First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
GM certainly seems to be all in on the EV future. They have a bigger portfolio of small, medium, large EVs they plan to sell, unlike Ford who has trucks and mustangs at this point. I'm just happy to see companies other than Tesla helping to move things forward. I am no Elon fan, but that was a huge accomplishment.
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

GM certainly seems to be all in on the EV future. They have a bigger portfolio of small, medium, large EVs they plan to sell, unlike Ford who has trucks and mustangs at this point. I'm just happy to see companies other than Tesla helping to move things forward. I am no Elon fan, but that was a huge accomplishment.
And Ford has a bigger portfolio than Stellantis.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

From portfolio of current BEVs, I t believe VW Group has more models than anyone on the road. In terms of volume, its Tesla, BYD then VW Group.

The the late this decade, there will be more EVs than ICE being offered in total from everyone so just hope that our grid and electronic infrastructure can support the heavy demands, especially during the hot summer months.

No rabbit hole of global warming or renewables or politics - just simple supply and demand for millions of EVs, including electric semi trucks needing to be charged.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I’ve made the comparison before to people, there’s a reason people buy apple products even though Samsung has benchmarked them and created clones w better specs and better pricing.

Rivian is creating an actual “brand.” I challenge anyone here to as easily as Rivian identify gm’s brand identity.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I’ve made the comparison before to people, there’s a reason people buy apple products even though Samsung has benchmarked them and created clones w better specs and better pricing.

Rivian is creating an actual “brand.” I challenge anyone here to as easily as Rivian identify gm’s brand identity.
Totally agree. Apple, Rivian, Tesla are all strong brands. I think Ford might be trying to actually accomplish that by shrinking down how many offerings they have. I can see how it would be hard for people to see you as the adventure EV brand if you sell ICE/ EV versions of various sedans, hatchbacks, SUVs and trucks.

Apple has that Apple design language that everyone recognizes immediately. Rivian has that right now with the 2 models we have seen, but GM would have a very hard time accomplishing that With all the markets they are trying to reach. Jeep is their only brand that manages to pull it off.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
This was a terribly written article that really is multiple paragraphs saying nothing at all. The history of Rivian stuff was all done before, and writing that competition is coming as if it was some sort of revelation was pretty silly too. The fact that other automakers are going in on electric now is kind of the no shit statement of the year.

This article reminds me of the students who copy paste irrelevant blurbs from a google search a half hour before class on the day their paper is due.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Totally agree. Apple, Rivian, Tesla are all strong brands. I think Ford might be trying to actually accomplish that by shrinking down how many offerings they have. I can see how it would be hard for people to see you as the adventure EV brand if you sell ICE/ EV versions of various sedans, hatchbacks, SUVs and trucks.

Apple has that Apple design language that everyone recognizes immediately. Rivian has that right now with the 2 models we have seen, but GM would have a very hard time accomplishing that With all the markets they are trying to reach. Jeep is their only brand that manages to pull it off.
You’re right about Jeep having a distinct “identity” but Jeep is a child of FCA (Chrysler/Dodge/RAM or whatever they’ve become) and not affiliated with General Motors.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You’re right about Jeep having a distinct “identity” but Jeep is a child of FCA (Chrysler/Dodge/RAM or whatever they’ve become) and not affiliated with General Motors.
Thank you. I don’t know why I keep thinking it’s part of GM. I guess GM really doesn’t have anything then :giggle:

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I wonder what will be considered affordable in 2026? I assume progress on battery costs will be made, but these would still have to be $50k+ products no?
What if EV prices drop like TVs. What was a state-of-the-art TV costing $5k is now $500!

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
What if EV prices drop like TVs. What was a state-of-the-art TV costing $5k is now $500!
Technology tends to get cheaper over time so it wouldn’t surprise me.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Superb article. Loved RJ’s comment that starting his career working for a major auto manufacturer would have reduced his chances for success to zero (in wanting to start a car company).

10 year overnight success. Many of us talk about entrepreneurship, few of us have the stones and mind to do so, let alone on this scale and difficulty.

Also gotta give props to the Carhart Rivian shop floor workshirt, which feels like it should be offered for sale in the gear shop.

Happy Turkeyday all.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I hope so. That's what we need. Lots of choices and prices that can compete with today's ICE at all levels.
Scale reduces cost when components are cheap and you're mostly just paying off non recurring (engineering) expense. EV pricing remains and I think is likely to remain mostly dependent on battery pricing and we've all seen how, while that is slowly decreasing, it is not decreasing as quickly as all else is rising, and that there have been few breakthroughs in that technology that will bring down costs anytime soon (carbon, etc. remains years away). If "we" think EVs are the better overall path for the environment (I do) then any sort of collective incentive (tax rebates, etc) are a good thing, and anything limiting those (capped income qualifications, etc) are not so good. ICE will remain cheaper until the fuel suppliers (or those who set taxes) decide they want to milk more from that market, since there's too little competition in that area, and which I think will happen once the push to EVs becomes significant enough to start affecting those bottom lines.

As for Rivian, since the 300+ mile range seems the attractive spot for driver/buyer interest, though we all of course would also like the 5 minute recharge those future batteries will hopefully provide, then if manufacturers start targeting that range it's going to place even more demand on battery components. Rivian (so smartly, IMO) targeted the most pollutive vehicle segment with their large vehicles, and it's helpful that was also where they could likely eventually have the best margins, and also smartly picked the "adventure" scenario as a viable and grossly unnoticed market target. Backing off trying to fully capture that segment by dropping "toys" like winches, longer range, working covers, electrochromic sunroofs, 180 tailgates,. snow melting headlights, multi-sensor driver assist (lidar), etc., is not perceived as leaning forward in the adventure harness, but quite the opposite, and when someone like Range Rover (or others) introduces a vehicle that is the be-all-do-all for that segment, it's going to attract eyeballs and influencers.

Finally, every Riven that squeaks and wobbles and is said to be "within spec", and every misaligned panel that leaves the "high end" company's factory with a. "ship it!" sticker on the side is a big Debbie Downer against Gear Guard Gary's gainful engagement. I think if Rivian is to survive it must 100% focus on delivering a high quality product *every time*, or they become just another OEM and RJ's admirable goals will be lost like, uh, tears in the rain.
Sponsored