Sponsored

Anyone in Portland, OR waiting on accessories? My friend has them.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Apparently someone from Portland filled in their old address when they ordered their accessories (or Rivian used the wrong address).

My friend posted on Twitter that he got two boxes delivered to his house, and Rivian wants him to cart them back to a UPS store (rather than sending UPS to come get them).
Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
How bizarre....Rivian asked some random stranger to go out of their way to send it back? Pretty sure they can legally keep it if they want.

If you didn't say it was your friend I'd be worried this is the start of some elaborate shipping scam.

OP
OP
mgc0216

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

How bizarre....Rivian asked some random stranger to go out of their way to send it back? Pretty sure they can legally keep it if they want.

If you didn't say it was your friend I'd be worried this is the start of some elaborate shipping scam.
My friend and his partner just moved into the house a few months back, so they think this is the previous owner.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
My friend and his partner just moved into the house a few months back, so they think this is the previous owner.
Oh yeah, and good on them and you for helping find the owner, just dumb of whoever that was at Rivian who asked them to take it to UPS.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

If they weigh 7,000 lbs. each, and would barely fit in a garage, I'd be more than happy to bring my flatbed by first thing tomorrow. 😉

Hopefully, one is a little shorter than the other.
🚙 🛻

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yes to missing accessories in Portland. If the address is on Delmont Ave or NW 160th Ave they could be mine.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

For what it's worth the rumor mill has it that Rivian is sending accessories to old addresses (I assume from when the reservation was made) instead of to the address where they delivered the vehicle.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Yeah, their account system is seriously broken. I discovered that while the truck is assigned my current address, all the accessories are assigned an old address. You can add and remove them, it still shows the old address. (You have to check the JSON blob returned from the server to see this. It's not visible anywhere in the account page.)

Much worse, I wrote in to customer support. They already know about this. The poor customer support people can manually fix the address, and it still reverts to the wrong one! Their solution right now is to ship stuff to the wrong address, wait for it to be returned, and then manually send it to the right address.

This is straight from CS:

[support]: We change it internally and the system defaults it back to the incorrect address. We're working on a resolution and will be able to send the items off again directly to you. I'm not sure when the issue will be successfully resolved but we're on it!
I'm not sure how you code something so poorly that it retains an incorrect address in a place nobody can edit, but their entire order & delivery system is seriously janky.

I now think this is the real reason for:

• The inability to give us delivery estimates
  • The extremely slow roll back on pricing
  • The slow, and seemingly manual, "uncancellation"
  • The arbitrary and frustratingly random order of deliveries
I'm starting to wonder if they just let some interns build the entire ordering system last minute. 🤨

OP
OP
mgc0216

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

That's absolutely wild.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yeah, their account system is seriously broken. I discovered that while the truck is assigned my current address, all the accessories are assigned an old address. You can add and remove them, it still shows the old address. (You have to check the JSON blob returned from the server to see this. It's not visible anywhere in the account page.)

Much worse, I wrote in to customer support. They already know about this. The poor customer support people can manually fix the address, and it still reverts to the wrong one! Their solution right now is to ship stuff to the wrong address, wait for it to be returned, and then manually send it to the right address.

This is straight from CS:

I'm not sure how you code something so poorly that it retains an incorrect address in a place nobody can edit, but their entire order & delivery system is seriously janky.

I now think this is the real reason for:

• The inability to give us delivery estimates
  • The extremely slow roll back on pricing
  • The slow, and seemingly manual, "uncancellation"
  • The arbitrary and frustratingly random order of deliveries
I'm starting to wonder if they just let some interns build the entire ordering system last minute. 🤨
Worst part is how many of those packages are just going to be lost…. And how long is it going to take Rivian to make it right.

mpp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Audi R8, BMW M3, Toyota FJ Cruiser
What's the name on the packages? If it is your friend's name somehow they are considered "unsolicited goods" and your friend can keep the items and is under no obligation to return them. If it is a different name then Rivian should send the shipper to come collect the items. Your friend is under no obligation to bring them anywhere. Rivian can ask send a shipper to pick them up however.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
What's the name on the packages? If it is your friend's name somehow they are considered "unsolicited goods" and your friend can keep the items and is under no obligation to return them. If it is a different name then Rivian should send the shipper to come collect the items. Your friend is under no obligation to bring them anywhere. Rivian can ask send a shipper to pick them up however.
If it were me, I would charge Rivian for storage fees if they want the packages back! I don't understand why Rivian won't just send an employee at the Portland service center (or whatever it's called) and pick them up as soon as they found out about it.

GR

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

If it were me, I would charge Rivian for storage fees if they want the packages back! I don't understand why Rivian won't just send an employee at the Portland service center (or whatever it's called) and pick them up as soon as they found out about it.

GR
Or as a good gesture offer them a test drive of an R1T and just get the packages while you’re there :)
Sponsored