Sponsored

Apple CarPlay and Android for R1T / R1S?

bgreenstone

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Aston Martin Vanquish & DBX
For me the lack of wireless Apple CarPlay is a complete deal breaker. I won't buy *any* car without this feature for one simple reason: Waze.
Sponsored

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

Honestly Apple should be offering to pay car manufacturers to include CarPlay in their vehicles. The data they get to collect is worth a fortune.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Honestly Apple should be offering to pay car manufacturers to include CarPlay in their vehicles. The data they get to collect is worth a fortune.
This isnā€™t how Apple operates. Theyā€™re all about end user privacy. Automakers include CarPlay because customers want it. There are costs associated with integrating it, even though Apple doesnā€™t charge for CarPlay.

Rivian deciding to now support Apple CarPlay or Android tips their hand that they want drivers to use their own system. Weā€™ll see if they eventually bend to industry pressure and add it.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Correction on the post from @virgnia_rivian ...

"Rivian deciding to not support..."

That one letter typo made me excited for a little - "Wait, what? When did that happen?" - before reality came crashing down once again
thanks! Itā€™s my iPadā€˜s autocorrect trying to change Rivianā€™s decision.

Sponsored

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

For me the lack of wireless Apple CarPlay is a complete deal breaker. I won't buy *any* car without this feature for one simple reason: Waze.
As long as youā€™re okay with Waze syphoning all of your personal data on your phone and share your driving data with insurance companies and suchā€¦ then why not.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
As long as youā€™re okay with Waze syphoning all of your personal data on your phone and share your driving data with insurance companies and suchā€¦ then why not.
And you think Rivian isnā€™t doing that? they definitely are.

bgreenstone

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Aston Martin Vanquish & DBX
No, I don't care. I use their services for free, and it's a great service, so they're entitled to something and it's no trouble for me.

JakiChan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Honda Ridgeline, 2018 Porsche Cayman 718 S
Apps for charging don't pre-condition the battery when you've routed to a charging station. NAV really is a different beast in an EV, and I use the native exclusively even though I have the option of CP because it's just better for a variety of reasons.
Yes, and no. I'm only going to speak about what I've had experience with, which is Tesla, but even when they control the car, the UI, and the charging network it's kinda lame and hard to work with. There's a reason ABRP exists. My standard long range trip is San Jose to Palm Springs, and I pretty much have some stops locked in. I'm stopping at Harris Ranch for lunch, etc. ABRP makes that easy. I'd settle for a "send to car" option, I suppose.

It gets back to having options until this all gets better. My thought all along about the issues of EV navigation are that it would be better if the DOT mandated an open API for charge stations that the car makers could just use, but that's hoping for too much.

I pay more for much less with Audi. I pay about $700/year for what amounts to just data services.
Wow, really? I pay about $200 through Porsche. Admittedly, the PCM 4.0 system is older and doesn't offer that much.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I gotta ask, "What does Rivian get from enabling CP/AA?"

A couple extra car sales? How does that compare with an E2E solution in which they have full control over the data, capabilities, and integration with the hardware (and software) in the vehicle to create a better, more immersive and fluid experience?

Do they have to pay for hardware or licenses to enable this feature that may or may not be used by the user? Is that cost deferred as part of the subscription, or, as a Start Up trying to make a profit, do they eat it?

And I saw a comment about Alexa integration and how it doesn't compete with CP/AA... to which I have to respond "Yet". More and more cars are starting to sport Alexa natively/have it baked into the systems.

If the lack of CP/AA is a deal breaker, it is. We all have our lines in the sand, for some, its range, for others, its physical controls, for others, it seems to be CP/AA. To each their own, but given the pace at which OTA's can occur, I'd think long and hard about walking away from a reservation on a truck that would put you 3-4 years out if you want to jump back on the bandwagon, for something that could be added next month...

Physical issues I can see cancelling over (size, range, comfort, towing capabilities, cargo room, etc...) you can't really change those, software though... that can change in a heartbeat.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

No one has really articulated how they conflict even from a business standpoint. If this was the case Amazon would not make their apps and services available on Apple or Google platforms at all, yet they do. They even went out of their way recently to release a native macOS app for Prime Video, something not even Netflix has done. If they wanted to dominate streaming music they wouldn't allow Apple Music to integrate and be the default option on Echo devices, yet they do. Eero routers are owned by Amazon. They are one of the few routers that supports Apple HomeKit security natively. Amazon now has their own Fire TVs. They support AirPlay 2 and HomeKit. Amazon is not even remotely hostile towards Apple.

Also, Bezos doesn't own 20% of Rivian -- Amazon does. But even if he did what kind of phone do you think he uses? It's not a 2014 Amazon Fire phone, I can guarantee you that. He has no issue picking his battles. Space race, AI, web services, retail, and smart assistants. I'd be willing to bet significant money Bezos hasn't said a word either way about CP/AA in Rivian vehicles.
Agreed. And if Bezos did have any issue, it would be with Elonā€™s companies. Iā€™d say that adding CP/AA support would be a good differentiator from Tesla.

For now, Iā€™ll just figure out some sort of phone/tablet mounting solution.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
A couple extra car sales? How does that compare with an E2E solution in which they have full control over the data, capabilities, and integration with the hardware (and software) in the vehicle to create a better, more immersive and fluid experience?
This fallacy keeps getting thrown around, but there has been zero evidence to support it as possibly being true. Thus far, all Rivian has demonstrated is a LACK of features that are expected and basically standard everywhere else AND they've refused to make any commitment that the features are coming at some point in the future. In fact, there have been vague claims of "doing things differently" or "being better" and yet they seem to be mirroring many of the bad decisions of Tesla.

If Rivian actually built something better, then fine. They have not done that.
If Rivian would at least commit to building something better, then okay; but they they won't even do this.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I gotta ask, "What does Rivian get from enabling CP/AA?"

Do they have to pay for hardware or licenses to enable this feature that may or may not be used by the user? Is that cost deferred as part of the subscription, or, as a Start Up trying to make a profit, do they eat it?

And I saw a comment about Alexa integration and how it doesn't compete with CP/AA... to which I have to respond "Yet". More and more cars are starting to sport Alexa natively/have it baked into the systems.

If the lack of CP/AA is a deal breaker, it is. We all have our lines in the sand, for some, its range, for others, its physical controls, for others, it seems to be CP/AA. To each their own, but given the pace at which OTA's can occur, I'd think long and hard about walking away from a reservation on a truck that would put you 3-4 years out if you want to jump back on the bandwagon, for something that could be added next month...

Physical issues I can see cancelling over (size, range, comfort, towing capabilities, cargo room, etc...) you can't really change those, software though... that can change in a heartbeat.
I think right now they have nothing to loose by not offering CP/AA. I think the issue comes potentially later. Imagine 3-4 years from now when there are 3-4 other EV trucks on the market and countless other EV SUVs on the market.

At that point not including something that clearly a lot of people do care about, you know because for a lot of people our phones is the center of our universe, that could be a differentiating factor.

Iā€™m not going to speak for anybody else but when I car shop I look at all the features I want/need and then choose a vehicle I like that best fits those needs. Right now the R1T is our only option for a ā€˜mid-sizeā€™ EV truck.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

there has been zero evidence to support it as possibly being true. Thus far, all Rivian has demonstrated is a LACK of features that are expected and basically standard everywhere else AND they've refused to make any commitment that the features are coming at some point in the future.
This^^

I work with our software development team and we have an E2E system for our business and it is both great and awful.
Great, we have full customization and can do whatever we want! We are unique in our industry with this and it CAN give us a competitive advantage.
Oh, we have to develop that process from scratch? Not so great as we have a million and one other things to also do so we need to prioritize new features vs maintaining a fully customized system.

Lack of CP/AA isn't a deal breaker for me but assuming an E2E system is better, especially from a brand new company, is laughable and I see no value in E2E for Rivian for 5yrs at best.
Tweaking and rewriting many basic systems that are there or should already be there will be prioritized/required over the next 1-3yrs.
Major software improvements/features that are differentiators won't be happening for 2-4yrs because of my previous point.
5yrs at best before people see their E2E software as a benefit/competitive advantage and ONLY IF they actually do a good job of its development.

Time will tell, but a bit of communication and a software roadmap would really help IMO

Obioban

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e46 M3, e39 M5, e46 M3 converted wagon, i3, e60 M5
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I would not have my drivers license without Waze. :rolleyes:
Sponsored