R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
why would Rivian do something its customers want?

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Now that I have the R1T, I'm even more against it having Car Play. If I wanted this future version of Car Play, I'd buy an increasingly commoditized product from one of the makers on the list in the article that are buying in to it as a way to say they have no interest in software development of their own. The end of that road leads to a bunch of Apple cars that utilize Ford/Honda/etc. mechanicals, losing any connection they have with the customer along the way. This was inevitable, Apple is now taking over the entire user experience in a comprehensive way, and the helpless legacy auto makers are lemmings going over a cliff. It puts them on a path to merely being a supplier in the industry (drivetrains and bodies), while Apple provides the most valuable part.

The more makers that sign up for this version of Car Play, the better it is for Rivian and Tesla, because they will attract the rest of the market that doesn't want an Apple Car that 75% of the rest of the world drives.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Now that I have the R1T, I'm even more against it having Car Play. If I wanted this future version of Car Play, I'd buy an increasingly commoditized product from one of the makers on the list in the article that are buying in to it as a way to say they have no interest in software development of their own. The end of that road leads to a bunch of Apple cars that utilize Ford/Honda/etc. mechanicals, losing any connection they have with the customer along the way. This was inevitable, Apple is now taking over the entire user experience in a comprehensive way, and the helpless legacy auto makers are lemmings going over a cliff. It puts them on a path to merely being a supplier in the industry (drivetrains and bodies), while Apple provides the most valuable part.

The more makers that sign up for this version of Car Play, the better it is for Rivian and Tesla, because they will attract the rest of the market that doesn't want an Apple Car that 75% of the rest of the world drives.
Most people don't grok that what happened in cell phones and TVs can also happen in cars. The hardware is further commoditized and the bulk of the revenue, profitable margins, and valuable data flows to Google and Apple. Tesla gets it, which is why they've bucked the trend and built a moat. Rivian gets is too but it won't stop people from complaining. The worse the software from Rivian, the louder the complaints. Clock is ticking for good software...

Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

It bears repeating, once again, that if you don’t like CarPlay you don’t have to use it. Rivian adopting CarPlay is fine so long as they continue to properly develop their own software as well.

And for anyone who doesn’t want to use CarPlay in other brands, they can just…not use CarPlay. Our Bronco has it but we can also use the standard Ford software. People who don’t want CarPlay aren’t necessarily going to flock to brands that specifically don’t offer it.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
Add it and let the people decide. Or make it an option like earlier BMW's. If you wanted CarPlay you'd pay a one-time $400 audio connectivity fee (at least that's what they used to call it in Canada) - my wife hated paying that fee but it was one time and it gave her the ability to use CarPlay which is important to her. I'd pay an additional fee so that I can use Waze/Apple Music but it has to be reasonable - not sure what Apple licenses it for.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
It bears repeating, once again, that if you don’t like CarPlay you don’t have to use it. Rivian adopting CarPlay is fine so long as they continue to properly develop their own software as well.

And for anyone who doesn’t want to use CarPlay in other brands, they can just…not use CarPlay. Our Bronco has it but we can also use the standard Ford software. People who don’t want CarPlay aren’t necessarily going to flock to brands that specifically don’t offer it.
I hear that argument and it has some merit in the current world of Car Play, but this new advance of Car Play just makes it even more clear that there will no longer be a way to "turn it off", because Ford, Honda, etc. will no longer develop their own system. Why would they when Car Play now covers every screen/interface in the vehicle and is tied into and provides all available information. What reason would there be to switch it off? It would be like running a virtual machine on your Mac with DOS just to see what it was like for people in the 1990's....

An automaker that signs up for this version of Car Play is saying we do not believe it is our core competency and we cannot compete, so we are outsourcing our entire UI/UX. I'm wiling to bet that Apple tracked data and walked into the board rooms of every one of them and showed them that 90% of their customers had Car Play on the screen at least 90% of the time. They left the room, and the board pulled up the payroll and expenses for their "software" team, and the decision was clear.

If it wasn't clear already, it's crystal clear now, there are two distinct paths for the auto industry long term in terms of UI/UX. In house or outsourced.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I hear that argument and it has some merit in the current world of Car Play, but this new advance of Car Play just makes it even more clear that there will no longer be a way to "turn it off", because Ford, Honda, etc. will no longer develop their own system. Why would they when Car Play now covers every screen/interface in the vehicle and is tied into and provides all available information. What reason would there be to switch it off? It would be like running a virtual machine on your Mac with DOS just to see what it was like for people in the 1990's....

An automaker that signs up for this version of Car Play is saying we do not believe it is our core competency and we cannot compete, so we are outsourcing our entire UI/UX. I'm wiling to bet that Apple tracked data and walked into the board rooms of every one of them and showed them that 90% of their customers had Car Play on the screen at least 90% of the time. They left the room, and the board pulled up the payroll and expenses for their "software" team, and the decision was clear.

If it wasn't clear already, it's crystal clear now, there are two distinct paths for the auto industry long term in terms of UI/UX. In house or outsourced.
If a car maker completely outsourced the UI to Apple then all people who buy that car now have to own an IPhone? It will just be like current cars, they have a native UI with certain features and offer CP/AA with other possible features. All the new version will do is offer display of additional data sources from the car just like my Pioneer Radio could do in my 2018 dodge van or thousands of other car models.

Rivian doesn’t need to add CP/AA but they need to do several things if they want to compete with cars that do:

1. Improved map data, traffic, POIs
2. Text messaging support for common phones
3. More choices for lossless digital music, ie any offline source

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

Let's not forget that if you don't own an iPhone, or if it's not with you, you don't have CarPlay. Therefor, all of these vehicles need to have their own solution in addition to supporting CarPlay.

Also, I find it incredibly hard to believe that any of these auto manufacturers are willing to just give up the data acquired from users to Apple. There must be some sort of sharing agreement between Apple and the OEMs.

Personally, I'd really like Rivian to support CarPlay. There is no reason why Rivian's navigation could not be accessible through CarPlay.

Sponsored

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I won't rehash what I've been saying for over a year in various places, but yes it would be nice if Rivian would get their head out of their asses and support CarPlay. Those who don't want it, cool you're not being forced to. But those who want CP/AA are not the minority. Apple claims 98% of new cars sold today support CarPlay.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I don't care about CarPlay if Rivian would just add the Apple Music app.
This is why so many people want CarPlay: I don’t care about CarPlay if Rivian would just add…
Apple Music or Waze or Google Maps or Gaia GPS or OnX or ABRP or Zoom audio controls or Teams audio controls or voice texting or … etc.

When you add up all of those feature requests from all of those owners you know what you get?
I do care about CarPlay (or Android Auto) because as of today Rivian doesn’t have the resources to deliver every single owner’s killer app(s) to the vehicle’s hardware as well as screen projection does.

At least there’s nothing I’ve seen on the roadmap that Rivian has shared with us which can do what screen projection does.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Worth noting that the stuff Apple announced today is coming starting in late 2023. It likely needs to be integrated into the vehicle design. Today's R1Ts are not getting it.

Now to never come back to this thread... 🙂

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
If a car maker completely outsourced the UI to Apple then all people who buy that car now have to own an IPhone? It will just be like current cars, they have a native UI with certain features and offer CP/AA with other possible features. All the new version will do is offer display of additional data sources from the car just like my Pioneer Radio could do in my 2018 dodge van or thousands of other car models.

Rivian doesn’t need to add CP/AA but they need to do several things if they want to compete with cars that do:

1. Improved map data, traffic, POIs
2. Text messaging support for common phones
3. More choices for lossless digital music, ie any offline source
Let's be clear, this new Car Play is not envisioned to be a simple complementary mirroring app like the current version. They were let in the gate, and now it's a complete replacement, end of story. Android Automotive is a little different in that makers can put their own "skin" on it, just like phones and android, but they will almost surely just ruin it like Samsung, etc. do. There is no future for OEM infotainment if Car play does everything already. The only reason they exist now is to provide things Car play can't. It's clear as day, insourced vs. outsourced are the two approaches of the near future. Outsourcers will be paying Apple to license CP 2.0 and won't be able to justify spending on a redundant and inferior internal service.

Yep, and those are all relatively "easy" things that will be added soooooon. I have complete confidence they will be added, because they won't be offering CP/AA as substitutes. I can do without #2 personally, as it would still only be voice transcription which I don't like using. #3 is nice for those that care/can tell the difference, but I'd imagine it's low on their priority list. #1 should be #1 on their list for UI software, it's the only/biggest glaring weakness currently.
Sponsored