Sponsored

Are you also replacing your spare tire when you change to winter tires?

What do you do with your current spare wheel/tire set up if you own 20" winter and 22" AS?

• Sell the 20" AT spare and use either set while fixing the flat

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
I've just mounted a set of (4) 275/60R20 XL Hankook I*Pike X on my truck to replace the OEM 20" AT tires and was undecided about what to do with my spare 20" AT. My plan is to run this set up for the four winter months and then switch out to my 22" Sport Dark. My winter set up is now the same size diameter as my 22" sport Dark, smaller than the AT. What do you all do in this situation? I don't imagine owning both a spare 20" and a spare 22".

My two options are -

1. Keep the 20" AT spare wheel and mount a fifth winter tire on it since winter tire replacement tend to be hard to find in the middle of winter.

2. Sell the 20" AT spare. In case of a flat, fix it or use either winter/AS as a temp while acquiring a new replacement. There is risk involved in winter.

Can anyone think of any other good options?
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
If you’re only using the 20” wheels for winter, may as well put another winter tire on the spare wheel. Then you have a spare that will work with your summer wheels or winter wheels.

sell the tire or stick it in your garage/basement/shed. Tires can be handy things to have around.

you didn’t say if you have a spare 22” wheel/tire. If you do, sell the complete spare 20” AT wheel/tire assembly.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Yeah not enough options in the poll. I have 21s, will prolly get 20” snows but not planning on getting a 20” spare.

OP
OP
windblowlc

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
If you’re only using the 20” wheels for winter, may as well put another winter tire on the spare wheel. Then you have a spare that will work with your summer wheels or winter wheels.

sell the tire or stick it in your garage/basement/shed. Tires can be handy things to have around.

you didn’t say if you have a spare 22” wheel/tire. If you do, sell the complete spare 20” AT wheel/tire assembly.
Thanks for the good suggestion. I will be using the 20" for winter only. I don't have the spare 22". Was thinking of using one of the 4 the existing 20" winter as a spare for when I use the 22". The 5th 20" spare would be nice staying in the compartment full time and not needing to come out whenever I change set up.

OP
OP
windblowlc

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yeah not enough options in the poll. I have 21s, will prolly get 20” snows but not planning on getting a 20” spare.
Sorry, didn't think about the 21" since I don't have them.

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

No worries, just thinking that you might get a lot of different perspectives on your broader OP title. :)

OP
OP
windblowlc

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
No worries, just thinking that you might get a lot of different perspectives on your broader OP title. :)
The broader title can still apply in terms of spare winter tire, whether you own 21" or not. 21" is not a winter option for many reasons, so it's either 20" or 22" for winter. IMO, 20" is much better for winter - they're cheaper, resist potholes better, and easier to find, where as the 22" are sportier and better used for the 3 seasons other than winter. For these reasons, I include options for the 20" winter only.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Thanks for the good suggestion. I will be using the 20" for winter only. I don't have the spare 22". Was thinking of using one of the 4 the existing 20" winter as a spare for when I use the 22". The 5th 20" spare would be nice staying in the compartment full time and not needing to come out whenever I change set up.
Spare 20" winter is also useful as you get more miles before having to replace your winter tires(presuming you rotate the spare through, which is good practice with a full size spare.)

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
+1

Received my R1T with 21’s in June but opted to purchase the 20’s when winter weather rolled in. Glad I did since I live in a hilly part of town. Didn’t bother with spares for either the 21’s or the 20’s since I’m only using my truck for local travel.

If the CCS network ever becomes reliable enough for long distance trips then I’ll purchase a spare.

OP
OP
windblowlc

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Spare 20" winter is also useful as you get more miles before having to replace your winter tires(presuming you rotate the spare through, which is good practice with a full size spare.)
I won't be rotating the spare, not looking forward to moving it in/out of the spare tire compartment and moving it around. If I do that, I would use the existing 20/22 as a spare and not get a 5th spare of either.

Sponsored

OP
OP
windblowlc

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
...If the CCS network ever becomes reliable enough for long distance trips then I’ll purchase a spare.
The RIVIAN is fine on long distance travel after you get over the initial range fear. The CCS network should improve with time but it's adequate now for much of the longer trips.

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
The RIVIAN is fine on long distance travel after you get over the initial range fear.
I’ve owned and been driving EV’s since 2014 so range anxiety is not the issue. The issue is the various CCS networks are too unreliable. I know this from firsthand experience.

OP
OP
windblowlc

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I’ve owned and been driving EV’s since 2014 so range anxiety is not the issue. The issue is the various CCS networks are too unreliable. I know this from firsthand experience.
Do you use PlugShare at all to do research and plan your travel?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'd just keep the AT tire on it and use it as a spare for either. The ATs are 3 peak so should be enough to get you out of a jam. I'm not sure how the Rivian will tolerate the mismatched tire speeds but it probably doesn't matter, given the R1S spare is much smaller.

If you do replace it with a winter, you can still use the winter tire in the situation where you need a spare in the summer, it'll just wear faster than a normal tire would.

OP
OP
windblowlc

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I'd just keep the AT tire on it and use it as a spare for either. The ATs are 3 peak so should be enough to get you out of a jam. I'm not sure how the Rivian will tolerate the mismatched tire speeds but it probably doesn't matter, given the R1S spare is much smaller.

If you do replace it with a winter, you can still use the winter tire in the situation where you need a spare in the summer, it'll just wear faster than a normal tire would.
It doesn't make good sense to just keep a single spare AT tire with a mismatch diameter if I'm selling the unmounted 20" AT tires. Better for me to get the extra spare winter tire since it's only $200.
Sponsored