Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Last edited by a moderator:

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Clubs

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
TL;DR - RJ is an auto savant with a passion to learn and affect change in the industry. Also, legacy carmakers are playing catch up. Lastly, the dealership model sucks donkey balls.

Good article. Thanks for posting!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I’m sure all the big automakers would love to have fans as devoted as Rivian. Jeep has that going for them, but the rest of GM sure doesn’t. Rivian needs to be careful they don’t try too hard to BE Ford and GM…. What makes them unique is their brand and the people they have working for them.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Ramp production, focus on quality improvement, expand service capability. Rinse. Repeat.

Rivian will be just fine.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

The key to Rivian's long term success is as noted here from here from the story:

"The company has delivered about 14,000 vehicles, but still has an orderbacklog of 114,000. Over time, though, the difference between Rivian’s products and those that could be bought more easily or cheaply from an established automaker could become lost on shoppers."

How not to lose the differentiation from all of the competitors. There will be nothing special about eSUV or eTruck in a very short time. To the point of being a commodity, so how to create the value proposition for the consumers will be the key.

The last paragraph in the story gives some insight into what R2 may focus on:

"The efficacy of getting a whole bike in or out of the vehicle is something that’s really important in the future for us,” he said. “The ability to put a car seat in the back, the ability to throw gear in the front trunk. These are all really important things for us as a brand because we want you to be able to take your friends, your things, your pets, your stuff to all the places you want to go in the world."

Lower priced, aimed at younger families with small children and active seem to be their target. Given how many expenses families starting out have, and their bent on "green", they are headed, I think, in the right direction but the devil is in the details as the cliche goes so we'll see...

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
I’m sure all the big automakers would love to have fans as devoted as Rivian. Jeep has that going for them, but the rest of GM sure doesn’t. Rivian needs to be careful they don’t try too hard to BE Ford and GM…. What makes them unique is their brand and the people they have working for them.
This won't be a problem for RIVIAN since Scaringe insists the direct customer relationship is too valuable to hand off to independent dealerships. He's the type of person that stays true to his belief, if I'm not mistaken. I've never had such good feeling like I do now, so glad to own a R1T. The other night in a Costco parking lot in Pittsburgh, out of nowhere, a RIVIAN employee stopped and talked to me, albeit briefly, asking me how I like my truck and thanking me for owning one. It makes owning a RIVIAN so personal, no other car company or dealership can give you that.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
This won't be a problem for RIVIAN since Scaringe insists the direct customer relationship is too valuable to hand off to independent dealerships. He's the type of person that stays true to his belief, if I'm not mistaken. I've never had such good feeling like I do now, so glad to own a R1T. The other night in a Costco parking lot in Pittsburgh, out of nowhere, a RIVIAN employee stopped and talked to me, albeit briefly, asking me how I like my truck and thanking me for owning one. It makes owning a RIVIAN so personal, no other car company or dealership can give you that.
That's awesome. I agree 100%. I am not one to be a full on cheerleader for any brand or business because in the end a business exists to be profitable and to do well for it's shareholders. RJ is human and Rivian is just a company in the end. But they have so far managed to maintain a balance (not without bumps in the road), with employees that mostly seem to really have bought into the idea, and a great group of fans who might be the most patient group of people on earth to wait as long as they have to get a single vehicle.

I had my intro call with my guide last week and I left that call with the best feeling, like he is just a wonderful human being. Very little of our 45 minute call was about my configuration. Most of it just felt like talking to someone I had known for a long time. I realize not everyone has had that same experience but Rivian does have many good people on their side and that can take them very far.

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
First name? I had a call like that with my guide: Mark.
90 percent of our talk was about things other than the Truck.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
First name? I had a call like that with my guide: Mark.
90 percent of our talk was about things other than the Truck.
Yep, probably the same guy. Works out of Normal.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I wonder what will be considered affordable in 2026? I assume progress on battery costs will be made, but these would still have to be $50k+ products no?
Chevy Equinox EV looks like it’s projected to start at $30k and top trim around $45k, for reference. More less expensive choices would be nice.

Longreach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata
Chevy Equinox EV looks like it’s projected to start at $30k and top trim around $45k, for reference. More less expensive choices would be nice.
Yes, GM has set some surprising price stakes in the ground with the Lyriq, Blazer and Equinox. If they can pull it off, the industry turning point may have arrived.

Won’t affect R1, which occupies a unique market niche, but could have ramifications for R2.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Yes, GM has set some surprising price stakes in the ground with the Lyriq, Blazer and Equinox. If they can pull it off, the industry turning point may have arrived.

Won’t affect R1, which occupies a unique market niche, but could have ramifications for R2.
I also have a Lyriq Debut Edition reservation, which I’ll probably cancel, since I got my R1T a few weeks ago. I placed my R1T preorder a couple weeks after I got the Lyriq Debut Edition reservation. People complain about Rivians communication, GM doesn’t provide communication to complain about. GM was projecting deliveries to start in Spring 2022. Last email I had from GM said that all the Debut Editions would be built (not delivered) by the end of this year, but I see people online saying they have build dates in January.
Sponsored