Sponsored

Electronaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Link - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...truck-is-the-car-i-most-want-to-drive-in-2021

The Car I’m Most Excited to Drive in 2021 Could Change Everything
If it delivers on all of its promises, Rivian’s R1T electric truck will be the next big thing.

December 10, 2020

Even the pandemic didn’t stop automakers from unveiling cars in 2020. From the achingly beautiful Ferrari Roma to the electric Polestar 2, and from the Mercedes-Maybach GLS to three track-worthy wagons, the new products provided some optimism about the future of driving while many other diversions (concerts, shopping, travel) stalled.

But that’s old news.

What I’m really looking forward to driving in 2021 is not a car at all. It’s a truck: the Rivian R1T.

The company announced it in 2018, long before Tesla Inc.’s Cybertruck and General Motors Co.’s Hummer EV, so it’s about time. (Last year, I wrote about wanting to drive the Cybertruck … and I’m still waiting for that test drive.)

With a 754 horsepower and all-wheel drive, the R1T is not the most practical construction-site hauler, though potential buyers will certainly include a few hardworking ranchers, builders, and outdoor types. The truck bed alone is dwarfed by that of the Cybertruck, which is 6½ feet long and 57 inches wide. The R1T’s bed is reportedly just 4¼ feet by 50 inches. It will, however, go from zero to 60 mph in the same time as a Porsche 911.

But more than the $75,000 truck’s considerable capabilities—it promises up to 400 miles of driving range—I’m also fascinated by the company behind it.

Founded in 2009 in Plymouth, Mich., Rivian Automotive Inc. has garnered wide praise for bringing to market what myriad others (Bollinger, Fisker, Lordstown Motors, Atlis, and Nikola, among others) have yet to produce: an actual, for-sale, road-legal, live-in-living-color electric truck.

If Rivian executives hold true to their promise that the R1T will hit customers’ driveways in June, it will beat the Cybertruck (slated for the end of 2021), Ford Motor Co.’s electric F-150 (on sale by 2022), and the Hummer to become America’s first battery-powered pickup (the full range will premiere in 2023). Whichever company gets its out first, and does it well, will land a huge coup from a branding perspective, as well as immense profits. The electrified truck represents an astoundingly lucrative market: Last year, 2.5 million Americans bought a pickup truck. They’re on track to outpace the sales of SUVs, which, when combined with truck sales, constitute 70% of the U.S. market for new vehicles.

“We’re seeing customers come out of just about everything,” RJ Scaringe, Rivian’s founder and chief executive officer, told Bloomberg on Dec. 10. “Of course, [they’re] coming out of pickups, but often—more likely—coming out of SUVs, out of other electric vehicles.”

The big question is what makes, or will make, Rivian exceptional among its set. Plenty of people do believe it’s special: T. Rowe Price, BlackRock, Fidelity, Soros Fund Management, and Cox Automotive, among others, have invested a cumulative total of more than $6 billion into the company. Last year, Ford paid $500 million for access to Rivian’s electric “skateboard” truck platform, a few months before Amazon.com Inc.’s Jeff Bezos ordered 100,000 Rivian-made delivery vans.

Last week, former Aston Martin President Laura Schwab announced she had left the legacy British auto brand to become Rivian’s vice president for sales and marketing. “It is sooooooo exciting!” is how she put it.

What’s more, Rivian has ambitions far beyond an electric pickup (and subsequent SUV, called the R1S). It wants to go global, with lower-priced, smaller models planned for Europe and China. It wants to build 41 service centers across the U.S. by next year. (Company execs say 80% of servicing will be done at an owner’s home or workplace via a fleet of customized Ford Transit vans and Rivian’s own electrified service fleet.) And it wants to open a nationwide network of fast-charging stations capable of adding 140 miles of range in 20 minutes.

It’s wild ambition that will look either delusional or prescient in the future. Only time will tell, which is why I can’t wait to see for myself what all the fuss is about. For me, the proof is in the pudding … or the pickup, as the case may be.
Sponsored

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
It's wild to think they have been around since 2009 and are finally about to launch their car. I will say that gets me excited though. It means a lot of time and effort has been put into this. It's why companies like Amazon and Ford have invested in them. They see the inner working that we don't and were apparently impressed enough to go in with them.

I do hope they get the R1T out by June even if it's only a handful of them. The press alone from the launch will help them secure A LOT more orders.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Hannah Elliott has a wide readership on Bloomberg and she puts out dozens of auto and motorcycle reviews annually. She's a good first, upmarket, mainstream reviewer to do a somewhat deep dive even if she got some details wrong (51" wide, not 50", on the R1T bed and she didn't mention Amazon's $700 million investment though she does mention its 100,000 van order). She hasn't actually driven a Rivian, like Emme Hall has. It would be nice if Emme actually said more about the R1T than she has after spending ten days with the truck. That's a lot more time than any non-Rivian person has had. Or let Hannah Elliott actually drive one.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It would be nice if Emme actually said more about the R1T than she has after spending ten days with the truck.... Or let Hannah Elliott actually drive one.
I'm sure they would love to. Since it hasn't happened yet, it's because Rivian hasn't been ready to allow it.

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner
Hannah Elliott has a wide readership on Bloomberg and she puts out dozens of auto and motorcycle reviews annually. She's a good first, upmarket, mainstream reviewer to do a somewhat deep dive even if she got some details wrong (51" wide, not 50", on the R1T bed and she didn't mention Amazon's $700 million investment though she does mention its 100,000 van order). She hasn't actually driven a Rivian, like Emme Hall has. It would be nice if Emme actually said more about the R1T than she has after spending ten days with the truck. That's a lot more time than any non-Rivian person has had. Or let Hannah Elliott actually drive one.
A couple of days ago I listened to an Australian interview with Emme. Appreciated her honest take. It was cool to hear her so excited about the instant torque! I am too :)

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Here is another article and video talking about the general truck market. Rivian videos throughout and mentioned around the 8 min mark.

https://flip.it/nxcOhT

Rivian R1T R1S Article: The Car [R1T] I’m Most Excited to Drive in 2021 Could Change Everything 1610122285071

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Ugh. Cool video, but This bizarre media obsession with range anxiety without context is frustrating.

Yes, originally electric cars had much more limited range. Explain that it has improved dramatically. Explain the range and compare it to typical US daily driving distances.

Explain that you never leave your house with less than 80% of a full “tank” unlike ICE vehicles.
Sponsored