First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
But will it still come with the bulletproof/shatterproof windows that EVERYONE needs???
Rivian R1T R1S Article: Tesla's Cybertruck May Not Actually Happen 1642107063510
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChrissyOne

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
I'm far from a Tesla fan, but let's be fair. There's a HUGE gulf between "They have a production version ready" and "It is completely vaporware and will never happen". I'd expect the final outcome to land somewhere between those extremes.
Yes, but they haven't visibly taken any steps between those things yet. "Supply Chain issues" is a cop out when you don't even have a pre-production truck.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, but they haven't visibly taken any steps between those things yet. "Supply Chain issues" is a cop out when you don't even have a pre-production truck.
Does every step have to be visible? Or what about the recent leaked shots that showed a CT with slightly different proportions (yes, and that silly wiper).

I'm sorry, but this screams much more like having a grudge or axe to grind than any meaningful commentary.

OP
OP
ChrissyOne

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
But will it still come with the bulletproof/shatterproof windows that EVERYONE needs???
Don't forget the Adaptive Suspension...

Rivian R1T R1S Article: Tesla's Cybertruck May Not Actually Happen Cybertruck Elon

OP
OP
ChrissyOne

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I'm sorry, but this screams much more like having a grudge or axe to grind than any meaningful commentary.
I'm just looking at history. This fits the track record of the semi, Solar City, the Vegas Loop, Starship, and countless other broken promises.

But sure, this time will be different.

Sponsored

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
I hope they wipe out the original design. If Tesla designs a more-practical looking truck I'd seriously consider it.

Riv240

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T
Demand is over a theoretical product. I have extreme doubts that Tesla will be able to pull it off as advertised.
Absolutely agree it won't the same as advertised, it could be smaller, having larger side mirrors, crazy mega wiper, less aggressive tires/wheels, not as advertised power, range, the list can go on and on. But the huge demand for whatever it may end up being will still be there

It was supposed to be in production two years ago. When the very first Rivian prototypes were ready, they ran them across South America. Thus far, we have seen no demo of the CT beyond driving fans around on the street at the debut.

If this is a real truck what ON EARTH are they doing? No off-road demos. No preview tests. No rallies. Nothing but some drone footage of their test track. They should at least have a more finalized prototype by now. That doesn't require a manufacturing plant. It should have been done years ago.

It's a vapor product.
Same can be said about their model 3, it took waaay longer than expected, but it happened. The segment demand is huge, and the reservations indicates it as well. What is questionable is that people and article writers think CT is vaporware, they have a market capitalization more than some of the auto manufacturers combined.

Who knows what their delays may be, adding more technology (4 wheel steering, or whatever else), more software (I'd say they are the best in the EV business), more patents, battery, supply, parts, getting rid of their mega wiper, finalizing xyz. If this was Nikola, then I'd agree, it's vaporware, but I hardly think it's vaporware

Riv240

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T
I'm just looking at history. This fits the track record of the semi, Solar City, the Vegas Loop, Starship, and countless other broken promises.

But sure, this time will be different.
wow, yeah, i agree, you sound soooo bitter against Tesla, like a personal grudge.... sounds like they broke some promises to you, like personally...

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Absolutely agree it won't the same as advertised, it could be smaller, having larger side mirrors, crazy mega wiper, less aggressive tires/wheels, not as advertised power, range, the list can go on and on. But the huge demand for whatever it may end up being will still be there

Same can be said about their model 3, it took waaay longer than expected, but it happened. The segment demand is huge, and the reservations indicates it as well. What is questionable is that people and article writers think CT is vaporware, they have a market capitalization more than some of the auto manufacturers combined.

Who knows what their delays may be, adding more technology (4 wheel steering, or whatever else), more software (I'd say they are the best in the EV business), more patents, battery, supply, parts, getting rid of their mega wiper, finalizing xyz. If this was Nikola, then I'd agree, it's vaporware, but I hardly think it's vaporware
Maybe I'm wrong but Nikola has delivered more electric semi-trucks than Tesla has.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38569564/nikola-electric-semi-trucks-delivered/

OP
OP
ChrissyOne

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
wow, yeah, i agree, you sound soooo bitter against Tesla, like a personal grudge.... sounds like they broke some promises to you, like personally...
Not against Tesla. I think it's a good company. But Elon is a con man. Sorry, but history backs me up. Tesla will do fine, probably better, once he's gone.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
RJ goes to bed at night dreaming that Rivian will be 75% of what Tesla already is, right?

I don't like Tesla but Rivian doesn't exist if Tesla hadn't paved the way.
Rivian's team better be doing more than dreaming. I expect they have a master plan, just like Tesla 15 years ago. With $TSLA at $1.1 trillion, and $RIVN at $0.078 trillion : ) … both companies have wildly inflated market caps that are all but impossible to justify by building cars any time soon. I assume they are both, like BYD, and unlike "burn stuff" car makers, plan on being energy companies (building factories to make batteries for vehicles, homes and grids.)

I think the most common disposition towards Tesla is to love the car and loathe the company, especially the garish, crass behavior of Musk. When Tesla started, nobody knew the market was ready to buy EVs (including everyone at Tesla for years after the Model S went into production … ) I think there's an "alternate universe" scenario where Tesla fails and five other EV startups try their luck, then one of them succeeds either in the USA or China. Just the size of the market in China says the statistical likelihood favors a Chinese market battery maker (CATL, BYD) makes an EV, then others follow and we get the same EV market we see around the world. If you take away the US-centric and Tesla-centric view of the EV world, we see smaller, cheaper EVs with a scattered charging network, mostly owned for city and short range driving. We'd still have the numerous ICE makers found guilty of defrauding governments and consumers with emissions cheating, so we'd still have them fined and compelled to build a charging network. We'd still be facing a 2030 "deadline" and we'd still be seeing companies like Ford building the F-150 Lightning because they simply have no choice but to start the transition to electric and the F-150 owner is just about ideal (not for towing, just for fleets and trades driving less than 200 miles per day.) So I think we were going to get Rivian bootstrapped one way or another.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Not against Tesla. I think it's a good company. But Elon is a con man. Sorry, but history backs me up. Tesla will do fine, probably better, once he's gone.
I'm with ya. I don't have anything against Tesla or Musk for that matter, and I'll stop short of calling him a con man because I respect a lot of the stuff he has done. But if you take an objective look at him overall, he can be a mix of PT Barnum, The Wizard Oz, and David Blaine and therefore his own worst enemy.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
@ChrissyOne, I'll give you the low down on the CT ... you know what I want from you ;)

(inside joke folks, don't read too much into it)

Last edited:

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

And Apple would't exist if ENIAC hadn't paved the way. How many people have one of those at home?
In a world of terrible analogies, this is really one of the worst.
Sponsored