There appears to be a weight sensor in the 3rd row that activates the vents. Weight on either side (it's a 50/50 split 2 seater) activates both the L/R vents regardless of seat belt status. ONLY when the A/C is on. If heat is on, 3rd row vents aren't active at all. There are no climate settings for 3rd row but seems like they could be added via OTA. What other questions?
Thank you so much for testing this out. The results seem to be very odd and leave me with more questions haha

- why no heat?
- why only when occupied. I mean it’s one big cavern in there
- why?

questions no one can answer.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

How do y'all feel about the size?

I have the R1T and it's the perfect size for our needs and applications. My wife has a pre-pricegate R1S reserved but she thinks it's too big for her/our needs. I saw one at a service center and love it. We also checked out our friends' ID.4 this week and she really liked the size, apart from the no frunk.

Day to day, it's probably big for her. But I think it's that perfect road trip application.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I am wondering what people think of 20 vs 22 inch tires for noise (since the rear wheels are within the main cabin area for the S) and the ride. Someone earlier asked if the recent OTA had made much difference to the S ride/handling mix.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Do you have to buy the LTE connection from rivian or can you put in your own sim card?

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Do you have to buy the LTE connection from rivian or can you put in your own sim card?
Right now and through 2023 you get Rivian’s AT&T connection for free. After that? Anyone's guess.

Sponsored

hugebob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord
Now imagine paying 10 dollars every month for LTE in 2025! For a cellular modem built in 2019? Your smartphone will provide so much more bandwidth!
Would you buy an iPhone 9 in 2023?

Why would anyone pay 10 dollars to use the touchscreen?
If its bundled in with charging perks, road side assistance etc, then maybe I could justify. Just standalone for lte so I can use maps from map quest?

No thank you.
Can see the subscription model failing before it even starts!
I asked Rivian CS about this very thing: the ability to upgrade to a 5G module or whatever the future brings. Nope!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

What does the sheet metal rear of the front seats look like with everything removed?

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Thank you so much for testing this out. The results seem to be very odd and leave me with more questions haha

- why no heat?
- why only when occupied. I mean it’s one big cavern in there
- why?

questions no one can answer.
https://rivian.software/2023-10-00/

Of interest...

"New Third Row Fan Control (R1S ONLY)
The second- and third-row seats now have separate controls for your convenince. For access, choose the temperature with the Fan icon on the center display. Then choose Middle to access the second-row climate controls, or choose Back to access the third-row fan controls."

I'm installing now. Will let you know after I have a chance to test it.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

https://rivian.software/2023-10-00/

Of interest...

"New Third Row Fan Control (R1S ONLY)
The second- and third-row seats now have separate controls for your convenince. For access, choose the temperature with the Fan icon on the center display. Then choose Middle to access the second-row climate controls, or choose Back to access the third-row fan controls."

I'm installing now. Will let you know after I have a chance to test it.
Can confirm the new update allows you to turn on the 3rd row vents independently. There's no way to separately set the temps but you can separately control the blower speed.
Sponsored