Sponsored

Anyone in Texas receive their plates for their R1?

BuzzL8ghtYears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Wanted to get an idea if people in Texas are being notified to self register or if Rivian has been successful in getting plates to owners.
Sponsored

metroman99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3, Chevy Volt
Wanted to get an idea if people in Texas are being notified to self register or if Rivian has been successful in getting plates to owners.
I got my truck 4 weeks ago, and just got my plates yesterday...no problems at all

OP
OP

BuzzL8ghtYears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
I got my truck 4 weeks ago, and just got my plates yesterday...no problems at all
Which city, if you don't mind me asking? I am at almost 7 weeks of ownership and no plates.

Edit: ignore my city question - I see you're in Plano.

metroman99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3, Chevy Volt
Which city, if you don't mind me asking? I am at almost 7 weeks of ownership and no plates.

Edit: ignore my city question - I see you're in Plano.
Yes, Plano. The plates came in a UPS package from the Rivian service center in Dallas.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I got my first truck in March in SA. and never received the title or plates...Rivian actually asked me if I had the title a few weeks ago. I've had my new one for a month....and no plates or title yet.

Sponsored

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
I received my R1T on March 31st. Plates showed up very end of June via FedEx.

Jsidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
Got my R1T in mid-May, but no plates yet here in ATX. Temp Tag doesnt expire until August...

OP
OP

BuzzL8ghtYears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Got my R1T in mid-May, but no plates yet here in ATX. Temp Tag doesnt expire until August...
same - mine expires on 8/30. So not too worried since we are in Mid July. But I've never seen plates take this long.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I got my R1T March 21st and got my plates 1.5 weeks ago after having to self register. My dealer tags expired June 17th and I had to call Rivian and RegUSA countless times to find out what was going on and get the necessary documents to eventually self register.

DO NOT assume anything is being handled properly or believe them when they tell you that “DMV has your paperwork and they are just running behind.” Call your DMV and confirm whether or not that is true because it was categorically false in my case and delayed my realization that the DMV never even got my paperwork and nothing was getting done. As I got closer to my dealer tags expiring, my guide assured me that they would overnight me new temporary tags if I didn’t have my plates in time but that too was a lie.

I strongly recommend self registering and skipping the chance that Rivian or RegUSA will drop the ball. In Texas, you need the following to self register:
1. MCO - certificate of origin
2. Bill of sale
3. Purchase agreement
4. Proof of insurance
5. Proof of safety inspection
7. TX DMV Application 130U
8. Proof of odometer inspection *

*Rivian sent me this and I brought it to DMV but not sure that it’s required

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone in Texas receive their plates for their R1? rivian-tonneau

Last edited:

Dreamwater

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Suburban Z71, 1977 CJ5, 2011 Infinity M37
My temp plates expired June 22nd. I’m in Houston. Guide asked if I wanted to self-register and I told her no. I have a busy summer so maybe I’ll do it after another month. Curious how long it will take without intervention.

Sponsored

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Technically vehicles are supposed to be registered after 30 days of sale, the IL temp tag doesn't extend this.

There are mandatory late title fees, mandatory late tax payment fees, and you can be cited (with $200 fee) after 30 days.

I've not received my title/tag and my local bank is threatening to apply penalties because it is not yet titled in Texas as per Texas law (and my loan agreement).

Last edited:

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Title: "Failure to title within the 30 days results in an automatic $25 penalty, plus another $25 for each month the title is late. There are no waivers for these penalties, which means the county tax office and the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles cannot reduce or forgive what you may owe."

Tax: "Penalty for Late Payment by Purchaser, Operator or Dealer. The CTAC will assess a 5 percent penalty if the purchaser, operator or licensed dealer does not remit the motor vehicle tax by the 30th day (or within 60 days of purchase for active-duty military personnel). If the payment is not remitted within another 30 days of its original due date, the CTAC will assess another 5 percent penalty, for a total of 10 percent. The penalty is based on the amount of motor vehicle tax due and applies to any motor vehicle, including those unregistered and untitled, on which the responsible party did not timely pay the tax. The minimum amount of penalty is $1. Penalty remains due even if the delay is beyond the control of the purchaser, operator or dealer."

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Technically vehicles are supposed to be registered after 30 days of sale, the IL temp tag doesn't extend this.

There are mandatory late title fees, mandatory late tax payment fees, and you can be cited (with fee) after 30 days.

I've not received my title/tag and my local bank is threatening to apply penalties because it is not yet titled in Texas as per Texas law (and my loan agreement).
Yup - I had to pay about $600 in fees as a result. I’m not sure if Rivian was hoping that the “newly signed” purchase agreement would negate that but no such luck. Sad thing is that I was so happy to finally be able to get my plates that I really didn’t sweat the extra $$$.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Yup - I had to pay about $600 in fees as a result. I’m not sure if Rivian was hoping that the “newly signed” purchase agreement would negate that but no such luck. Sad thing is that I was so happy to finally be able to get my plates that I really didn’t sweat the extra $$$.
I don't think Rivian knew or understood this. I asked for an ETA on June 6th. Then on the 24th offered to do it myself. Rivian (and myself) were surprised when my bank called their customer support line. Every time I have been reminded by Rivian that the temp tag is still not expired (yet) as if that is the deadline and I had to push back twice that IL temp tag expiration is unrelated to title/tax requirements in Texas.

I have not escalated yet because "it's with the state" and trying to work through the normal channels. But if they don't arrive by end of this week I will escalate not just for myself but to make sure Rivian understands for future owners it's not as simple as IL temp tags expiring and getting a ticket... They need to enable owners to be able to register within 30 days of ownership in TX.

Last edited:

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I don't think Rivian knew or understood this. I asked for an ETA on June 6th. Then on the 24th offered to do it myself. Rivian (and myself) were surprised when my bank called their customer support line. Every time I have been reminded by Rivian that the temp tag is still not expired (yet) as if that is the deadline and I had to push back twice that IL temp tag expiration is unrelated to title/tax requirements in Texas.

I have not escalated yet because "it's with the state" and trying to work through the normal channels. But if they don't arrive by end of this week I will escalate not just for myself but to make sure Rivian understands for future owners it's not as simple as IL temp tags expiring and getting a ticket... They need to enable owners to be able to register within 30 days of ownership in TX.
It’s unfortunate that TX doesn’t have an online way to check the status of your registration like other states do, but it may be worth calling your local DMV, giving them your VIN, and have them query your status to ensure that they have your documents and your registration is truly in process. My DMV was surprisingly willing to do this for me on a couple of occasions while I was in the fact-finding portion of my journey.
Sponsored