Sponsored

Anyone remove A Pillar to install dashcam wiring yet?

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
The Pillar seems set up somewhat different than I'm used to. Or maybe it's just has strong clips. Anyway wanted to make sure I don't break anything.

Bonus question.

Anyone run the wiring to the back window camera yet for a two camera setup?
Sponsored

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I should walk over and ask my Rivian employee neighbor... He's out there right now doing some modifications with a factory CK slide out. ;)

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone remove A Pillar to install dashcam wiring yet? Screenshot_20230212_102541_Lorex Cloud

OP
OP
jollyroger

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Please do :like:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

You could save yourself the hassle and just tap into the mirror. This is what I did with my radar detector.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jollyroger

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
You could save yourself the hassle and just tap into the mirror. This is what I did with my radar detector.
Link? I don’t want to tap wires though

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic
I ran my wires for my BlackVue 2 channel dash cam along the upper windshield to the right a pillar then along the right headliner above front and rear doors to the rear window. Didn’t remove anything. Just ran it along the moulding. Got power using the 12v plug under the center screen. Ran that along the dash near the footwell back up the passenger A pillar to the dash cam. Every thing is hidden unless you stick you head under the center console area and you’ll see the 12v plug

Last edited:

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The Pillar seems set up somewhat different than I'm used to. Or maybe it's just has strong clips. Anyway wanted to make sure I don't break anything.

Bonus question.

Anyone run the wiring to the back window camera yet for a two camera setup?
Yes - I installed a BlackVue DR750S-2CH in my R1T; didn’t have to remove any trim pieces. To run the cable to the rear cam I just removed the door weatherstripping along the top of both the passenger front & rear doors and tucked the cable under the exposed edge of the headliner. Where it entered/exited that route I used a plastic trim tool to tuck it in the seams of the trim panels.

crymearivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Yes - I installed a BlackVue DR750S-2CH in my R1T; didn’t have to remove any trim pieces. To run the cable to the rear cam I just removed the door weatherstripping along the top of both the passenger front & rear doors and tucked the cable under the exposed edge of the headliner. Where it entered/exited that route I used a plastic trim tool to tuck it in the seams of the trim panels.
Did you hardwire or use the 12v plug as well?

If 12v - is it ignition switched? Or do you have to unplug when complete?

Appreciate any further details!

Thanks!

Sponsored

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Thanks!
I used plug that came with the BlackVue and have it plugged in to the socket underneath the main screen in the middle of the dash. That socket is essentially ignition switched - i.e., it only powers up when the vehicle wakes up and completely shuts off when the truck goes to sleep. It’s been plugged in there and running the dashcams while I drive for probably 7-8 months; I have never unplugged it and it has never drained the onboard 12v batteries.

OP
OP
jollyroger

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I have no idea how you removed the trim. It felt like it was glued on :oops:

I wound up using the 12 plug under the dash. Don’t think I’m going to use it anyway. Cabling from the power was tucked under the passenger dash. I found this odd little weatherstripping flap that slowed me to hide the wires up along the A pillar then to the front headliner. I took off the rear view mirror/camera housing and ran the wires through there. There is a little cutout in the front against the windshield where I threaded the power and rear view camera wires.

the cable to the back I just tucked under the headliner along the piano roof glass. The back of the headliner seems to be held up by magnets. I was able to get my hands through about halfway to the back. However, I wound up finding some extra wires and poked it through the headliner and the back window, just enough to where I grab it. I then used some duct tape to fish the actual camera wire from the headliner back out to the back window. That was for sure the hardest part.

it’s too dark to take pictures right now, but I’ll try to upload them tomorrow

HumanGenome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I routed through the a pillar and 12v plug for a Blackvue 2ch and had double wire on the a pillar. The only thing I couldn't figure out perfectly was the double wire on the a pillar and hiding the larger power cord against the windshield glass side, it is sligthly exposed. I suppose I need to figure out how to remove the entire alcantara panel on the a pillar to get a seamless install or tap into rearview mirror. I also had a hell of a time splicing my rear view coax, that was a pain in the ass. I still have an electrical tape mess there. Does anyone have any good tips on splicing that rear cam coax?

OP
OP
jollyroger

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I routed through the a pillar and 12v plug for a Blackvue 2ch and had double wire on the a pillar. The only thing I couldn't figure out perfectly was the double wire on the a pillar and hiding the larger power cord against the windshield glass side, it is sligthly exposed. I suppose I need to figure out how to remove the entire alcantara panel on the a pillar to get a seamless install or tap into rearview mirror. I also had a hell of a time splicing my rear view coax, that was a pain in the ass. I still have an electrical tape mess there. Does anyone have any good tips on splicing that rear cam coax?
As far as the rear camera, I just rolled up the USB wire in the headliner, I think I just used one of those little wire twist ties to keep it from unraveling. I don't have a coax cable for the rear camera.

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic

Thanks!
Just used the 12v plug. It powers off when the vehicle goes to sleep
Sponsored