Sponsored

Anyone prefer a third party bed cover tonneau / canopy?

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
In the meantime, Thule Sidekick Model number 682100. You could actually fit two side-by-side on the cargo bars for extra covered storage. Easier to remove than a bed cap.
Rivian R1T R1S Anyone prefer a third party bed cover tonneau / canopy? 1672178300626

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (broken), 20"], 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Silver Shield, manufactured in Phoenix, might be an option. It is sort of a tonneau which sits on top of the bed rails (and allows a few more inches of height inside the bed). It raises up on either side (or both sides at the same time). If one is picking up a bulky item(s), it can be driven with one side (or even both sides) up. I had one for many years on on the Nissan pickup I used to own.
Compatibility Issues might be the switches on top of the bed rail, and how much the spoiler sticks out behind the cab (which might interfere with raising the Silver Shield). Also, since it sits a few inches taller than the bed/tailgate, it may slightly restrict the rear camera. It will also have to bolt to the bed.
I don't have an R1T, yet, so I'm not sure whether these issues will be prohibitive. I spoke with customer service - he told me to bring mine by, and he would check to see whether they can make one for it. Price was $1900. Anyone that lives in the Phoenix area will have seen these on many trucks, over the years.
https://www.silvershieldsystem.com/

sandsk8erz400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
In the meantime, Thule Sidekick Model number 682100. You could actually fit two side-by-side on the cargo bars for extra covered storage. Easier to remove than a bed cap.
1672178300626.png
How did mounting the Sidekick go, did you have to drill new mounting holes thru it? The spec sheet for it says it only fits cross bars with a spread of 23-58" to 28".

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
How did mounting the Sidekick go, did you have to drill new mounting holes thru it? The spec sheet for it says it only fits cross bars with a spread of 23-58" to 28".
No new mounting holes required...no problem.

Sponsored

Jordman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328 D
Occupation
Retired
I haven't seen much discussion on this. If I'm buying an adventure truck with a short bed, i want a fiberglass canopy by someone like Leer or ARE. Why not make the power retracting cover optional instead of standard on the adventure trim? And for that matter, how long do you think it will take for those companies to come out with a canopy for the R1T? Im just a canopy guy all the way. Roof racks are great but they should be on top of a solid fiberglass canopy. That dry space is so valuable, perfect for dogs and gear. I literally can't imagine owning this truck without one. Who's with me?
Here in the northeast your canopy is called a cap. I will definitely put a cap on mine and have never thought the tonneau cover was very useful. I wonder how that tonneau cover would hold up with a foot of wet snow on it? I can't imagine it would be waterproof in that circumstance. It would be wonderful if someone produces a fiberglass one, but if they don't I'll make one.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Thanks for sharing this link. I just sent them a message. Does anyone know if you opt for no tonneau does it still have the rail track?
They have been, but Rivian has said that will stop, soon... So some people ordered manual or "no" cover and have rails... But future deliveries will not.

drbiggieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T - El Cap Granite
This looks great! Do the individual pieces stack up while on the rail, or is it basically all or nothing rolled up?

Would you mind please sharing the link? Very interested in this.

thanks!
Sponsored