First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Occupation
Nurse
I have a bronco on 35s and it's pretty much the same size except the rivian is longer so I'm good
Sponsored

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
What I am worried about is with all the new BEVs coming out that are putting all this acceleration and torque and massively heavy cars in the hands of *gestures broadly at all drivers*
A bit off-topic, but I had this same thought after my first ride in a Model 3 Performance - how is this legal? And for this kind of money? Though, I had the same thoughts about a Ducati I owned too.

On size, if the OPā€™s frame of reference is a Z4, then the R1S is huge. In relative terms, it fits in the middle of ā€œbiggerā€, but not ā€œland yachtā€.

I also think vehicle dynamics are worth considering. Active dampers, adjustable ride height, low center of gravity - these are all things that will make the R1S feel like a much smaller vehicle. Itā€™s not going to be a Z4, but it should also be far from a lumbering mass.

HTownB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
I realize that I'm talking to a forum full of enthusiasts, but is anyone pretty worried about the size? Haven't had a chance to test drive the R1S yet but I harken back to a short road trip I drove in a family member's QX80 and that thing was a UNIT. Filled up the whole lane, had a lot of mass lumbering around, etc etc. What have people's test drive impressions been? If I had a pretty negative experience with the QX80 is the R1S just going to be more of the same since it's _even wider_? All of my daily drivers (Chevy Volt, BMW Z4, Model 3) have been pretty small so perhaps 'ya just get used to it'.

Cheers
Iā€™m from Texas so Iā€™m worried itā€™s too small. :CWL:

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
On size, if the OPā€™s frame of reference is a Z4, then the R1S is huge. In relative terms, it fits in the middle of ā€œbiggerā€, but not ā€œland yachtā€.
Yes, it's definitely frame of reference. Having owned Suburbans, I personally think the R1S is close to "right size" for it's target market. If OP thinks it's too large on the highway, that's their perspective, and you have to decide if you can adjust to it, or wait for the R2D2 or whatever the next generation of smaller Rivians will be called.

From my perspective, I grew up in a family owned construction company and drove dump trucks as a teen. I still drive large trucks on occasion, one of my companies has an 18 foot Isuzu NPR box truck (overall length about 24 feet), and sometimes we need to rent a 26 foot Penske - nobody else will drive it, so I do it. That truck is about 32 feet long. I'm very comfortable driving these trucks, wanna talk about filling the lane, lol? When I get back into my Avalanche, it feels tiny.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I went and looked it up. The QX80 is 79.9 inches without mirrors. The R1S is 81.8" with the mirrors folded. A Ford Explorer is 78.9 inches, excluding the mirrors. So yea, the R1S is a pretty big puppy.

But size is relative. A Chevy Tahoe is 81" without mirrors but it longer. My old Ford Raptor was 86.6" without the mirrors.

Believe me when I say, you can get used to the size. My wife is a tiny little Japanese lady that grew up riding in tiny cars. She had no problem driving my Raptor and currently drives a Jeep Wrangler than has a 3.5" lift and 37" tires. The hardest part of living with my Raptor was putting it into the garage. I had less than 3" of clearance on each side. It only took me a week to get used to backing it into the garage.

The R1S is a big boy, but anyone can comfortably handle it.

Sponsored

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Strongly considering swapping my reservation from T to S; wanna trade?
Unfortunately with a large family, I am in a bind and can't take a T. Even though I drove the T and I love it!

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
Ford Explorer: 199ā€³ L x 79ā€³ W x 70ā€³ H
Rivian R1S: 201" L x 82" W x 77" H (max suspension)

So 2 inches wider and 3 inches longer than one of the most popular 3 row SUVs isn't a deal breaker. Sure, would it have been great if they could've been a couple inches more narrow or shorter, yeah. But, extra inches mean more leg room, and more shoulder room. It's not a bad thing IMO.

I have a narrow driveway, which is problematic, but I mean, these things can park themselves right? :CWL:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I really like the size of my 2 door Wrangler, I would love for Rivian to do something in that size range. Unfortunately based on sales of 2 door vs 4 door Wranglers (and probably Broncos also), I doubt Rivian will make something that size (I can always hope).

Overall, I think I would prefer something smaller than the R1T/R1S also, but unfortunately that isn't what Rivian is offering right now. So I will make do with a R1T for now. I would guess I would buy a smaller version of a R1S if they offered it (maybe what Georgia will build).

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I went and looked it up. The QX80 is 79.9 inches without mirrors. The R1S is 81.8" with the mirrors folded. A Ford Explorer is 78.9 inches, excluding the mirrors. So yea, the R1S is a pretty big puppy.
I really want to see one in-person and drive it. I like larger vehicles... But the pictures I've seen of people driving R1Ts make them look WAY smaller than a full size truck.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I really want to see one in-person and drive it. I like larger vehicles... But the pictures I've seen of people driving R1Ts make them look WAY smaller than a full size truck.
It is smaller. Mostly in length. I also think that the lowest setting of the air suspension makes it look smaller. Just compare the dimesions with an F150 and then a Ford Ranger. You'll see that it slots in between them.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
all cars/trucks are bigger now. A hinds civic is the same soze as an accord from a few generations ago, for example.

My Land Rover is barely bigger in terms of length/width than my Ford Focus.

OP
OP
messinator

messinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Tech bro
A bit off-topic, but I had this same thought after my first ride in a Model 3 Performance - how is this legal? And for this kind of money? Though, I had the same thoughts about a Ducati I owned too.

I also think vehicle dynamics are worth considering. Active dampers, adjustable ride height, low center of gravity - these are all things that will make the R1S feel like a much smaller vehicle. Itā€™s not going to be a Z4, but it should also be far from a lumbering mass.
Actually, I shouldā€™ve made this a bit clearer but Iā€™d really like some references from people who have driven it - does it drive true to size? Does the EV HP & 4 motor braking fool you on the weights? Turning radius? Etc. Particularly the low center of gravity may be a huge game changer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
messinator

messinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Tech bro
Yes, it's definitely frame of reference. Having owned Suburbans, I personally think the R1S is close to "right size" for it's target market. If OP thinks it's too large on the highway, that's their perspective, and you have to decide if you can adjust to it, or wait for the R2D2 or whatever the next generation of smaller Rivians will be called.

From my perspective, I grew up in a family owned construction company and drove dump trucks as a teen. I still drive large trucks on occasion, one of my companies has an 18 foot Isuzu NPR box truck (overall length about 24 feet), and sometimes we need to rent a 26 foot Penske - nobody else will drive it, so I do it. That truck is about 32 feet long. I'm very comfortable driving these trucks, wanna talk about filling the lane, lol? When I get back into my Avalanche, it feels tiny.
Yeah totally. Iā€™m the appointed rental truck driver on moving day and can handle it fine but navigating the double-parked streets of Seattle is still more mental capacity than Iā€™d care for. Maybe I just ā€œget used to itā€ on the r1. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It is smaller. Mostly in length. I also think that the lowest setting of the air suspension makes it look smaller. Just compare the dimesions with an F150 and then a Ford Ranger. You'll see that it slots in between them.
I was referring to the interior, which seems much more narrow. Compact/midsize suv small ā€” not full-size truck big.

Chris S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Model 3 Perf, '19 MX-5 Club, '22 Model Y Perf
Occupation
REALTOR
Yeah, the R1T is less of an issue as a truck but the R1S is huge.
The R1S is smaller than the R1T. An R1T would actually fit my needs better, but it won't fit in my garage. I also have some concerns about long-term reliability and durability of the powered tonneau cover and tunnel doors.

Strongly considering swapping my reservation from T to S; wanna trade?
FYI, you can easily log into your account and change your reservation from a T to an S or vice versa. No need to swap reservations. I've changed probably 10 times by now.

Iā€™m from Texas so Iā€™m worried itā€™s too small. :CWL:
I'm from Texas and have no need for a Texas-sized vehicle! Even Texas has tight trails that don't care what state you're in.
Sponsored