Sponsored

Anyone looking at getting a snow plow attaching to front hooks?

orionexp

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Adventure
Occupation
retired
I’m not sure if this is possible. I’ve seen comments, not in relation to any particular product, that the R1T isn’t suited/strong enough (attachment points?)to do this.

this would really be a game changer for me because the area I have to clear is close to 3-4000 ft.². And my snowblower doesn’t work well with wet snow which is pretty common here.

what are your thoughts on this? Found anything?
Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Other forum posters have complained about the incredible acceleration in reverse. I sense an interesting solution to your problem.... at least less foolish than doing donuts in a lake or playing tug of war using a trailer hitch.

OP
OP
orionexp

orionexp

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Adventure
Occupation
retired
that would be interesting... I fear a plow would block the camera. But the side cams might be enough. A front plow would be much easier.

kewlasu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LA Silver Adventure Large Pack 21"
Clubs

I don't think they designed the truck with snowplowing in mind.

Siguy90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
A rear tow hitch mounted plow would be the best option imo. Works on a lot of ICE cars (even smaller hatchbacks) so it should be no problem for the Rivian especially if you just as much power in reverse as you do going forward.

Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
that would be interesting... I fear a plow would block the camera. But the side cams might be enough. A front plow would be much easier.
They need to allow the gear tunnel in reverse. The LP cam is useless with anything attached unless you like looking at your hitch.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Buy a beater truck for plow duty. I think it's crazy to do that to a R1T. But it's your money, so whatever floats your boat...

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
One of the big companies will probsbly make adapters that attach to the same points as the front tow hooks.

Personally I wouldn‘t consider attaching a plow to my new $130k electric pickemup that has zero provisions for it. I like having a warranty…

cheap and cheerful high mileage 3/4 ton with snow plow prep in one’s fave big 3 flavour would be my pick.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Not a Rivian, but certainly seems like the Rivian should work at least as good as this.

OP
OP
orionexp

orionexp

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Adventure
Occupation
retired
I would think someone would come up with something that works with the tow hooks. Definitely an easier starting point then the Tesla.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve been pushing snow around for over 40 years with tractors, pickups and dump trucks at various times. I currently have 5000 sq ft I plow at home (long driveway, 3 car garage area) and another 25,000 sq ft or so at one of my businesses. I’ve seen the damage plowing can do to vehicles.

Even with you trying be careful since it’s your daily driver, plowing can be hard on a properly equipped truck. As much as I would love to plow with my upcoming R1S (clearance, power, weight are all perfect) I’m unlikely to do it. Plow mounts have multiple attach points, a minimum of 4, sometimes more. I’m very skeptical that the tow hook mounts are strong enough, and oriented properly, to take the stress of the plow hitting a buried parking block, pavement seam, or rock hard ice chunk. Also, remember that if it does fail, there’s a good chance you are going to have front end body damage due to the plow jamming under the truck. Ouch.

As @crashmtb said, it’s probably better to buy a used pickup with plow. I’ve seen them for 5k in my area. That’s approaching the cost of just a new plow. 9 years ago, my medium duty plow with installation was $3400. I’m keeping my Avalanche for plowing and don’t mind putting maintenance/repair money into it just for that reason.

Or, if you can justify a toy for other uses, a new or used 4WD tractor or UTV with a cab and plow might be an option?

Last edited:

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I would think someone would come up with something that works with the tow hooks. Definitely an easier starting point then the Tesla.
Aside from the fact that you’d need a minimum of one more attachment point not directly in line with the original two, there are a couple considerations that make me think it might not be so simple.

First, if the structure behind the hooks was designed only for stresses pulling on them, but not pushing, it could be that they’d break pretty quickly.

Second, there is so little space between the hooks and the surrounding plastic I don‘t think you could fit anything in there which could do the job without damaging surrounding trim while installing or using.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
I would go for this before buying a second truck. Has to be cheaper. Way more fun. Just sit in the toasty warm Rivian seats to supervise/drive.

The driver even has a second useful job.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone looking at getting a snow plow attaching to front hooks? 1664638542486

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I’m not sure if this is possible. I’ve seen comments, not in relation to any particular product, that the R1T isn’t suited/strong enough (attachment points?)to do this.

this would really be a game changer for me because the area I have to clear is close to 3-4000 ft.². And my snowblower doesn’t work well with wet snow which is pretty common here.

what are your thoughts on this? Found anything?
Even a "pro" hydraulic blade on the front of an HD pickup is a lightweight tool, not suited to heavy, wet snow, it's for skimming light stuff and pushing slush to the side. My ski cabin has a shared half mile of steep asphalt. The pickup can do a run to push off a light overnight snowfall to get the road open quickly in the morning or give it a groom late on a Friday night for the weekenders to arrive after a long drive and not have to chain up, but anything more than a few inches of fresh stuff and the Holder has to come out.
You could put a very lightweight blade on the front, but if you've ever attached one of these things, they assume the vehicle has a conventional chassis and bumper bar and you have no qualms about roughing up the truck.
Anyway, the pickup really works hard with that blade on the front (it's set up with a heavier front end, but it's still tough work for the engine and transmission to deal with the shocks and loads of running through snow. I certainly wouldn't be putting the show pony R1T to work as a draft horse. : )
Sponsored

Last edited: