Sponsored

Anyone plug an RV into the R1T bed outlet?

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I just tried and the outlet doesn’t deliver any power. I plugged in a Dewalt battery charger and that was powered.

I’m curious why my RV doesn’t pull anything. I will have to troubleshoot more later.
Sponsored

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
What RV are you trying to plug in, and how many amps does it draw? The Rivian can only supply 12-15 amps, and many RVs will draw up to 30 amps. Are you using an adapter of some kind?

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I just tried and the outlet doesn’t deliver any power. I plugged in a Dewalt battery charger and that was powered.

I’m curious why my RV doesn’t pull anything. I will have to troubleshoot more later.
As noted above, most smaller RV's draw 30 amps. Rivian doesn't put out that much power. Most RV's have a regular 110 plug adapter. You could use it and it would probably be fine for anything but the AC and microwave. Would likely power anything else in the RV just fine. But, you'll trip the circuit in the Rivian if you try to use either of those items.

The Rivian is very sensitive to grounding. Many 3-prong plugs will trip the circuit. I bought a few of these to bypass the grounding issues and most things work just fine, assuming they don't draw more than 1500w.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TXMFRY2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone plug an RV into the R1T bed outlet? 1666036683386

OP
OP
Ladiver

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I have a large 5th wheel with 50A service. Obviously I can’t get 50 from the Rivian. I have a Magnum inverter/charger that you can select the input Amps. I set that to 10A. I have an adapter the takes the 50A at the trailer and drops down to the normal 110V 3-prong. From there I use a heave duty extension cord to plug in. From the Rivian, I get nothing. From my house or any other standard plug, I can pull 10A, 110V.

@kizamybute' may be onto something with the 3 prong grounding. That is just odd that the Rivian wouldn’t like grounded plugs.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Yes! Three weeks ago went off-grid camping, plugged my trailer into bed outlet. Couldn't run both trailer AC and, well, anything else at the same time (not even a couple lights,) but as long as I left the AC off, I could do everything else fine. Used a few percent a day.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone plug an RV into the R1T bed outlet? IMG_7964
Sponsored