Anyone wondering about Tesla's SuC Payment Processing, Here's Some Insight

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
So, being the huge Elon fanboi, lover of everything he does and says and any planet he's ever walked on, I'm a member of the SoCal Tesla Club. I just received this email from them that I thought other brand EV owners might find interesting. Personally I think making a screen and payment gateway at the terminal is stupid and moving backwards in technology, but hey, I love every single thing Elon has ever done so that's just me.

But seriously, maybe it's worth filling out the survey. I intend to. And clearly Tesla is trying to gauge their next moves with the SuC.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone wondering about Tesla's SuC Payment Processing, Here's Some Insight 2021%20TOCLA%20Logo-new%20red
Tesla needs our help!
Rivian R1T R1S Anyone wondering about Tesla's SuC Payment Processing, Here's Some Insight Broken%20charger
Tesla has asked us to help let California know that installing screens and credit card readers at SuperCharger stations is not only expensive to set up and maintain, but far less efficient than just using the Tesla App. Please take the CARB payment survey at the link below and let your voice be heard!
-The TeslaClubLA Team

Here's the link to the survey: https://carb-evse-payments-outlook-.../EV-Charging-Survey/tt-i1xjAPpvymCevKZTTU4Yy7

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
So, being the huge Elon fanboi, lover of everything he does and says and any planet he's ever walked on, I'm a member of the SoCal Tesla Club. I just received this email from them that I thought other brand EV owners might find interesting. Personally I think making a screen and payment gateway at the terminal is stupid and moving backwards in technology, but hey, I love every single thing Elon has ever done so that's just me.

But seriously, maybe it's worth filling out the survey. I intend to. And clearly Tesla is trying to gauge their next moves with the SuC.

2021%20TOCLA%20Logo-new%20red.png
Tesla needs our help!
Broken%20charger.jpg
Tesla has asked us to help let California know that installing screens and credit card readers at SuperCharger stations is not only expensive to set up and maintain, but far less efficient than just using the Tesla App. Please take the CARB payment survey at the link below and let your voice be heard!
-The TeslaClubLA Team

Here's the link to the survey: https://carb-evse-payments-outlook-.../EV-Charging-Survey/tt-i1xjAPpvymCevKZTTU4Yy7
Thanks, I participated.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Same here. Although I’m not sure I helped the no screen cause.
My first choice is plug and charge, second choice is phone app. Tap and charge would probably be ok but then you start getting into higher security risk for skimmers even QR codes are risky. Especially when most of these charge stations are unmanned and subject to nefarious intent.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Having $5 or $10 sitting in several charging apps I may never use again and having to sign up for several of them I want CC as an option. If I have plug and charge, great. But I don't want to have to download and sign up for any more charging apps. It's stupid.

Also: thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Soo...you want payment to be restricted to people with smart phones that also have credit cards. Newsflash, but there are still folks out there without smart phones or credit cards. At the very least chargers will need to accept prepaid debit cards eventually. Else there will be a lot of folks who will never be able to own an EV. We've a long way to go before those who live in apartments, rentals, or otherwise can't charge at home to be able to own EVs with ease and that includes that initial purchase of a car. Why make charging even harder?

OP
OP

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
Soo...you want payment to be restricted to people with smart phones that also have credit cards. Newsflash, but there are still folks out there without smart phones or credit cards. At the very least chargers will need to accept prepaid debit cards eventually. Else there will be a lot of folks who will never be able to own an EV. We've a long way to go before those who live in apartments, rentals, or otherwise can't charge at home to be able to own EVs with ease and that includes that initial purchase of a car. Why make charging even harder?
I think what everyone wants is for us all to fill out the survey so that collectively our voices are heard. Whatever the results, unfortunetley it will not please everyone.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram

2021%20TOCLA%20Logo-new%20red.png
Tesla needs our help!
Broken%20charger.jpg
-The TeslaClubLA Team

Well, my father drives, and doesn't have a smartphone. He has a cell phone. Mother can't figure out how to order an Uber so messing with an app is hard. Let's not forget the large population of unbanked customers in the US. Will they never buy pre-paid debit cards with cash at grocery stores and need to charge?

While I will conceded, a key fob and RFID reader would be a good compromise for me, I still think it marginalizes the under-banked cash population.

All problems when EVs hit the $2,000 used market.

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

All problems when EVs hit the $2,000 used market.
The only thing left standing on Earth that far in the will be a conquest icon.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone wondering about Tesla's SuC Payment Processing, Here's Some Insight 15BF373F-36F0-45C0-8D07-887F99224881

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I don't really see what the fuss is all about.

All Tesla has to do is setup a fake terminal and its just as effective as EA's. :p
Sponsored