Sponsored

Apple CarPlay and Android for R1T / R1S?

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
I dunno, apparently I’m in the minority that believes that CarPlay and android auto shouldn’t compete or replace infotainment systems. It should just be an addition to the existing platform so that developers have easy access to get their apps into your car without having to develop a whole new app and learn a whole new development process for whatever platform of car it is. I just don’t think they should be competing with another, they should compliment one another.
I agree with this. I would be fine if they just provided apple music & left everything else Stock Rivian.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I agree with this. I would be fine if they just provided apple music & left everything else Stock Rivian.
I don’t typically use absolutes like,”never,” because I try to be honest and accurate in what I say and write. Rivian will never be able to support whatever the useful-in-a-car app du jour is that smartphones support in what most folks consider to be a reasonable amount of time. The smartphone developer community has what I suspect are many orders of magnitude more resources than Rivian does today and probably ever will.

Either Rivian will waste resources trying to reinvent the wheel via native apps in their own infotainment or they simply won’t support those apps and try to convince us that their way is better. To people who have a killer app they depend on in their car, Rivian is highly unlikely to convince us that we don’t need what we have determined we do. Worse, to try to convince someone that you know their needs better than they do can come across as arrogant to some folks. Especially when the fix is so easy: do what every other manufacturer except one does and provide screen projection, even if in a window wrapped by the native UI.

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
I don’t typically use absolutes like,”never,” because I try to be honest and accurate in what I say and write. Rivian will never be able to support whatever the useful-in-a-car app du jour is that smartphones support in what most folks consider to be a reasonable amount of time. The smartphone developer community has what I suspect are many orders of magnitude more resources than Rivian does today and probably ever will.

Either Rivian will waste resources trying to reinvent the wheel via native apps in their own infotainment or they simply won’t support those apps and try to convince us that their way is better. To people who have a killer app they depend on in their car, Rivian is highly unlikely to convince us that we don’t need what we have determined we do. Worse, to try to convince someone that you know their needs better than they do can come across as arrogant to some folks. Especially when the fix is so easy: do what every other manufacturer except one does and provide screen projection, even if in a window wrapped by the native UI.
i agree in general with this.....I would say that Apple music is a little more than the current car app du jour. I'm a little tired today - but am thinking we're saying that doing this shouldnt be that complicated.
Sponsored