Sponsored

Anyone order a truck as early as FEB 2019 and still waiting....

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
welp...they emailed. Let's see. I clicked on all the links. Said I would follow up.

We’re extending you an opportunity to get an R1T configuration sooner, but first, you'll need to confirm if your delivery address is up to date.
Sponsored

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
Hang in there. At least it’s moving forward. Hopefully you will see yours soon

kewlasu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LA Silver Adventure Large Pack 21"
Clubs

I got the same email and the next day i got the email with my assigned guide. It has a link to schedule a call. I was able to schedule the call the next day and my guide was able to confirm my address. That day my invite to the 'shop' became available in my account. I also locked in my config, but told my guide I'm flexible in the color availability. Now just waiting to hear from my guide if there are any matches coming out of prod. Still keeping an eye out in the 'shop'. So far, as of this morning, no inventory available to display 🤔

Sponsored

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

And there was nothing in it...
Several members of the forum predicted this. ONCE AGAIN Rivian completely misread their customers. They don't understand just how flexible many are with their builds. They thought a few people here and there would be willing to change builds. Not most!

I wonder how many people get access to the Shop and they never see a truck for the whole week they have access? Thanks for nothing Rivian.

Rivian could / should implement two fixes for earlier preorder holders:
1) Let people select several choices instead of one. If one of their orphan choices pops up auto-assign this "good enough" choice by preorder date (as long as location criteria met)
2) Be up front with what parts they have / can build. Under those known constraints let people who want to reconfigure. Then rerun the delivery windows. Stop making us do detective work to figure out what's available.

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Several members of the forum predicted this. ONCE AGAIN Rivian completely misread their customers. They don't understand just how flexible many are with their builds. They thought a few people here and there would be willing to change builds. Not most!

I wonder how many people get access to the Shop and they never see a truck for the whole week they have access? Thanks for nothing Rivian.

1) Let people select several choices instead of one. If one of their orphan choices pops up auto-assign this "good enough" choice by preorder date (as long as location criteria met)
2) Be up front with what parts they have / can build. Under those known constraints let people who want to reconfigure. Then rerun the delivery windows. Stop making us do detective work to figure out what's available.
Had a 4PM call with my Rivian guide. Checked my phone and I don't see any missed calls.

martinb8

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y

@Atlrivian I understand your comments here, but the engineering, on the backend development of the site, to allow people to create multiple configurations would be quite a task and it's a reason why no other automaker does it. At some point, your configurations do get processed and built based on priority. You have to remember, the shop wasn't a sign that production was increasing, its simply there to expedite processing backlogged/rejected inventory. It will be empty at certain points probably and that'll happen more and more. I get how early reservation holders feel bad about the process, but the logistics in production and delivering a vehicle aren't as simple as ordering clothes online.

To my knowledge, those who don't choose a truck in their shop window have gotten invites to come back at another time.

martinb8

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Had a 4PM call with my Rivian guide. Checked my phone and I don't see any missed calls.
@Blackhatch I don't believe they are working today due to Juneteenth. Probably a scheduling error.

Sponsored

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

@Atlrivian I understand your comments here, but the engineering, on the backend development of the site, to allow people to create multiple configurations would be quite a task and it's a reason why no other automaker does it. At some point, your configurations do get processed and built based on priority. You have to remember, the shop wasn't a sign that production was increasing, its simply there to expedite processing backlogged/rejected inventory. It will be empty at certain points probably and that'll happen more and more. I get how early reservation holders feel bad about the process, but the logistics in production and delivering a vehicle aren't as simple as ordering clothes online.

To my knowledge, those who don't choose a truck in their shop window have gotten invites to come back at another time.
Your response is exactly how I would expect a Rivian software engineer to respond. Many excuses of why something can't be done with little to no empathy for the many of us who have been waiting years.

I am not a computer programmer, and I get this is a big ask. But there MUST be some system better than the current one.

It is extremely cold comfort that "at some point, your configurations do get processed and built based on priority." What is the priority? What configurations can I order such that it will actually get built before 2024?

If you are knowledgeable re: these backend systems, do you have any suggestions beyond the equivalent of shut up, wait, and be happy with what you get?

martinb8

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Your response is exactly how I would expect a Rivian software engineer to respond. Many excuses of why something can't be done with little to no empathy for the many of us who have been waiting years.

I am not a computer programmer, and I get this is a big ask. But there MUST be some system better than the current one.

It is extremely cold comfort that "at some point, your configurations do get processed and built based on priority." What is the priority? What configurations can I order such that it will actually get built before 2024?

If you are knowledgeable re: these backend systems, do you have any suggestions beyond the equivalent of shut up, wait, and be happy with what you get?
@Atlrivian but it’s not unique to just Rivian. Ford is prioritizing some builds Of their Lightning, but they haven’t explicitly said what they are. To some degree, Rivian has been more informative as to what they are or more importantly not prioritizing such as Ocean Coast or max packs. I’m not thrilled about how they’ve handled the communication and it could be much better, but no auto manufacturing is coming out and explicitly saying what they can prioritize because the supply chain is ever changing right now. Chips are clearly short supply, right now it appears they’re going through a wheel shortage, obviously Ocean Coast is a mess. Next month supply for black mountain interiors could be low and prioritization could shift to forest green. Given a lead time in a truck to be ordered and into and out of production seems to be about 6-8 weeks, getting much more detailed in how they are batching could cause the opposite effect with people shifting their orders to get earlier then being missed when supplies for those prioritized orders can’t be met because of the shift.

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
@Atlrivian but it’s not unique to just Rivian. Ford is prioritizing some builds Of their Lightning, but they haven’t explicitly said what they are. To some degree, Rivian has been more informative as to what they are or more importantly not prioritizing such as Ocean Coast or max packs. I’m not thrilled about how they’ve handled the communication and it could be much better, but no auto manufacturing is coming out and explicitly saying what they can prioritize because the supply chain is ever changing right now. Chips are clearly short supply, right now it appears they’re going through a wheel shortage, obviously Ocean Coast is a mess. Next month supply for black mountain interiors could be low and prioritization could shift to forest green. Given a lead time in a truck to be ordered and into and out of production seems to be about 6-8 weeks, getting much more detailed in how they are batching could cause the opposite effect with people shifting their orders to get earlier then being missed when supplies for those prioritized orders can’t be met because of the shift.
Like I’ve said before a 5th grader with a spreadsheet could do it better. A sorted list with a phone call or 2 would give the early res holders many warm fuzzies

martinb8

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Like I’ve said before a 5th grader with a spreadsheet could do it better. A sorted list with a phone call or 2 would give the early res holders many warm fuzzies
@MNLightning I 100% agree the earliest reservation holders should have a guide assigned by now. Then again, where do you draw the line at "early reservation holders"? Obviously, anyone that ordered within a year of their announcement I say, but there will always be people who want special treatment, but yes, communication could be better. I just think the overall production process is a mess and it's just exasperated given they are a start up company.
Sponsored