Sponsored

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S App version 1.14 available 1684324352941

Not sure how much I’ll be able to use the gear tunnel door opening from app. Usually I need to be right at it to grab the door and open or tot latches again, just slightly cracked.
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
1684324352941.jpeg

Not sure how much I’ll be able to use the gear tunnel door opening from app. Usually I need to be right at it to grab the door and open or tot latches again, just slightly cracked.
Same for me. I have to manually open mine with just the crack from the release. But I kinda like it that way. Same for my tailgate.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Same for me. I have to manually open mine with just the crack from the release. But I kinda like it that way. Same for my tailgate.
Yeah, that gear tunnel app release feels like they're trolling us. "Look what you can now do remotely...if they actually opened more than 1/4" and didn't relock after about 5 seconds" 😄

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Yeah, that gear tunnel app release feels like they're trolling us. "Look what you can now do remotely...if they actually opened more than 1/4" and didn't relock after about 5 seconds" 😄
My kid can't reach the button but he sure is able to open the door after I hit it. If I'm sitting down drinking a beer I could whip out the phone app to pop the door open for him instead of having to get up.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My kid can't reach the button but he sure is able to open the door after I hit it. If I'm sitting down drinking a beer I could whip out the phone app to pop the door open for him instead of having to get up.
A solid use case! 😄

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
They should include this use in the release notes....

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
It's probably most useful for clandestine operations. You can be sitting in the cafe, drinking your espresso, and when you get the text "The owl hoots nightly", pop open the gear tunnel.

Wait a few more minutes, and drive away. The feds will never know what's hidden inside your gear tunnel.

And when you get home, you can finally have that box of Cuban granola you've been craving all these years.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

1684324352941.jpeg

I agree the terminology here is poor, there will be no opening the gear tunnel from afar but since my gear tunnel buttons are inside my camper this is a huge win for me if I don't feel like opening the side doors on my camper.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
5 seconds?

Man. What I've give for 5 seconds on my drivers side. That thing re-latches in about 1.5 seconds. Gotta be quick after pushing the button if you want to get it open!

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
5 seconds?

Man. What I've give for 5 seconds on my drivers side. That thing re-latches in about 1.5 seconds. Gotta be quick after pushing the button if you want to get it open!
whatever the time is, it is ridiculously short 😄

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
The gear tunnel remote would be useful for the case where the beside buttons are covered by a rack or canopy, I suppose. But yeah, I have about a half second to grab mine before they latch.

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
The problem with opening gear tunnel from afar is that, unlike door locks and windows, it cannot be undone if you didn't intend it. I hope the feature has an 'are you sure?' popup.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The problem with opening gear tunnel from afar is that, unlike door locks and windows, it cannot be undone if you didn't intend it. I hope the feature has an 'are you sure?' popup.
If your latches are properly adjusted the door still maintains a seal after it relatches, but you'll have to push them closed to the second latch to stop getting the warning for a drive.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I'm sure there will be, there is such a warning for the tailgate
Sponsored