APP idea: combining elements of AirBnB and grassroots charging

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
By way of monitoring these forums I've discovered dead zones with charging across particular highway corridors. What do you guys think about an AirBnB style app where you rent out a room and access to a 220volt charger by the hour?

It seems like some of these charging deserts could be navigated with just a little bump to your SoC.

The app works via two types of users: consumers and the service providers. Service providers can sign up to provide the service, much like AirBnB, provided they have a spare bedroom and spare 220volt outlet which EV owners can plug their own level 2 charger into.

Consumers can log on the app, select their route, determine where they need to stop, search for service providers, contact the provider and schedule your time. They show up to the service provider location, plug in and can take a nap, relax, take a shower, uber to a restaurant, watch TV, or otherwise just wait patiently.

This service could be either what you need for a 2-3 hour boost with level 2 charging, or an overnight stay with charging in a location it would otherwise have not been available.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Won’t really work for me because I need destination charging and it would simply take too long unless it was an overnight stay. 220v home charger will likely only add ~20-25 miles per hour of charge to a Rivian.

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Won’t really work for me because I need destination charging and it would simply take too long unless it was an overnight stay. 220v home charger will likely only add 15 miles per hour of charge or less to a Rivian.
Rivian is claiming 25 miles an hour with a 48A EVSE.

Not sure how popular such an app would be (and renting a room by the hour has some connotations)

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Plug Share has a feature that's pretty close to this. You can toggle on "Home Chargers" in the app and see a list of residences who have chosen to offer assistance to travel. Many have a note asking you to call ahead and they'll make their charger available. You can "uber" somewhere while your vehicle charges, or sit in the Rivian and enjoy content on your tablet.

Your idea is a little more specific, of course, but it feels a bit too niche to really take off, imo. Sorry to be a Debbie-downer, but Plug Share has more broad appeal and already has a sizable user base, so it seems unlikely you'd reach critical mass.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Rivian is claiming 25 miles an hour with a 48A EVSE.

Not sure how popular such an app would be (and renting a room by the hour has some connotations)
Edited my post. I was thinking in terms of a J1772 commercial which only charges my Tesla at 19mph. My home charger did about 29mph. Given the Rivian consumption is more per mile than a Tesla, I’d assume somewhere in the 20-25mph range from a direct wired home charger.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Plug Share has a feature that's pretty close to this. You can toggle on "Home Chargers" in the app and see a list of residences who have chosen to offer assistance to travel. Many have a note asking you to call ahead and they'll make their charger available. You can "uber" somewhere while your vehicle charges, or sit in the Rivian and enjoy content on your tablet.

Your idea is a little more specific, of course, but it feels a bit too niche to really take off, imo. Sorry to be a Debbie-downer, but Plug Share has more broad appeal and already has a sizable user base, so it seems unlikely you'd reach critical mass.
Not thinking this will be a million dollar app. Just an idea that can get you through a deadzone if you didn't want to wait for the 400m pack or the RAN network to be built out to your satisfaction.

I didnt know about the plugshare feature though, that essentially serves this purpose.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Edited my post. I was thinking in terms of a J1772 commercial which only charges my Tesla at 19mph. My home charger did about 29mph. Given the Rivian consumption is more per mile than a Tesla, I’d assume somewhere in the 20-20mph range from a direct wired home charger.
The maths here might help understand charge range per hour:
Hardwired 48A charge on 60A circuit - 240V * 48A = 11520Wh
40A charge on 50A circuit - 240V * 40A = 9600Wh
32A charge on 50A circuit - 240V * 32A = 7680Wh

Rivian is expected to use about 450Wh a mile, possibly 500Wh, so here's charging miles/hr estimates:
48A - 23.04 to 25.6 miles/hr
40A - 19.2 to 21.33 miles/hr
32A - 15.36 to 17.06 miles/hr

Teslas are more efficient Wh/mile, so it's easy to estimate charging miles/hr by taking the Wh charging numbers & dividing by the Wh/mile consumption.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Teslas are more efficient Wh/mile, so it's easy to estimate charging miles/hr by taking the Wh charging numbers & dividing by the Wh/mile consumption.
It's worth noting that charging losses are ~10% (+/- 2%). The watt hour per mile consumption figure is usually measured from the battery. Only 90% of the power provided by the EVSE gets there.
The EPA MPGe and kWh/100 mile numbers take into account charging losses.
Sponsored