Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I like this but I donā€™t want to have to install this AND move my license plate AND come up with a way of lighting the license plate every time I plan to go off-roadā€¦ and then reverse the process when I get home. Lather, rinse, repeat. Because of the weight penalty and aerodynamic penalty I canā€™t see something external like this staying in place for anything other than trips which involve off-road driving.

The more I think about it, the more I think the best solution for me is something inside the cargo area. While others might not be willing to make that trade-off, Iā€™m comparing the R1S to a 2022 Defender and that only seats 5 adults so I wouldnā€™t be any worse off.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Here are the specs for the R1S I got from customer service a few weeks ago. Pretty much the same between the 5 and 7 seater except for cargo height is a 2.7 inches shorter for the 7 seater.

ā€¢ The cargo floor length behind third-row seats is 553 mm.
ā€¢ The cargo width behind third-row seats is 1298 mm.
ā€¢ The cargo floor length behind second-row seats is 1353 mm.
ā€¢ The cargo width behind the second-row seats is 1298 mm.
ā€¢ The cargo width minimum with 5 passenger seating is 1151 mm.
ā€¢ The cargo height with 7-passenger seating is 855 mm.

ā€¢ The cargo height with 5-passenger seating is 925 mm.

ā€¢ The cargo width minimum and maximum ranges from 1084-1496 mm.
ā€¢ The cargo volume behind the third-row seats is 499 liters.
ā€¢ The cargo volume behind the second-row seats with the third row folded is 1323 liters.
ā€¢ The cargo volume behind the first-row seats with the second and third-row seats folded down is 2499 liters.

ā€¢ The cargo height with 7-passenger seating is 855 mm. (33.6 inches)
ā€¢ The cargo height with 5-passenger seating is 925 mm. (36.4 inches)
Thank you for these dimensions! It looks like a 20ā€ AT wheel and tire setup will lay flat on the cargo floor behind the second row. I will just need to find something like this https://modernspare.com/product/modern-spare-carrying-case-28-x-6/ in the right size.

OP
OP
Apogee Off Road
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Toyota Tacoma, 2018 Toyota 4Runner,
Occupation
Off Road Accessories Manufacturer
Ethan-

Iā€˜m in Laguna Niguel and have a preorder for an R1S but I was late to the game so I probably wonā€™t do you much good except as a potential customer. Functional rock sliders are high on my list.

The most important thing I need for off-roading is a way ro carry a full-size spare. The SUV has room for a compact spare and nothing more. Because of the importance of weight and aerodynamics on an electric vehicle, Iā€™d love to have a way to carry a spare only when Iā€™m going on an off-road trip. The compact spare should be fine for daily on-road driving.

Maybe something could be designed which could attach to the hitch receiver and swing away or pivot down to allow the tailgate to operate normally. Ideally with a companion floor stand which could attach to the frame for storage in a garage. You could attach the stand and lower the air suspension as a back-saving strategy for installation and removal. Another possibility is a frame which could attach to tie down points in the cargo area which would mean no aerodynamic penalty. I imagine this would be a lot lighter than a hitch receiver mount so it should be easier to install and remove.

Because the details on the production vehicles arenā€™t out now (though they should be ā€œsoonā€) it is difficult to offer real suggestions until we see the product. Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™m not the only one who isnā€™t hitting a trail without a full-size spare, so please keep this need in mind since Rivian doesnā€™t seem to be addressing it.

Thanks!

-Rob

Hey Rob, thanks for reaching out. Its great to hear from an R1S guy in a sea of R1Ts.

Great info for the full size spare, this was something we were not aware of.

So far, all of the inquiries have been from R1T owners, so we would be more than happy for you to stop by in your R1S whenever you're ready.

Realistically, a tire carrier in the back of the R1S poses minimal aerodynamic loss, but does pose a lower departure angle since the rear is pretty square and close to the rear wheels. We've been very cognizant for high clearance products before, so hopefully we can combine a functional tire carrier with minimal departure angle hindrance. Are you looking for just an attachment for the hitch? Or a full wraparound bumper with the tire carrier attached? I like the stand idea as well, that would be helpful for those who don't want to run a tire carrier around town. Not exactly sure how feasible that is though. We would need a lot of orders to justify the design and testing.

Thanks! -Ethan

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I would love to help Apogee Off Road, but I am up in the SF Bay Area. Looking forward to seeing what you build.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Apogee Off Road
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Hi everyone.

I wanted to reach out again and see where everyone was at on their order.

I know Rivian once again delayed early orders but does anyone have a relatively close date?

We're super eager to start working with them.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Hi everyone.

I wanted to reach out again and see where everyone was at on their order.

I know Rivian once again delayed early orders but does anyone have a relatively close date?

We're super eager to start working with them.
Have you contacted Jeff Bezos?
Sorry couldn't resist. I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see any member deliveries until November unfortunately. Rivian is still officially stating customer deliveries begin in August... time will tell.
Do you have plans for a bed rack that is cab height for the R1T?

OP
OP
Apogee Off Road
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Have you contacted Jeff Bezos?
Sorry couldn't resist. I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see any member deliveries until November unfortunately. Rivian is still officially stating customer deliveries begin in August... time will tell.
Do you have plans for a bed rack that is cab height for the R1T?
Nah, he's a little occupied right now... :CWL:

We definitely have plans for a modular bed rack.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
It doesn't.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act defines what a manufacturer can and cannot do regarding warranty coverage. They can't void your warranty just because you took it apart. Nor can they void your warranty just for installing an accessory or using an aftermarket part. They can only deny warranty coverage if they can demonstrate (the burden is on them) that the aftermarket part/accessory or improper installation/use was the cause of the failure. And even if they did demonstrate that, the denial only applies for that specific failure.

For example, if you install an off-road light bar on your front bumper, and a week later your driver-side headlamp high beam stops working, Rivian must honor your warranty and replace the headlamp unless they can prove the light bar or your installation caused the failure. Now, if they did demonstrate that you tapped into a circuit that did cause the problem, they could deny the warranty claim -- but your overall vehicle warranty is still in tact. If a brake caliper locks up, a week later, Rivian has to warranty that, unless they can prove that failure was also caused by the light bar installation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnusonā€“Moss_Warranty_Act
Hey Commodore...You're spot on and I agree with everything you mention above...that said, my concern is that Rivian (and any carmaker) is likely to have more money to spend on attorney fees than I do so I do tend to take a measure of caution when modifying a new vehicle.

Disassembling and re-assembling shouldn't hurt anyone's cranium - unless they break something coming off or going on. Regardless, someone's gotta be the test case...guess it just comes down to whether you trust your mechanic...

Oh...and I'm in no danger of being the guinea pig cause I won't see a truck till early 2023 at best...;)

Good luck...be safe!

OP
OP
Apogee Off Road
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Hi guys,

I wanted to check back in.

We already have two individuals ready to come down and be an R&D test vehicle, but are just waiting on deliveries.

We still can't wait to join this awesome community.

If anyone has an R1S allocation, we are still looking there too!

Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
Can't wait to see the items they come up with.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Us too! But no one has committed to R&D yet...
My original delivery windows was Oct-Dec and I havenā€™t received an update yet so I am left with ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

I have another idea for carrying a full-sire spare in an R1S which I hope will work. If space permits, we need a piece which latches onto the tether anchor points on the backs of the 3rd row seats. In the middle of the piece there should be a threaded rod which has a large wing nut type piece bigger than the opening for the wheel center cap. The spare tire can go vertically (or close to it) against the backs of the third row seats and gets anchored in place via the wing nut to threaded rod to anchor piece.

OP
OP
Apogee Off Road
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
My original delivery windows was Oct-Dec and I havenā€™t received an update yet so I am left with ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

I have another idea for carrying a full-sire spare in an R1S which I hope will work. If space permits, we need a piece which latches onto the tether anchor points on the backs of the 3rd row seats. In the middle of the piece there should be a threaded rod which has a large wing nut type piece bigger than the opening for the wheel center cap. The spare tire can go vertically (or close to it) against the backs of the third row seats and gets anchored in place via the wing nut to threaded rod to anchor piece.
Oof, sorry to hear about the delivery date. Seems like Rivian has their head underwater trying to prioritize the deliveries... Unless you're rich and famous! But that's a whole other rabbit hole I don't want to get involved in

I hope that 3rd row seat can support the weight of a full size spare bouncing around in the desert! You'd also loose what little cargo space you had left... Unless you're talking about the seats folded down?

UGH there's so much we have in mind for these things!

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Oof, sorry to hear about the delivery date. Seems like Rivian has their head underwater trying to prioritize the deliveries... Unless you're rich and famous! But that's a whole other rabbit hole I don't want to get involved in

I hope that 3rd row seat can support the weight of a full size spare bouncing around in the desert! You'd also loose what little cargo space you had left... Unless you're talking about the seats folded down?

UGH there's so much we have in mind for these things!
Whenever it gets delivered is fine with me. Iā€™m hoping our Land Rover doesnā€™t go belly-up before then (turned 236,000 miles last night) but thatā€™s not Rivianā€™s problem and if thatā€™s my biggest issue in life then I am fortunate.

My expectation is that the bottom of the tire would be resting on the cargo area movable floor or even on the area under that so the weight will be carried by that so the piece on the rear seats only (?!) has to deal with the stress from bouncing, cornering, etc. Until I see an R1S in person this is all guesswork.
Sponsored