Are these cars just too damn big?

messinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Tech bro
I realize that I'm talking to a forum full of enthusiasts, but is anyone pretty worried about the size? Haven't had a chance to test drive the R1S yet but I harken back to a short road trip I drove in a family member's QX80 and that thing was a UNIT. Filled up the whole lane, had a lot of mass lumbering around, etc etc. What have people's test drive impressions been? If I had a pretty negative experience with the QX80 is the R1S just going to be more of the same since it's _even wider_? All of my daily drivers (Chevy Volt, BMW Z4, Model 3) have been pretty small so perhaps 'ya just get used to it'.

Cheers
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I realize that I'm talking to a forum full of enthusiasts, but is anyone pretty worried about the size? Haven't had a chance to test drive the R1S yet but I harken back to a short road trip I drove in a family member's QX80 and that thing was a UNIT. Filled up the whole lane, had a lot of mass lumbering around, etc etc. What have people's test drive impressions been? If I had a pretty negative experience with the QX80 is the R1S just going to be more of the same since it's _even wider_? All of my daily drivers (Chevy Volt, BMW Z4, Model 3) have been pretty small so perhaps 'ya just get used to it'.

Cheers
It's smaller than the trucks and SUVs I have been driving for years. I'm concerned about it being to small.....

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Yeah, the R1T is less of an issue as a truck but the R1S is huge. I wouldn't be surprised if people see/drive it and go for one of the eight hundred 5 seat SUV options coming out instead.

The width especially is a big ouchie. Very wide cars.

There's certainly a niche for big suvs but there is also a reason compact suvs are the rage with mid sized suvs getting large family duty.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I've had a reservation for R1S for 2 years, and I was always concerned with length as my garage setup dictates the car to not be longer than 200, so the R1S is pushing it especially that it is very high and not really sleek at the front.

But, you just made me think about the width and I am actually afraid to check lol I might have to actually cancel since I have a Van on the other side, and I have to leave enough room to ensure that "other" driver in the house does not obliterate both cars.

OP
OP
messinator

messinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Tech bro
It's smaller than the trucks and SUVs I have been driving for years. I'm concerned about it being to small.....
Was expecting this reply. Were I back home in West Virginia I'd have one of the smallest trucks around..

Yeah, the R1T is less of an issue as a truck but the R1S is huge. I wouldn't be surprised if people see/drive it and go for one of the eight hundred 5 seat SUV options coming out instead.

The width especially is a big ouchie. Very wide cars.

There's certainly a niche for big suvs but there is also a reason compact suvs are the rage with mid sized suvs getting large family duty.
Agree. Not sure that I've seen any particularly attractive alternatives in the 5 seater dept compared to Rivian though.. Most have sub 250mi range, and the MY interior is so meh. Plus trading in my LR FSD M3 for a slightly different, worse looking egg sounds like a lot of taxes for not much gain.

Sponsored

simmoac

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GMC Sierra, 2021 BMW X3
Occupation
Accountant
I've had a reservation for R1S for 2 years, and I was always concerned with length as my garage setup dictates the car to not be longer than 200, so the R1S is pushing it especially that it is very high and not really sleek at the front.

But, you just made me think about the width and I am actually afraid to check lol I might have to actually cancel since I have a Van on the other side, and I have to leave enough room to ensure that "other" driver in the house does not obliterate both cars.
Strongly considering swapping my reservation from T to S; wanna trade?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
This is a bizarre complaint.

They are trucks. If you don't need a truck, don't buy one. They are the least efficient EV vehicles you can buy.

I need to pull a horse trailer and move heavy objects in the bed. That's why I'm getting one.Otherwise I'd be buying any number of EV cars.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I would have liked the R1T to be a bit shorter lengthwise personally. I dont need perfectly comfortable room in the backseat, that's where you put the friends who never chipped in for gas money on that road trip in 2007 (that means you, Kevin). And really it just could have been a bit smaller overall for my personal use case but I think it will be ok regardless.

I'm sure Rivian will be releasing a compact SUV/crossover in the future -- it's too popular of a form factor. They can easily siphon many of the Subaru outdoorsy types especially considering how late and half-assed Subaru and others have been about making the transition to EVs.

What I am worried about is with all the new BEVs coming out that are putting all this acceleration and torque and massively heavy cars in the hands of *gestures broadly at all drivers*

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Was expecting this reply. Were I back home in West Virginia I'd have one of the smallest trucks around..

Agree. Not sure that I've seen any particularly attractive alternatives in the 5 seater dept compared to Rivian though.. Most have sub 250mi range, and the MY interior is so meh. Plus trading in my LR FSD M3 for a slightly different, worse looking egg sounds like a lot of taxes for not much gain.
The new BMW? Or a Lyriq?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
What I am worried about is putting all this acceleration and torque and massively heavy cars in the hands of *gestures broadly at all drivers*
You should probably let GM know about this concern. ?

It's going to be a tight squeeze in our driveway with an XC60 and the R1T.

Sponsored

OP
OP
messinator

messinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Tech bro
This is a bizarre complaint.

They are trucks. If you don't need a truck, don't buy one. They are the least efficient EV vehicles you can buy.

I need to pull a horse trailer and move heavy objects in the bed. That's why I'm getting one.Otherwise I'd be buying any number of EV cars.
I can't tell if you're referring to the R1S as a truck or if you didn't read my post. Regardless there are a lot of other reasons that the Rivian is the most attractive option out there for me. Just looking for experiences.

I would have liked the R1T to be a bit shorter lengthwise personally. I dont need perfectly comfortable room in the backseat, that's where you put the friends who never chipped in for gas money on that road trip in 2007 (that means you, Kevin). And really it just could have been a bit smaller overall for my personal use case but I think it will be ok regardless.

I'm sure Rivian will be releasing a compact SUV/crossover in the future -- it's too popular of a form factor. They can easily siphon many of the Subaru outdoorsy types especially considering how late and half-assed Subaru and others have been about making the transition to EVs.

What I am worried about is putting all this acceleration and torque and massively heavy cars in the hands of *gestures broadly at all drivers*
Lol. Definitely agree on the opportunity for a compact crossover, I'd expect that to pump out of the Georgia facility but probably not until 2025 or 2070.

The new BMW? Or a Lyriq?
Both are attractive, but my main use case is something to beat to shit on ski/backpacking trips. The iX is interesting but my experience with bimmers is recurring expensive dealership trips.

The Fisker Ocean catches my eye, but pretty low on details I think. Uncle had the Karma and was pretty SOL when the company vaporized though :p

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I do think the R1S may be living in an awkward middle ground.

If you are not going to have more than 4 passengers and dont haul large cargo, you probably would be better off with a smaller vehicle. But if you plan to have all 3 rows of seats occupied most of the time or frequently haul large cargo you are likely to wish it was bigger.

If I were designing the R1S, I would have subtracted a foot for the 5-seat version and added a foot (relative to the current spec) to the 7 seat version.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Both are attractive, but my main use case is something to beat to shit on ski/backpacking trips. The iX is interesting but my experience with bimmers is recurring expensive dealership trips.
It's going to be interesting to see what the larger SUV that Kia puts out ends up looking like.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I can't tell if you're referring to the R1S as a truck or if you didn't read my post. Regardless there are a lot of other reasons that the Rivian is the most attractive option out there for me. Just looking for experiences.
I read your post. You ordered a truck that's 2 inches wider than an QX80 which you thought was too big. It's essentially the same size as a Chevy Tahoe. Just slightly shorter.

Rent a Chevy Tahoe on Turo and drive it around for the day. See if the size feels good and then imagine an EV version of that and you have the car you ordered.

pcrampton

First Name
Perrine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90
Occupation
Manager
I want a TALL SUV - the R1S fits my preference. It is a bit long - almost too long for my garage.

I also need a large back luggage area for my dog crates and groceries. I like to keep the crates 'installed' and still need room for other stuff; like food. :)
Sponsored