Sponsored

Anyone notice strange results towing after the latest software update?

2Labs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 85D
Before the latest software update, I know it had some weird results sometimes while in tow mode (635 miles range or something), but when it wasn't doing that...it was pretty accurate and conservative on the towing. When I would switch into tow mode, it would immediately go half of the range, but then as I drove it would re-calculate and adjust once it had some data on the kind of efficiency I was getting.

This morning, I towed my empty 12' utility trailer (with a gate) to work this morning. It's 37 miles. I charged to around 87% before I left, and I had 288 miles when I left. The truck never re-adjusted the miles when switching to tow mode. It kept giving me these improbably mile range estimate. I got horrible efficiency driving to work with this 1k lb, empty trailer (all because of the gate). I averaged 1.1 mi/kwh, but the entire time the truck never re-adjusted the estimated miles remaining. It just ticked away very very fast at the miles.

I used 100 "miles" off of the battery to go 37 miles this morning, pretty bad with an empty and lightweight trailer. But the truck is still telling me that I have 188 miles left on the battery, even when averaging 1.1 mi/kwh. That seems wildly inaccurate. I'm thinking I probably have closer to 90 miles left.

Anyone else see a change in towing behavior?
Sponsored

BHWhite

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Audi Q7
Occupation
Small Business Owner
Before the latest software update, I know it had some weird results sometimes while in tow mode (635 miles range or something), but when it wasn't doing that...it was pretty accurate and conservative on the towing. When I would switch into tow mode, it would immediately go half of the range, but then as I drove it would re-calculate and adjust once it had some data on the kind of efficiency I was getting.

This morning, I towed my empty 12' utility trailer (with a gate) to work this morning. It's 37 miles. I charged to around 87% before I left, and I had 288 miles when I left. The truck never re-adjusted the miles when switching to tow mode. It kept giving me these improbably mile range estimate. I got horrible efficiency driving to work with this 1k lb, empty trailer (all because of the gate). I averaged 1.1 mi/kwh, but the entire time the truck never re-adjusted the estimated miles remaining. It just ticked away very very fast at the miles.

I used 100 "miles" off of the battery to go 37 miles this morning, pretty bad with an empty and lightweight trailer. But the truck is still telling me that I have 188 miles left on the battery, even when averaging 1.1 mi/kwh. That seems wildly inaccurate. I'm thinking I probably have closer to 90 miles left.

Anyone else see a change in towing behavior?
I have noticed range shifts based on the weight in my trailer and my results seem more intuitive than yours so far in that range adjusts upward with less weight and really far upward when going downhill for a while.

EhrenT

First Name
EHREN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Silverado 2500HD and samauri
Occupation
Audio engineer
Clubs

I have been seeing some really off estimates for the last several months. It’s really a bummer, because it used to work really well. It makes it difficult towing any distance when you can’t estimate how many miles are left, since every mile counts and efficiency can change so drastically with rain, temp, speed, wind, etc. I use the range est to know if I need to slow down, charge or take a different route. Have been hoping it would be fixed over the last couple updates, but so far no. Just hit update tonight, so will see, but didn’t see anything on the update list this time.

HA-Opec

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
No Bueno. Thanks for the tip though. I tow at least once a week so next time I'll check.
For the most part, I've always found the estimator pretty good except for the old days when the estimated miles was drastically different from the nav while towing, it was eventually corrected.
Better than my Tesla which just assumes I'm not towing at all and says I can go 250 miles!

Sponsored

pickupman2022

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Fleet Support
My towing range currently shows more than all-purpose, almost as much as conserve. Happened as I towed my boat (about 3,500 ILB.) 80 miles. I emailed Rivian pictures of the screens and they replied they are aware and working on it.

PlopPlop

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T
Occupation
Owner, SB
I pull multiple trailers, some heavy (9,000 pounds) and some light (1,000 pounds). I have found the range estimator wildly off on both. Last week I had my light trailer with 120 miles range in tow mode yet I could not make it 45 miles home without charging.

HA-Opec

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
This is pretty ridiculous.. At the very least tow mode shouldn't read TWICE the range of conserve mode..
This happened to me today and actually almost really screwed me because I didn't realize that it was 4x off my range and didn't pay attention to my battery percentage and do napkin math, that the R1t obviously has a problem doing..
I drove 5 miles at 0%, with my car trailer and got speed limited down to about 40mph. Luckily there was construction and I could go that slow.
It's estimating over 500miles of range in tow mode..

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone notice strange results towing after the latest software update? 20230330_155141

clownsmashd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - LE Green/20" AT/BM -- Chevy BOLT EUV
Occupation
Data Scientist/Engineer
Clubs

I did my first tow test today and I saw the exact same issues you are reporting. Initial range cut in half then slowly worked it's way back to what it would be not towing and never adjusted based on the actual current efficiency.

Sponsored

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
I towed last weekend about 42 miles. Usually when hooking up and starting Tow mode the mileage would have changed to about have the range. After the last round of updates, I was shocked that the reported range at 100% charge was still 233 miles on the 20” AT tires In tow mode.

I must say, I don’t trust that. I didn’t run into any issues as again, pulling 42 miles through the mountains wasn’t a problem either way.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone notice strange results towing after the latest software update? IMG_2791

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I just returned from a similar trip as Underwirled with very similar results. Crazy, numbers that simply cannot be real in terms of miles or efficiency. Many others are reporting similar "craziness" as far as towing range estimates go; especially since the last update. But it appears Rivian is actively working on the problem.

For those that have not seen the other thread here , these notes from a Rivian Stories event with Wassym Bensaid (VP of Software Development) are worth a read.

From those notes, relevant to this thread:

" bed camera will be enabled for use and available for things like towing. this is planned to be part of a larger “towing update” that will include things like trailer profiles, etc. Eta for that update is summer "

There are many any other items of general interest there also.
Sponsored