Sponsored

Are you an LE, Adventure, or Explore reservation holder?

Are you an LE, Adventure, or Explore reservation holder?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Preach on, brother. My first EV was a Model S and of course required the wife's approval. I prepared a presentation with a spreadsheet and shit. ?
My "what's a budget?" wife went all-in on day one. I pretty much had to talk her down from gold-plating the rims.
Sponsored

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
My first car had a terrible stock radio, it didn't work, and was built into the metal of the dash ('71 chevy pickup)

Ever since then, the optioned out built in stereo is a requirement, so, top line adventure for me :)

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Preach on, brother. My first EV was a Model S and of course required the wife's approval. I prepared a presentation with a spreadsheet and shit. ?
Usually at that point mine is just tired of hearing about it and although I have all the info prepared she just gives me a "Whatever you want."

OP
OP
fallen888

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Usually at that point mine is just tired of hearing about it and although I have all the info prepared she just gives me a "Whatever you want."
That exactly what ended up happening in my case! :D

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

My wife basically avoids thinking about money at all. I have to quiz her every 6 months on where our money is so she can get at it if I am hit by a bus.

As a non-car guy, the person I have to talk in to an 80k car purchase is me.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I ordered Explore because I didn’t want the power tonneau cover and didn’t care about the rest.

OP
OP
fallen888

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I ordered Explore because I didn’t want the power tonneau cover and didn’t care about the rest.
Is there anything in particular you don't like about the power tonneau? I'm still on the fence - seems like a nice option to have, but are there any drawbacks to it (vs. manual)?

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
Is there anything in particular you don't like about the power tonneau? I'm still on the fence - seems like a nice option to have, but are there any drawbacks to it (vs. manual)?
I'm excited to have it - just for ease of use, storage etc.....less excited that it's only been shown in a few vids working and mostly disabled. Have some quality concerns but hopeful they'll be addressed.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
For me it was just something I don't need. I was also thinking about cold weather and icing over. I am more comfortable with having to manually removing a panel and knowing it is stuck versus pushing a button and hoping the motor doesn't break because it gets stuck. I'm sure they have thought of that, and have safe guards in place, but just something I don't want to have to worry about. Also having had an Avalanche in the past, I am used to removing panels, it's really not that big of a deal, and these will be smaller and have an onboard place to store them. There also is likely to be a little less cargo room unless they just block off the area that the power tonneau rolls into (above the gear tunnel it seems) for the manual tonneau as well.

Really the only things in the Adventure package I wish I could get are the ventilated seats and the wood trim (but I don't really NEED either). If the Adventure package included the Off-Road Upgrade or something else for the price, I could see more value in it, but having to add that on top of it, makes me pass.

Reactions: Max

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I guess I’m at the opposite end of the spectrum. With two car guys, there is no responsible adult in our marriage to say, “No!”

We’ve bought several cars which a rational personal wouldn’t even consider but we haven’t regretted any of them yet. Actually, the Rivian is a rational choice by us given that the only other vehicle we were considering was a new Land Rover Defender.

Sponsored

wizard467

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (10/2022), Honda Ridgeline
I have a Honda Ridgeline which has the underbed lockable storage area (7.3 cubic feet) and have never felt like I was missing anything not having a tonneau cover. Everyone I know who has Dodge Rams, F150s, etc. the very first thing they do is put a tonneau cover on so they have somewhere to put stuff. With the gear tunnel and front trunk on the R1T I'm leaning towards the manual tonneau because I will probably leave it off 99% of the time. That is one less electrical thing to break and saves a ton of money being at the lower package level.

I did look at the cover when it was fully opened at the preview event and I was impressed that the mechanism didn't stick out into the bed. It was just a small lip of rubber that was visible/protruding into the bed. I was concerned if it was rigid because it would make it harder to push stuff up against the front of the bed. The picture of the truck bed on Rivian's website shows the slightly lighter gray rubber piece, its just hard to tell what it is made of and size in the picture.

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I plan to hang on to this truck for a long time. I just have a feeling a power tonneau cover is something that could be prone to failure. I can’t think of any other manufacturer who has proven this technology to be reliable over the long haul.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

This is a good question! Everyone’s talking about wood stain colors and I’m like “…..y’all got wood in your cars??” :CWL:
Ever since discovering the joy of wood trim, my wife now insists all our vehicles have it. We've been looking at upgrading our 2015 BMW i3 for a newer (used) 2019 model to get the bigger battery; and one of the big stumbling blocks is it appears that for 2019, very few i3s were sold with the trim package that included the wood dashboard. There have been plenty of lease-return-2019 i3s that - other than missing the trim - would have been good. But nope, gotta have that trim. (I do have to agree on the i3, though, the plastic dashboard looks *UGLY*.)

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

Adventure Trim neutral/whatever features:
  • Upgraded stereo
  • Compass Yellow interior accents
  • Microfiber headliner
  • Chilewich floor mats
Mostly asking because I'm too lazy to search.

What is a Chilewich, and why would I want one?
Sponsored