Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

They tested the underarmor by dropping trucks two feet onto metal spikes.
This has been on the Rivian web site for quite some time. And it's actually more than just a sheet of carbon fiber.
riv_underbody.png

Ya'll just screwed me over. Now I have to totally reconsider the Off-Road package.. :p:p

Hmm, I think I can keep my truck below $74K if I change the color from Rivian Blue to Forest Green..
Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Ya'll just screwed me over. Now I have to totally reconsider the Off-Road package.. :p:p

Hmm, I think I can keep my truck below $74K if I change the color from Rivian Blue to Forest Green..
The armor is there without. I think off road just adds more skid protection on the edges for more aesthetic protection than battery protection.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

The armor is there without. I think off road just adds more skid protection on the edges for more aesthetic protection than battery protection.
It's the kind of thing I need to know because I WILL be taking this truck offroad,,,, a lot.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

The software issues are more concerning but I agree they can all be corrected. I’m sure they’ll be fixed long before I get mine.. haha
I’m all for hoping things improve with OTA updates. However people should make purchase choices based on what already exists in my opinion. Banking on future improvements in order to be satisfied is a recipe for disappointment. If what is there today misses a key feature for someone or is so laggy it drives them bonkers then passing on the car is the right choice.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I’m all for hoping things improve with OTA updates. However people should make purchase choices based on what already exists in my opinion. Banking on future improvements in order to be satisfied is a recipe for disappointment. If what is there today misses a key feature for someone or is so laggy it drives them bonkers then passing on the car is the right choice.
I don't disagree with that statement. For instance, one thing that just boggles my mind is that Rivian isn't supporting CarPlay or Android Auto. Not only that, they aren't supporting streaming music over a USB connection (only Bluetooth, which isn't nearly as good). It seems that 2nd decision has been made to push folks to use Spotify (which I'm not going go to do). As I've stated elsewhere, I want CarPlay for Waze and Gaia support. There is no way their GPS maps are covering all these off road trails that I navigate. Gaia integrates with other services like TrailsOffroad to give accurate trail maps. ONX is another good one. But I'll need a phone mount to put those to work.

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
It is interesting to observe that this thread, which includes some of the critical information on the capabilities and shortcomings of the R1T has fewer comments than the thread mentioning this MKBHD guy, which has minimal new or useful information.

Is it that this review may be too technical, too much to read, or is it because it is not video-based?

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Quality review. I did watch the embedded video "Awesome Gadgetry/Tech" and at minute 3:45 I went full screen at 1080p quality--does that light vegan leather Ocean coast armrest look a bit stained/dirty already, especially on the passenger armrest stitching area? (I'm going Black Mountain myself, but maybe something to look at if you're thinking OC). Might just be my monitor.
I’m seeing the same thing around the stitching. It looks dirty, which isn’t surprising considering how dirty/dusty some of the trucks looked in the various reviews from Colorado. Definitely something to consider when choosing a color.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I don't disagree with that statement. For instance, one thing that just boggles my mind is that Rivian isn't supporting CarPlay or Android Auto. Not only that, they aren't supporting streaming music over a USB connection (only Bluetooth, which isn't nearly as good). It seems that 2nd decision has been made to push folks to use Spotify (which I'm not going go to do). As I've stated elsewhere, I want CarPlay for Waze and Gaia support. There is no way their GPS maps are covering all these off road trails that I navigate. Gaia integrates with other services like TrailsOffroad to give accurate trail maps. ONX is another good one. But I'll need a phone mount to put those to work.
I feel sure it’s a financial decision to not support Android Auto or CarPlay and to support Amazon and Spotify. Put bluntly, I’d bet dollars to donuts that Spotify and Amazon are giving Rivian tall cash to incorporate them in the Rivian. Android and Apple are not paying (plus both are set on world domination, so you want to be careful about inviting them to your party).

At this early stage Rivian needs all the pennies it can save and earn. They’re burning billions of dollars while making tens of vehicles. They’re hiring thousands of people, right now, and maybe making thousands of dollars on the trucks they’re selling, although they could also ALL be getting sold as loss leaders to set the stage for secondary purchases (insurance, maintenance, subscription services, etc.).

In time we may be able to pay to add Android and Apple, but I think it’s less than 50% likely within 5 years.

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Put bluntly, I’d bet dollars to donuts that Spotify and Amazon are giving Rivian tall cash to incorporate them in the Rivian.
If this were a revenue stream, it would have been disclosed in the S-1.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I feel sure it’s a financial decision to not support Android Auto or CarPlay and to support Amazon and Spotify. Put bluntly, I’d bet dollars to donuts that Spotify and Amazon are giving Rivian tall cash to incorporate them in the Rivian. Android and Apple are not paying (plus both are set on world domination, so you want to be careful about inviting them to your party).

At this early stage Rivian needs all the pennies it can save and earn. They’re burning billions of dollars while making tens of vehicles. They’re hiring thousands of people, right now, and maybe making thousands of dollars on the trucks they’re selling, although they could also ALL be getting sold as loss leaders to set the stage for secondary purchases (insurance, maintenance, subscription services, etc.).

In time we may be able to pay to add Android and Apple, but I think it’s less than 50% likely within 5 years.
Naw. There are hurdles to incorporate AA and CP, but Rivian should be able to incorporate Spotify on their own through Spotify's API if I recall correctly. Same with TuneIn. You're free to take a guess as to the reason for Alex integration, but if Amazon were paying them, I'd have expected to see Amazon music integrated into the UI at launch.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I bet it has nothing to do with money from Amazon. It simply has to be with them wanting a walled garden that only their stuff lives in. They keep control over the UX and get you used to using their tools, probably to support a monthly subscription fee.

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

Naw. There are hurdles to incorporate AA and CP, but Rivian should be able to incorporate Spotify on their own through Spotify's API if I recall correctly. Same with TuneIn. You're free to take a guess as to the reason for Alex integration, but if Amazon were paying them, I'd have expected to see Amazon music integrated into the UI at launch.
I don't use Spotify. Maybe this will make me try it. My streaming music comes from Youtube Music as I paid for premium YT to get rid of ads and the music comes in with it. I understand Spotify API was one of the first available. Even teslas does not currently support YT music as Google as not released its API. So I kind of understand Spotify's offering here. As long as Spotify and Maps/navigation is as good as the best out there I guess it would be ok

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
I don't use Spotify. Maybe this will make me try it. My streaming music comes from Youtube Music as I paid for premium YT to get rid of ads and the music comes in with it. I understand Spotify API was one of the first available. Even teslas does not currently support YT music as Google as not released its API. So I kind of understand Spotify's offering here. As long as Spotify and Maps/navigation is as good as the best out there I guess it would be ok
I also use YT Music as it comes with YouTube subscription; best $10 I spend every month. No ads in YouTube, listen with screen off, listen to old/live songs etc.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I also use YT Music as it comes with YouTube subscription; best $10 I spend every month. No ads in YouTube, listen with screen off, listen to old/live songs etc.
I only get that for 4 months everytine I change phones ??
Sponsored