Sponsored

The moderator controls the content

NWCamper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Something, something
Be careful not to upset three men making money off your free posts...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Yep, it’s a shame they put decent speakers in when the source selection sucks. Rivian could have saved a few bucks and put in Chinese knockoffs or I could have saved a few bucks and went for the Explore package.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
I use Spotify, it’s the most popular streaming service by a pretty wide margin. This is definitely a generational thing. Old people like SiriusXM other oddities, everyone else thinks it’s irrelevant.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The Rivian Spotify implementation is garbage. App is slow when using touch interface. Unsafe to interact with while driving. Alexa integration is 100% broken. And even when set to “Very High” quality the sound quality is unimpressive.

Bluetooth is also buggy (lots of cut-outs/skips when first starting streaming and album art plus song info bugs) but I find streaming Apple Music over bluetooth to overall be a better experience than Spotify on the native system. It sounds better, too, which really is an indictment of how awful Spotify quality is (since Bluetooth is lossy).

I love my R1T, but the audio system, in general, is among the worst aspects of the truck. Spotify is possibly the top offender.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
The Rivian Spotify implementation is garbage. App is slow when using touch interface. Unsafe to interact with while driving.
I love my R1T, but the audio system, in general, is among the worst aspects of the truck. Spotify is possibly the top offender.
Exactly this ^^^. Spotify UI in the truck is simply terrible. I am primarily a podcast listener and the @#*$! Rivian version cannot/will not sync anything other than a randomly sorted list of shows I follow.

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I guess I'm in the minority here but I've had no issues with native Spotify. App runs fine and music quality is great.

I had never used Spotify until about a year ago, when I read that it would be the only built in audio streaming service I started using it. I have Spotify premium, so I'm not sure if that's the difference maker but I've had no issues with the interface and I've found that I actually do like Spotify better than other music streaming apps.

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
I was a SiriusXM user since 02, I started using Spotify 2.5hr yrs ago when I got my Tesla, it quickly replaced SiriusXM.

Seems fine in the Rivian although I'd like to be able to have user profiles tied to different Spotify accounts.

It works for me but I'm not going to say I'm so power user, I also know if I ask Alexa to play something she'll most likely try to tell me about some shell fish breeding habits or some other random not what I asked response. (I hate you Alexa so much!)

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
We also started using Spotify when e got our Volvos at the end of last year. I hate the regular radio and I was annoyed by using Bluetooth on my phone and I’ve had no complaints with it. We also use Spotify a ton at home, so it was worth it for what we paid for a year membership.

When I first got the truck, the Spotify app was super slow and I thought something was broken. It now seems to be working fine and I don’t have any complaints with it.

Alexa on the other hand seems like a pile of 💩 so far from my experience. I do miss Google in the Volvo I traded in….it was flawless and did exactly what I asked. I ask Alexa to navigate somewhere and she’s like nope, not having it…..you figure it out.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Tried it for 2-3 days. Kid tried to search for Master of Puppets and it failed then we ran out of skips. I can’t tell if it’s actually selecting the play list on the screen or not.

I’m doing Apple Music via Bluetooth now.

Phone management/integration is a complete amateur nightmare in the software’s current state.

RivRev

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I use Spotify, it’s the most popular streaming service by a pretty wide margin. This is definitely a generational thing. Old people like SiriusXM other oddities, everyone else thinks it’s irrelevant.
I am a 90s baby and I love XM. It is only about $5/month, never glitches, doesn't rely on cell service, doesn't have to update, don't have to deal with multiple accounts, and has curated music, sports, and news. I get in the car and it works. No clicking any buttons, no pulling out a phone, no touching the screen and scrolling. If I don't like what's playing, I go to the next station. I don't like having to deal with my phone or scroll through various playlists. I do like the Spotify "radio" feature...but that is essentially a more expensive and cumbersome version of XM radio.

I can't highlight enough how useful the satellite radio instead of internet/cell service radio is when adventuring--whether it's a roadtrip on interstates through the middle of nowhere or you are out deep in the backcountry--That is satellite radio's biggest advantage.

Sponsored

sr_dipstick

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Toyota FJ62 Land Cruiser; VW Mk1 Cabby
If you’re an iPhone user and have the SiriusXM app on your phone, you can create a Shortcut (or multiple shortcuts) to ask Siri to play your favorite stations. The only caveat is your phone must to unlocked for it to work. I’m also thinking of linking it to an NFC tag somewhere on my dash or center console so I can just tap my phone to launch my favorite station.

Deleted member 7086

The question is - why won’t Rivian cooperate and allow Rivian owners to install an after market Sirius/XM receiver?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The question is - why won’t Rivian cooperate and allow Rivian owners to install an after market Sirius/XM receiver?
What is preventing you? I'm not aware of Rivian actively preventing this. I recall reading about others who have successfully installed one of those external "dash appendages".

Deleted member 7086

There are three ways to add the after market Sirius/XM receiver. First with an AUX in port. Rivian does not have one in the cabin nor will they disclose if the infotainment unit has such a port. Second is a Bluetooth connection. The Rivian infotainment unit will not recognize the Sirius/XM Bluetooth cradle let alone pair with it. Rivian will not disclose their Bluetooth details nor assist in pairing the Sirius/XM cradle. Last is the ancient FM radio approach. Try to find an FM band with limited interference from the vehicle or surrounding FM stations and set the receiver to broadcast to that band. The FM reception by the Rivian infotainment unit is poor. Probably related to the Rivian being an all electric vehicle. However there is an FM Direct adapter which will automatically disconnect the vehicle’s FM antenna when the receiver is active and reconnect the FM antenna when the receiver is turned off. By disconnecting the vehicle antenna and only using the satellite antenna (different frequencies) much of the interference/static is eliminated. The problem is the adapter must be connected between the vehicle antenna and the radio/infotainment unit, typically where the FM antenna lead plugs into the side of the radio/infotainment unit. Rivian will not disclose where the infotainment unit is located, how to access it, nor where the FM antenna lead plugs in. The installation does not require cutting any wires just the installation of an adapter plug. I installed the Sirius/XM receiver and having tried other methods am relegated to using the FM broadcast method. The amount of static/interference present usually makes the Sirius/XM receiver a poor choice. If anyone could tell me where the FM lead can be accessed I would greatly appreciate it.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Alexa works well with Amazon Music....Amazon Music through Alexa would be the best quality with highest bitrate and to my ears, sounds amazing. But definitely needs an app.
Sponsored