Sponsored

Are 2023 deliveries counted as 2023 "model year"?

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

This is really two questions -

I assume the answer is yes but I don't know if Rivian has ever confirmed it, but does anyone know if Rivian is doing continuous integration of features similar to Tesla where any given vehicle - say a Model 3 - might look very different from a hardware/engineering standpoint from the beginning of a year to the end of a year?

Basically as soon as a problem is solved or a better way to do X is found, it gets integrated into the line and all vehicles form that point contain the "new" design/hardware/chips/whatever - despite the "model year" not incrementing. Basically any given tesla could be unique from any similar Tesla over some set time period.

So... is Rivian doing this? I assume yes as this feels like a very modern manufacturing philosophy, but can we confirm?

Which leads to question 2 - All current R1's are listed as 2022 model year. If I take delivery of my R1S in 2023 (as is planned) will I get a "2023" model? How do model years even work when you build in the way stated above? I assume you need a model year for things like titles and such built around "traditional " automakers but what do these things even mean in a modern continuous process as above?
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Like Tesla, you just set a hard year changeover date.
My Model Y was built sometime in Sept 2020. I took delivery in Nov 2020- the window sticker, title, etc.. all had it listed as a 2021 model year vehicle.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This is really two questions -

I assume the answer is yes but I don't know if Rivian has ever confirmed it, but does anyone know if Rivian is doing continuous integration of features similar to Tesla where any given vehicle - say a Model 3 - might look very different from a hardware/engineering standpoint from the beginning of a year to the end of a year?

Basically as soon as a problem is solved or a better way to do X is found, it gets integrated into the line and all vehicles form that point contain the "new" design/hardware/chips/whatever - despite the "model year" not incrementing. Basically any given tesla could be unique from any similar Tesla over some set time period.

So... is Rivian doing this? I assume yes as this feels like a very modern manufacturing philosophy, but can we confirm?

Which leads to question 2 - All current R1's are listed as 2022 model year. If I take delivery of my R1S in 2023 (as is planned) will I get a "2023" model? How do model years even work when you build in the way stated above? I assume you need a model year for things like titles and such built around "traditional " automakers but what do these things even mean in a modern continuous process as above?
Legally, the latest a 2022 model car can be built is on 12/31/2022. Legally, the earliest a 2023 model car could be built was 01/01/2022. Rivian will probably switch model years sometime in the Fall, but they don't have to until the first vehicle starts next year.
Sponsored